Maternal & Child Community
MILK OF MAGNESIA DURING PREGNANCY?????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

MILK OF MAGNESIA DURING PREGNANCY?????

I am 18 weeks and have had the worse constipation? Anybody else experiencing horrible constipation. I know I can take milk of magnesia during pregnancy, but is it alright to take a dose every night before bedtime? It seems to help me a good bit, but I don't want to be doing anything to harm the babies. Yes, we are having TWINS. We lost our 4 1/2 month old baby girl on January 2, 2003, so I guess the Lord is double blessing us at this point. I hope everything continues to go well. I have very nervous about every little thing that happens. Thanks for your input about milk of magnesia.

Angela
It is never a good idea to become dependent on something for your bowels. Here and there isn't a problem, but over time it can cause your bowels to lose their ability to function on their own as they become accustom to the MOM (milk of mag)

Try adding extra fiber, like metamucil or benefiber. Since those are actually bulking agents, they won't be harmful in long term use. As a former nurse in a nursing home I can tell you we gave our residents benefiber daily (for years beofre it was even sold to the public) and only busted out the MOM if they hadn't gone for 2-3 days and sparingly at that.

I have also used those wafers from Metamucil (I am also having severe constipation this time around) they taste great, but must be taken with water otherwise after your saliva hits it it swells!! They work pretty well otherwise.

Drink a ton of water and possible start eating some dried fruit like prunes or apricots. I have also found a large glass of white grape and pear or apple juice helps  "move things along".

Good luck!

Andrea
Pregnant or not, whenever I've been constipated I had a bowl of Kellogg's All Bran w/skim milk.  It's a Godsend for me.  Hope you have a wonderful pregnancy with your blessed twins : )
All Bran? Hmm, sounds like a good idea. I have quite an aversion to milk right now, but as that passes I will have to give it a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Andrea
My two cents...

1. Oatmeal
2. Cranberry Juice (They say Prune is the best, but I can't stand the taste) :)

Congrats on your TWO little ones!

-Heather
Thanks everyone for the tips. I have tried Metamucil, Citracil, etc., but guess I can try it again. It wasn't doing anything for me. I try to drink a good bit of water a day, but I honestly don't like water that much. Thanks again.
If the metamucil doesn't work, try juice : ) Like I said, for whatever reason Welch's White Grapa and Pear does it for me and it tastes great (I have never been able to drink prune juice, especially pregnant)

Another thing I use (I was "fortunate enough to not only be lactose intolerant but also have a real milk allergy) but whenever constipation gets to be too much, I skip my lactaid and have abig glass of my son's whole milk. Works everytime!

Not that taking MOM will be harmful if done occasionally. It is just never a good idea to use laxatives daily as your bwoels develop a dependence on them and stop functioning on their own as time passes.

Talk with your OB, see what they have to say. They may have some better ideas.

Andrea
Actually, since Milk of Magnesia is not a stimulant, you don't need to worry about your bowls growing complacent without it.  

"Milk of magnesia is a saline type laxative. This means that the magnesia acts to pull a salt or saline solution into the intestines from the blood. This excessive fluid then provides a flushing or laxative action within the intestines."

I do agree that adding more fiber to your diet is a good idea though, and trying to get things to move 'naturally' is the 'ideal' way to go.  Congratulations on your babies!!  And good luck!!
i am almost 11 weeks pregnant and same thing..worst constipation i have ever endured...horrible and makes me miserable and not want to eat. i have been using MOM for 2 weeks now every night. i figure its better than being full of toxins. i have tried the fiber and juices to no avail. ill ask my doctor when i go in if its harmful everyday as they were the ones who told me to use it. good luck and i have found that if i take the MOM at night...only 2 tbs and then in the Am take the equate brand of colace i go just the right amount and not go all day uncontrollably! hope this helps! congrats and good luck!
can 'mom' also be taken for heartburn, since the bottle also says that its an antacid. I've had it a while but was a bit dubious about taking it. I am 5 mths pregnant and suffer with serious heartburn and constipation.
i am currently 13 weeks pregnant and i have the saaame problem, except absolutely NOTHING works for me. its very aggrivating bc everyday im in constant pain with awful **** cramps n cant do a thing ab it. the only thing that semi-works for me is giving myself an enema here n there. not the funnest thing to do, but necessary. so im in the same boat with ur issues. i take colace everyday bc every other mother said it worked for them, but not for myself. so thats my only option. if anyone has any actual true facts n advice to holler my way, please let me know! thanks!!
Milk of Magnesia is generally used to treat heartburn, indigestion and constipation. This over-the-counter medication works by neutralizing acids in the stomach and stimulating bowel movements. As with other laxatives, the use of Milk of Magnesia to treat constipation should be short-term only. Other remedies for treating or preventing constipation during pregnancy include increasing your daily activity level, and increasing your fluid intake and the amount of fiber in your diet. These methods are safer, as the use of laxatives during pregnancy increases the risk of dehydration and uterine contractions, as reported in the July/August 2007 issue of the nursing journal LPN2007.
Try reading the book "Fiber Menace" and you will see how adding fiber to the diet is actually addictive and leads to oversized, distended large intestines and long-term health problems. Once you start fiber, you will always need it and always need more. People get constipated for three reasons; 1) because they don't have enough fat in the diet (fat stimulates the peristaltic reflex and physically moves bowels along) 2) because they lack intestinal flora (usually due to taking too many antibiotics or medicines, and 50% of the "bulk" of feces is meant to be bacteria, not fiber) and 3) because their diet is too high in carbohydrates, whose sugars ferment in the gut and create an acidic environment which also destroys the intestinal bacteria. Your remedies are to take a serious probiotic, eliminate carbohydrates, and increase fat. You may still need MOM occasionally to get you over the hump, as your entire digestive system needs to change and recolonize with flora; it takes a while. But fiber supplements are for people who don't really want a cure and want to stay addicted to carbohydrates.