Maternal & Child Community
MMR vaccination 1 week before conception

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My doctor knew we were trying to get pregnant, he told me to have an MMR vaccination, 4 days after getting it I asked him if it was safe to have intercourse as we might get pregnant.  He said it was fine and we went ahead, I must have conceived in that same week.  Now I discover that I am 4 weeks pregnant and that I should have waited at least 3 months before trying to get pregnant.  I am extremely worried about the effects of the vaccine at this crucial time of development.  Has this happened to anyone and was the baby ok?
I found this online, I think you are safe.

The MMR vaccine is a combination vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend waiting one month after receiving a rubella vaccine before trying to conceive.

Rubella is a mild viral infection. Vaccination before conception is important, however. If you develop rubella during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy, your baby has a risk of developing congenital rubella syndrome. This condition can result in miscarriage, stillbirth or severe birth defects.

Although there is a theoretical concern for the baby if you're pregnant at the time of vaccination or conceive shortly after, the risk of vaccine-associated defects is negligible. If you develop rubella during the first trimester, talk with your doctor about the options.
Ok, I have a question.  This has nothing to do with anything, just on my mind.  I have a good friend who recently got married.  The guy she married is extremely wealthy.  His family has a business that brings in about 30-40 million a year.  However, since they have been married (about 2 months) he has been gone the whole time.  They went on their honeymoon, then he had to go to Hawaii for work and she went for 2 weeks with him, but came back because she was bored (??????), now he is still out of town.  Do you guys think that you would like this?  I would hate it.  I know that 30-40 million is alot, but come on, what happens when they have kids?
I would say if the family makes that much money he could stand to take a little time off.  I have always said money is NOT everything.  Family is everything to me and I have always said I would sacrifice everything to be with my family more.  DH does not see things that way I don't think.  I grew up in a family of 5 (mom, dad and 2 sisters) and my dad only made like $28,000 - $30,000 a year.  My mom stayed home with us and at one point we were on food stamps but I had fun as a kid.  I always had my parents at home.  Dad never came to too much school stuff but he was home with us.  I agree with you.  Maybe his is having an affair.  Hate to say that but I often think that about my DH when he is gone so much I HATE IT!!!!!
My dad and step mom make bank, but they were never happy. My husband and I don't make a lot of money, I choose to stay at home and we sacrfice a lot, but we are happy. We spend time together, we find lots of fun things to do that don't require money. Our kids never want for anything and they see mom and dad happy. Money can't buy everything,lol!

Andrea
Hell ya!!
Get rid of the hubby and spend his money!!!

No just kidding  your not any happier, although lets face it money helps and lord knows we need it!
You can have all the money in the world and still cant buy happiness or health.
Family is first! By all means
We were lucky to inherit some money (100,000) which seems like alot but isnt really We paid off stuff and now are better financially and have more freedom which is nice.
I just want a little in the bank and thats all!
And LOTS OF LOVING (got to get rid of af first! lol)
I got the Rebulla shot right after my son was born and they told me to wait 2-3 months before getting pregnant again. I was later told that 28 days was a long enough wait.
It can cause problems for the babys development but what someone already posted sounded right. I would again discuss it with your doctor and if you still aren't happy maybe put a call into ANOTHER doctor and explain the situation and ask their opinion. I don't know if your insurance will cover a consult with a different doctor but it would be worth checking into since most of the time doctors don't want to discuss anything with you over the phone if they've never seen you as a patient.
Also, Christie might have some advice on the subject (she is a high risk OB nurse) but I believe she is out of town for the better part of next week.
Best of luck to you and I do hope you will keep us posted.
Congrats on your pregnancy!!
Vikki
To me money is not everything!  I quit my comfortable job last year to stay home and would not change a thing!  I have a best friend (since 11years old) that has a ton of money, but is unhappy and takes anti-depresants to keep up, she's only 36 too.  Yes she lives in a 6k sq ft house, has a 4krt diamond, drives new cars every year, but she is not happy. She would never admit it, but I know, I have known her way too long, she is one who has never failed though. Her husband is like Richard Gere in Pretty Woman and owns a co. that helps out failing co.'s, he is never home either. She is one of 4 friends from High School that still get together each year. Sad thing is when we go away for a few days he can't even take his two kids to a ball game without taking the nanny!  My friend just apologizes for being gone and goes on with her life.   I wouldn't trade my poor husband for anything, nor would I give up staying home to have more lavish things.  It is natural to want nice things, but I have said it before, I think these days giving our kids everything material is not the answer to growing responsible happy adults, what they need is two parents that are in touch with eachother and a warm loving arm to come to when they want.  Just my two cents worth.
Ok, I have posted once before about DH's siblings fighting over who gets what and who doesnt get what.  Well, they are feuding now.  DH emailed his twin telling him he should call and make ammends with their parents.  Twin said no, everytime they call him they want something blah blah blah (keep in mind he has nothing they need).  He then copies their other brother to the email and gets him in on it.  A battle ensued.  I dread the wedding in Sept.  I dont think DH's parents are going because of they way they have been treated by the two brothers.  How can I help settle this so we can all get along like before (long before!)
My advice would be to stay out of it if you can! Play dumb or whatever ...If you get involved they will be saying well they said this and they said that......
Pretend like you know nothing!!

Mom and Dad should talk to the brothers themselves after all they are the parents and those boys should have some respect.
They also should treat everyone fairly ..Thats my game plan if one gets something the rest do to!
Life is so much simplier that way.
Wow that's a tough one, mabey you should suggest a family meeting.
That way everyone can have their say and try to come to an agreement or agree to disagree. Either way it's probably going to be heated.
Goodluck
your two cents was worth a million dollars!!...Oh ya its not the money!...lol...
Well, that's a good thing. :D
Sorry, I waited to let people answer the original question and no one else responded.  I dont know what to do to keep from bothering people here.  
Christie, I enjoy reading your responses because you are the nurse and you do know most of the answers to ease everyone's mind.
Once again, SORRY....
I dont know but I dont mind if someone "steals" a thread whether to comment or pop their own question in
Just put it where ever you want and title it so all can see.
We all go back and look for responses at least I do I know of others that do!

Even some of the questions are repeats or there are several of the same answers so I guess that goes both ways
Anyway as long as were all happy and I think we are..

Feel free to steal any spot that I have for comments , questions or whatever
How is your dad doing anyways???
You were taking care of him?? Is he still in the nursing home Did you have him out on a leave??
Wow, it is boring when we dont discuss whatever we want to on the board.
Well, i guess if gonza waited to see if anyone replied to the first question then she didn't hijack the thread. Sometimes if questions aren't being answered, the thread is just going to waste. So were is the harm in asking another question. I don't know the ladies here that well but i guess gonza has been coming on here for a while and feels she is comfortable asking about her personal stuff.
Whatever!!!
I have been coming here almost a year, just after I found out I was pregnant and he is now almost 4 months.  I do feel comfortable asking questions about my personal stuff.
I've been away for a week taking care of my dad.

The original post was about MMR vaccinations...it seems kind of impolite to me to hijack the thread to talk about stuff that is not only completely unrelated to MMR, but to the whole MedHelp forum subject (maternal-child) altogether.  

It is hard to wade through all the comments that involve personal issues to get to the original post and answers related to it.  I've tried to look at some other questions, but there are so many who take over with other things that I about give up.  This is not meant as a criticism, but an observation.

I thought that is what the open forums are for...but again, I've been gone and maybe everything has changed.  Seems that way, anyway.
Nope, Christie things haven't changed here...if you know what I mean ; )

I agree, but God forbid anyone voice their observations about the content on here lately. That is what the open forums were intended to be, a place to talk about stuff not related to maternal child topics.

As far as the MMR thing, when I lost my 3rd pregnancy, they discovered I didn't have the rubella antibodies and gave me the vaccination when I was in the hospital getting the D&C. I was under strict instructions not to get pg for 3 months. I never question it, I knew i would rather be safe than sorry.

Anyway, I am happy you are back! Maybe now we can get some actual answers to questions : )

Andrea
I do believe you have also talked about "other things" not child related ..We all have.
And everyone DOES have a right to their opinion, I just said I dont care if anyone pops a question in anywhere on my thread and im sure others dont either..
WE all like to talk about things in our lives
AND believe it or not some of us have answers to questions from our experiences TOO!!
You haven't seemed to value anyone's opinion or contribution but your own. Believe it or not, those of us with college degrees in various areas (Christie has a BA in Nursing and 25+ years of experience in the field, I have a 2 year practical nursing degree as well as being a few credits shy of an Early Childhood Education degree, which heavily covers child development) can and do sometimes have more insight than some personal experience.

It isn't always as easy as you make it seem. If you as a mother know it all, why do you need to see a doctor? Why are you so passive about scientific research? Clinical studies? Hard proof that shows breatsfeeding is best, sleeping on the back has been shown to decrease the rate of SIDS, etc. I agree that maternal instinct can be correct, but not always.

Andrea

Who needs to grow up???
I just made a point
who is out lashing right now!!!(like children do)
Like I said WE ALL have used threads to talk about stuff other than child rearing.
But I guess yours doesnt count

Yes Christie has wonderful experience as a nurse and her opinion is valued SO DO others who have had experience whether it be from school, hands on experience and its all valued to
Grow up. I believe my post was addressed to Christie, not to you.

I don't hijack other people's threads to discuss moving, camping, garage sales, blah, blah, blah. If I do decide to post about something off topic, it is long after the thread has been abandoned or the question has been sufficiently answered.

I would rather have Christie's professional opinion and insight based on her 25+ years of experience as an L&D nurse and mother than someone's **** "my MIL's secretary's daughter" outlandish situation given as advice.

You may think you are witty, you may have a few friends on here who think you are, but the bottom line is your rudeness and brash attitude towards people has driven away many good members who were excellent contributor's to this site.

If you don't like what I have to say, move on. I am not going anywhere and I imagine you aren't either so we just have to learn to act like adults on here. I would expect that at your age you should have learned to do that by now, correct?

Andrea
Andi:  First of all for you to say that someone's opinion because of experience and not "book smarts" is **** is quite ridiculous.  I for one believe that hands on experience beats out the books smarts hands down 9 out of 10 times.  Yes, having a degree in something gives you the basis for knowing stuff, but actually being there and experiencing it out weighs that.  For example, I have a BS in Education.  I spent 4 years leaning from books how to be a teacher and how to discipline problem children in the class room.  Now, do you think my first day (or any other teacher's) in the classroom what I learned in those books worked?  NO.  I took what I learned and incorporated that with hands on experience.  So, my point is, someone with a degree in nursing and experience is extremely valuable to this forum, HOWEVER, so are the many others with no degrees that have children and have lived it.  Every person contributes valuable information in her own way on this forum.  I cannot believe you had the nerve to say that it is ****.

Cinn:  Keep on keeping on.  I have got your back.
Im glad you can tell me how I feel! YOur amazing!
Im sure others here have degrees!!
Matter a fact I do to! WOW
Nursing assistant one and also 20 years experience nursing (although in geriatrics)
I do think Christie is wonderful  since she is working daily with it and she could also probably tell you not every thing she has learnt came from a book, There are people who have book smarts and there are people who are hands on smart! and as for the doctors I dont go unless I have to SO i dont waste there time!!
I guesss you are so blinded by hatred and someone else's opinion (thats not the same as yours see the part that you dont like is some one will talk back other girls here feel intimidated about being confronted but I dont they may feel the same way but dont say anything) you cant read between  the lines  I did say breastfeeding is best I said no one should be made to feel guilty If they chose not to do it or can not for any reason!!
As for SIDS I have my babies sleep on their backs!!
My little boy sleeps on his stomach.  I do not feel I am a bad mother because of this, and I am not telling everyone that they should have their babies sleep on their stomachs, but it works for us.
Okay sorry I thought you thought I had said that!!
All is good!
luv ya
It is hard to understand one of your posts:

"thats not the same as yours see the part that you dont like is some one will talk back other girls here feel intimidated about being confronted but I dont they may feel the same way but dont say anything)"

Rambling or lack of punctuation makes it difficult to decipher what you are trying to say. But you are the bully here, not me. You seem to take sick pleasure in making people feel stupid and small for asking questions. Or preaching "proper" morals like abstinence and making them feel like idiots for having sex before marriage or for failing to use protection. People make mistakes, they need support not belittling. I agree that there has been a troll at work here, there are far too many "Am I Pg" questions lately for there not to be. The sad thing is they are successful trolls if they are able to cause turmoil on this forum. Ignore them, tell them to take a test and then convert it. Don't enable them to start the **** as they intended.

And my apologies for confusing you with someone else on the breastfeeding issue. I know there was someone who was making a ridiculous argument that best wasn't best. Given our past debates, I thought it was you.

I just feel that all too often you dismiss good scientific proof and studies (BTW, many studies are based on information given by mother's) when there is proof that there are links to certain things, I think we need to take it seriously. You may want to dismiss it, but others shouldn't. It is all to easy to think "it can't happen to me" but it might. Or to think that since someone else was able to do something that it means you could, too. It only takes one single mistake for your world to come crashing down.

I am very passionate on here. I worry everyday about everyone and their babies. I hate the idea that bad information is being spread. I hate the fact that some people will offer advice that isn't factual and is only based on one isolated experience, when in many instances it has been proven as dangerous. How many people do you know who have smoked during pregnancy? How many have had low birth weight babies? Does that mean that since most haven't that the chance doesn't still exist?

We live in a much more informed society than our parents and grandparents did. The infant mortality rate has dropped significantly over the years as a result of new information and studies. We have better access to medical information and professional associations like the AMA and AAP. Use this information, it is so valuable. We can learn so much from it.

Not only am I college educated both in nursing and ECE (paralegal as well), I am also a mother of 2 very active boys, auntie to many, and daughter of a pediatric nurse : )

Andrea

You cant live your life (well you can if you want to)
Worried that something Might happen because studies say so...
Thats like saying since black people are known as thugs they all are.THERE NOT
I do also read studies but Doesnt mean it classifies all people
Matter of fact my SIL smoked throughout both her pregnancies and her boys were 9lbs 8 0z and 10 lbs 2 oz and no gestational diabetes and to date NO problems with health.

Many girls on here are afraid to speak their minds for fear of being blasted (a few have emailed me on it)
I seem to be the one labelled as rude When others even you have said a few things that have been RUDE
SO NO ONE is a saint--so you can give that up!

As for college I have had a degree in nursing, 20 years experience and 3 kids
And if you think for one minuete I dont care about these girls and their children  YOUR WRONG  WRONG beyond your years!
Andrea,
Will you please give me an example of what you mean by "I hate the fact that some people will offer advice that isn't factual and is only based on one isolated experience, when in many instances it has been proven as dangerous.".

Are you referring to SIDS?  I guess I am confused and bothered why you say that people offer advice only based on one isolated experience.  Isn't our "experiences" what we're supposed to talk about and reference?  Aren't we supposed to offer our comments based on our own "experiences"  - be it classroom learning experiences or homelife learning experiences?  I am confused about why you say that because we don't have doctors on this Maternal forum as are on some of the other Forums at this website.

Please advise...
Let's stop fighting please.  I don't want to see any of you leave this forum over all of this.  I have enjoyed posts from each and every one of you.  Yes some have been rude, but I myself have posted rude comments as well.  I guess I don't really mean to it just comes off that way.  Andi has helped me a lot.  I am glad she is comes off as a breastfeeding nazi LOL (Only Joking) because if it hadn't been for her I may have quit.  Cinn and Gonza you have both made good points as well and have even made me laugh quite a few times.  I really like everyone on this board as well.  The only person I am having trouble with right now is this little troll who keeps changing their name on the pregnant posts to get a rise out of us.  Let's all try to get along please.  Take Care.
Exactly, Like I said WE ALL have been rude or seemed that way with comments,
WE ALL have posted stories other than pregnancy related
WE ALL have experience and knowledge to share.
SO WE ARE ALL guitly of something at least I am admitting to it
AND I DO like everyone and no one should leave I dont think anyone is..
I never said she was a breast feeding nazi that was someone else.
Cant go back that far but I do remember the topic
I just said no one should be made to feel guilty about it or that their a bad mother for not doing it.
Also on that topic it was the debate listing the pros and cons of both I was listing the pros for bottle feeding which sparked the fire HOW CAN BOTTLE feeding be better I  wasnt even saying it was better than breast just showing the pros about it.
First off I would like to know how it all got started once again and back to me
If you look at the original post question was given and answered  then gonza askes a question NOT related to maternity.
Even you answered it andi..
Then all of a sudden its not appropriate to ask questions that are not related  (like i said we all have done it)
What is the big deal anyway ??if we talk about other stuff at times there have been a few that have already said they didnt mind, shubunkin, penny , gonza, myself, others posted today said they didnt mind either and didnt know where they should post
So like I said before feel free to hijack any question thread I have to put in your comments or whatever!
For example, how many times has Cinnamon stated things like "Matter of fact my SIL smoked throughout both her pregnancies and her boys were 9lbs 8 0z and 10 lbs 2 oz and no gestational diabetes and to date NO problems with health." Because she may know someone or even a few people who were fortunate enough to deliver babies without any ill effects should not discount the many years of medical research that has shown the damage that can be caused by smoking while pg. Are people being made aware that it isn't just issues with low birth weight, but also future issues with fertility in the children who's mothers smoked?

Cereal in a bottle is another one, people stating things like "well my mom did it, my grandma did it with no ill effects" Well that isn't true, look at the explosion of diabetes, allergies, and obesity in the world due to everyone's grandma, mother, sister, etc doing these things. These are all things that have been linked with the practice of putting cereal in a bottle. Or the issue with her SIL or sister's kids being small and sick all the time as a result of being breastfed, whereas she states her kids have never been sick and are bigger because they were bottle fed. That is the exception rather than the rule. As a GENERAL rule, it is the other way around. But by stating dramtic instances and putting them in such a way makes it seem like she is discounting medical fact and leads to misinformation being given here,

I do not live my life afraid of studies, I live a healthier life because of these studies and because of new research. There is a major difference. Because of research, I learned my children were capable of communicatiing via ASL before they spoke their first word (and then was able to communicate with them very effectively before they began to speak), because of research I was able to learn the odds that my second child would be born with a VSD like my first son (BTW less than 5%, we got lucky) Because of research I know that nursing for a year provides the best protection for my kids, I know that several formula companies have had to pull their product off of the shelf many times due to fatal bacteria. Because of research I have learned many things, I have led a safer and healthier life, and so have my kids. And lastly, because of research I was able to answer questions on this forum (including a question asked by, you, cinnamon)

I have been rude, I have apologized for that. I have been irritated and I have bitten my tongue. I have received more than a few emails complaining about your attitude. Most of us learn from our mistakes. Some never will...

Andrea

I think what Cinnimon is trying to say is that these studies are just that, studies.  They are extremely helpful, but not 100%.  I think both of you have the same view, just opposite ends of the spectrum.  If someone posts a question like, "I just found out I am preggo and I have been smoking.  Will this harm my child?"  Well, of course everyone will say STOP SMOKING, but, maybe Cinn was just trying to say that her SIL smoked and still had healthy babies (i dont even know if cinn posted to the forum about this, i dont recall, i am just going from Andrea's example) HOWEVER, that you should stop smoking.  Andi, you have your opinion and that is great, but Cinn and I and everyone else has one also.  Just because we have not read a "study" to back our opinion does not make it any less an opinion.  I am sure some opinions are wrong, but that is the beauty of an opinion, they belong to individuals and they have that right.  I for one will do what I feel is best for my baby.  I come here for OPINIONS on how things have worked for others in my position.  I dont come here for facts.  If I was looking for hard core facts, I would go to the doctor.  I feel that mothers who have "been there, done that, got the t-shirt"  are excellent sources of info.
What the heck, it's like a war zone!!!!
TIME OUT!!!!
Lets play nice ladies:D
Exactly gonza, I am not stating a fact (by the way this was the first time i used SIL and smoking) just to show the studies are not always right. Not that I say go ahead and smoke while pregnant..Duh.
Yes I have a SIL who kids are always sick,(and were breast fed) just showing again studies are like anything else maybe and maybe not correct!!! Because of a post made by you saying breast fed kids where smarter and healthier Just making a point-that there not always right! it was wisegirl who was putting cereal in a bottle and you told her she was a bad mother_she came back to tell you her doctor had ordered it --then it was end of story (speaking of being rude)
Never said you didnt contribute to the forum when you answered my question either I SAID we all do contribute.! AND we all are guilty of being rude at times UNLIKE you  I did admit it.(well you did just now for the first time--appaulase!!)
As for your emails you get- Im sure your probably emailing yourself!!
If someone has a problem with me then they can let me know!
As for who is emailing me they just dont want the confrontation so they dont bother saying anything!
I see how she always brings it back to me .... Others have asked her to back her questions up (i want to be a mom)
But she doesnt answer them she just comes right back to me!
Also others have stated situations (not facts) of life experiences with their children or things their "grandma's" may have done but Oh back to cinnamon saying this or that!

And im pretty sure all the girls on here are smart enough to realize these are only opinions and like anything in life people can choose for themselves what they will do with their own children (for example-whether to put cereal in a bottle , take them off of formula before age 1 or whatever)
Or what to listen to or when its time to call a doctor
She called herself a breastfeeding nazi.  She said "I don't mean to come off as a breastfeeding nazi".  Noone called her one.  Like I said though I am glad.  She has been helpful as have a lot of others here.  I worked in a factory of mostly women and when you have that many of us in one place there is bound to be conflict.  I say we all look past it and try to enjoy everyone as much as possible.  Take Care buddy.  :o)
I had my MMR shot last 5 weeks back and yesterday i came to know i am pregnant.I had my last period in the end of month of june.I really dont know that we should not plan for pregnancy after taking MMR shot.Now i am 3-4 weeks prgnant.What should i do. Some people say to drop it and some say we cannot know till 12 weeks whether there can be any effect for the baby with this.I dont know what to do.Please anybody suggest.Has anybody gone through this before ?
OMG, this thread is a blast from the past!!! LOL!

Sorry Uma, I don't know the answer but boy did this post sure take me back. : )
Uma,

My wife is in the same situation.  It has been hard to find out a BlueCrossBS accepting medical center in our area that can terminate if we are advised by doctors. Please do let us know in the forum what you find out.

Suresh