Maternal & Child Community
MOTORCYLE RIDING DURING PREGNANCY??????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

MOTORCYLE RIDING DURING PREGNANCY??????

I am 8 weeks right now. I was wondering if it would be alright to occasionally ride a touring bike (Harley Davidson) while I'm pregnant? My husband is about to take a trip at the 1st of August and I would rather him not go by himself. We usually ride about 2 hours and then get off and walk around, etc. Would it be alright to ride? If so, will this case the baby any birth defects? I have heard of people riding and everything being fine. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Angela
I'm not an expert, but I do know that serious "bumps" are not good during pregnancy... And certainly motorcycle riding puts you at a higher risk of accident.  

(They say not to go horseback riding, surfing, or skiing for these reasons too.)

... I get nervous even about car accidents, but that's just me.

Ask your doctor, and trust your instincts.

-Heather
I wouldn't do it.  Sorry.  But you really need to ask your doctor.  I don't think the actual riding would be the problem.  As the previous poster said, I think the bumps would be a problem.  All you need is a pothole and you could have a serious jar to your stomach.  Not to mention the danger factor involved.  You can't fall off of a car, but you can fall off of a motorcycle.  Just like a horse.  Maybe your husband could postpone his trip or drive by car so you could go with him.
Thanks for your comments. I actually go to the doctor today for my first sonogram. I will ask her at that time about riding a motorcycle. I guess I don't understand the difference on being bumped around a little bit. I hear of pregnant women riding lawn mowers all the time. Any suggestions on that? I appreciate any comments.
well i'll tell u what my DR. told me about boat riding and its just as bumpy, as long as u did this sort of thing before u got preg. and ur body is used to it then its ok to continue to do the things u done before pregnancy. even riding horses as long as ur body is used to doing it. i also read it in a number of baby books. my baby is due march 10 and this is  #4.
There is absolutely NO WAY motorcycle [meaning street bikes] riding will cause miscarriage, birth defects, etc...  The only risk you'll be taking is the fact if you should have an accident where not only your life will be endanger but that of your child also.  If you think about it, it takes a lot to damage your internal organs, the same goes for the baby. Also the same goes for horseback riding, surfing, etc... I did the research and asked my doctor.
I am 29wks pregnant and still riding passenger on my fiance's Harley Softail, we  ride in our speedboat in the bumpy ocean, we were 4-wheelin at 6 months, and as I have the fun in our lifestyle with my baby to come, I think back to wayy back in the day when the wagons and carriages were not on blacktop pavement and horse transportation, so Im careful but keep lifestyle I had before...almost! My neighbor was on a Seadoo the day she delivered and another friend (Kinesiologist and daughter of surgeon) was skiing downhill days before she delivered! So common sense obviously but not fear of living....
bumblebee, there is a big difference between fear of living and doing things that have a fairly high risk of injury.  And when you injure a pregnant woman, you run the risk of causing the death of her fetus.

It is important to use common sense when you are pregnant.  The big belly throws off your sense of gravity, and it is easy to fall or otherwise have a problem you might not have when not pregnant.

Most doctors would not be comfortable with a woman in her last trimester doing activities that frequently cause injury even in the non pregnant population.  

No one wants a pregnant woman to be afraid to live.  But if you knew how often minor accidents result in placental abruption or other serious pregnancy complications, you might want to rethink your hobbies for the next couple of months.  
I also rode early in my pregnancy on my own Harley Fatboy. But after one ride when I started spotting I never got on it again while pregnant.

I RODE MY HUSBAND'S HARLEY ALL THROUGH MY PREGNANCIES AND I AM ON NUMBER 3. IF YOU TRUST THE PERSON WHO IS RIDING YOU AND THEY KNOW HOW TO RIDE AND ARE MORE CAUTIOUS WITH YOU ON THERE THAN I WOULD. YEAH YOUR BACK HURTS MORE I DON'T RIDE ANYMORE THAN ABOUT 2 HOURS AT ONE TIME THAN WE HAVE TO STOP AND TAKE A BREAK AS LONG AS YOUR UP FOR IT. AND BOTH MY KIDS CAME OUT JUST FINE. iT ACTUALLY HELPED ME GO IN LABOR AT THE END OF MY PREGNANCIES THE DAY BEFORE MY DUE DATE. CAUSE ALL THE VIBRATIONS. YOUR NOT GONNA MISCARRY. IF YOU FEEL UP FOR THE RIDE AND OF COURSE YOUR BUTT'S GONNA HURT AFTER A HOUR OR SO BUT IT'S YOUR CHOICE.
I am going on 32 weeks with a healthy baby boy and still ride as a passenger.  I believe that if you trust the person whom is driving and they are being respectful to you and being extra cautious with their precious cargo then go for it.  You will know when you shouldn't ride any more, a mother knows best! You may find that your butt and back starts to hurt quicker then before you were pregnant but if you feel like your comfortable to ride then do it, short breaks on long rides may be in order as well.  I couldn't just stop riding for 9 months, there is NO WAY! Missing out on Johnstown's Thunder in the valley this year because the sleeping on the ground while camping didn't sound that appealing being 8 months along! Enjoy yourself and your pregnancy, listen to what others have to say but the ultimate decision is yours!
Any doctor or any person with expertise in the field says "If it doesn't bother you it won't the baby" Live your life, enjoy your pregnancy! Don't be one of those "overly safe" moms who just sit the in corner for 9 months scowling and judging every one around them (Imagine the life that poor child will have) Go have fun and ride on!
33 Weeks and still a daily rider (70 miles) of my OWN bike.  Dr says if it hurts, don't do it.  If it doesn't hurt and it's something you love, DO IT.  My pickup truck is rougher riding than my Honda V45 is.  Last ALL DAY ride was at 29 weeks.  Would do it again, just haven't had the time for al all day ride.
if a woman never road a seadoo or jetski before and is two weeks pregnant would it be alright if she wanted to ride a seadoo or jetski would it be safe. to do so.