Maternal & Child Community
MOOD SWINGS AFTER M/C

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

MOOD SWINGS AFTER M/C

Had a m/c almost a month ago. I really thought I accepted the loss and was ok. I find myself in unexplainably bad moods- the smallest things setting me off into not talking,crying and just wanting to be alone. Is this hormones still? I feel terrible for my h.-how long could someone stand being by that? What a vicious cycle..I don't know if it's indirectly related to the loss or what....? Could the declining preg.hormones be causing this much mood swings???
Your question touched me and brought back alot of memories.  I think it is normal to feel the way you are feeling.  Particularly after my 2nd miscarriage when I had to have a D&C, I suffered horrible emotional stress and crazy mood swings. IT was really bad for several weeks, and then I would still have periods of it for months afterwards.  I remember feeling like my face was permanently pinched into what my husband called the "grimace face", I just looked like I was in terrible pain all the time.  I would find myself just falling to the floor and crying without being able to stop.  It would hit me out of the blue, seemingly when I was not necessarily even thinking about the loss right then.  I just wanted to be alone, I could not stand the thought of anyone even looking at me, let alone talking to me.  And for me at least, the sense of guilt and grief was nearly overwhelming.  It has been 8 months ago now, I am pregnant again and I STILL think every single day "Why me?  What did I do to deserve that terrrible period in my life?"  It was very upsetting and scary to go through, but I do think it was because of the rapid decline in hormones.  Hormones are powerful things, and can wreak havoc on your emotions.  Many people will tell you, and I know it seems hard to believe right now, but it will get easier.  It will probably never go away entirely, but with time it will at least get a little easier to deal with and get back to somewhat of a normal life.  Good luck to you.
Hi everyone...I had mc and had d&c, almost 6 weeks ago.  I was 7 1/2 weeks pregnant, but had no cramping or bleeding, only way I found out I mc was a routine u/s at 9 1/2 weeks, very unexpected.  I have very bad mood swings at work and sometimes will just break down and cry.  After my m/c, I also had to be at a baby shower and a baby's christening w/in 3 weeks of d/c and it was real difficult for me.  It still is. I have a lot of support and my husband has been great, I think he just doesn't know what to do or say when I have these breakdowns, but I know he understands why...he's also grieving, even if he doesn't show it the same way I do. I guess all we can do and just go with our feelings and moods and try to think positive for whatever lies ahead of us for the future.  Good Luck!
It will get a little better each day, but then sometimes you'll have setbacks.  Keep in mind that you are mourning the loss of a child.  In addition to that, your hormones will take time to regulate.  With my 1st D&C in February, it took almost 6 weeks before my AF- which was not normal for me.  Two weeks after I had the procedure, I was a co-hostess for a baby shower that I had already committed to.  I was a mess, but got through it.  Your dh will understand- just remind him that it really hasn't been that long ago.
My situation back in Feb. was very similar.  Routine u/s at 12 weeks, but no heartbeat. I was shocked and so sad.  Last month, I had an ectopic pregnancy and 2nd D&C, but I was a little more prepared this time.  I think the worst part was that they scheduled the last D&C on a Tuesday. At the surgery center that my ob/gyn uses, Tuesdays are the days that most of the ear-nose-throat docs schedule ear tube insertions. So, I woke up from the anesthesia to the sound of lots of crying babies.  We'll start TTC in a couple of months after my doc runs a couple of tests.  Hopefully, we'll have better luck on our 3rd attempt.
I am sorry to hear about your losses.  Waking up from anesthesia and hearing crying babies must have been so horrible, I couldn't imagine.  I hope you have better luck on your 3rd try. My thoughts are with you!  

If you don't mind me asking, how long after your 1st D&C did you TTC?  My doctor wants me to wait until I go through 2 full menstrual cycles, which I think is pretty normal, but we're anxious to TTc again.  I just got my 1st period from the d&c.
My doc said the same thing.  He really left it up to me, but recommended we wait through two full cycles.  The 1st D&C was Feb 18th. My first AF after that was at the end of March.  We waited until after my AF in May to start again, and I got pg right away- with the ectopic.  I have a friend who also had a D&C, and her doc told her she could try after her first cycle. I think they just want your body to be ready before you try again.  I understand about being anxious, though.  When I got my AF after the 1st D&C, I started crying.  I think I was just so overwhelmed that we were one step closer to trying again. Good luck to you!  Maybe in the next few months, we'll both have better news.
That's what I figured.  It was kind of bittersweet when I got my 1st AF, which was just yesterday, sad that it came, but excited that we can TTC again.  I just hope it doesn't take to long to get pregnant again.  We went through so much to get pregnant the 1st time.  Thanks for responding!  Good luck to you too!!
My name is Holly. I am 20 years old. I am planning on going off the pill (i have been on it for 3 years now) in November. I hope to get pregnant right away so I can give the news to my in-laws and my parents as an xmas gift. Do people usually have problems conceiving the first few months they go off the pill? How does it work? I also want to lose weight before I have a baby. As it is I am not comfortable in my skin. If anyone has suggestions or would like to chat, please email me at butterfly_baybee2005***@**** I will respond to everyone!
Also, will you only conceive on certain days of the month? I can use as much information as I can
I miscarried about 9 days ago. It was our first pregnancy, and we were 10 weeks along. We had already seen the heartbeat and were told that in our case there was less than 5% chance of miscarrying. I had been really worried about miscarriage so when our doctor told us this, I really let myself get excited about our news. One week later I started bleeding last week and then stopped. We went to the hospital and with an u/s found out that the heartbeat was gone. I was absolutely devastated. I still am. My sweet husband has been so wonderful and comforting this past week, but I don't feel as though he can even really understand--which i'm sure is not helping. It's been 9 days now, and my mood swings are out of control. I try very hard to keep them inside so others don't have to worry or be upset, but it's eating me. I feel like there's a war being waged inside of me and at the end of each episode I am absolutely exhausted! And more convinced that i'm losing my mind. I don't know how long this lasts, and trying to keep it together at work and at home is so draining. I know it's natural to mourn, but i don't want it to take over my life. We wanted this baby so much, and I loved it so much. I'm absolutely terrified! at the thought of getting pregnant again. Two of our closest friends, and three of our family members are pregnant and due the month that we were expecting (it's nuts). And to have everyone be at the same point as us and doing just fine kills me--which makes me feel worse, because i would NEVER wish this upon anyone, especially those we love so much.  I was just wondering how long these battles will continue for . . . and is it normal to feel so conflicted?
Don't know if you're still checking this thread or not.  If you're still feeling bad, post on a newer thread so more of us will see it and offer our support.  Your emotions are completely normal.  I was 12 weeks along back in Feb when a routine u/s showed an empy sac.  I was devastated, and to make things worse, was co-hosting a baby shower two weeks later.  It will take time, but it will get better.  You will experience sadness, anger, jealousy for the other pregnant people, and bitterness.  This month has been a little tough for me, because my due date was 8/29/05.  But believe me, it will get better.  Most Dr.'s say you can try again after two cycles- as long as you're emotionally ready. Take care.