Maternal & Child Community
MOWING GRASS ON RIDING LAWNMOWER?????????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Do you think it is safe to ride a riding lawnmower while pregnant? I am 18 weeks pregnant and I mower the grass last night. I felt fine afterwards. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Angela
Tags: maternal, Baby
Unless your dr has restriced your activities I'd say that since you felt fine afterwards that you will more than likely be just fine. (baby too)
My sister-in-law "push" mowed her yard at 8 1/2 months pregnant. No problems for her.
You just have to know what "YOUR" body can handle.
I worked at a nursing home, lifting people (heavy people) all day long and one of my girlfriends kept working until the week before she was due. And do let me tell you, we gave her NO slack because she was pregnant. We made her work just as hard as the rest of us did.
She delivered a very healthy baby boy about 6 months ago.
Hope this helps.
Hugs,
Vikki
I would avoid anything that causes excessive vibrations, including the riding lawnmower. It can cause premature detachment of the placenta, so best to leave that up to someone else.

Andrea
I don't see anything wrong with it but it would be safe to talk to your doc about it now a four wheeler would be a diff story but a lawn mower only goes so fast and as long as it wasn't bumpy I doubt anything happend I belive you will be just fine...
The point isn't necessarily falling off or uneven terrain, it is the constant vibration from sitting on it. I would err on the side of caution and avoid it.

Andrea
Funny - I just mowed mine with a riding mower (at 7 weeks pregnant) and was wondering about it.  I went REAL slow and the only problem for me was it made me nauseaus.  I was concerned about the vibration, though, and I will have the boyfriend do it next time.  I wouldn't take any chances.  But the slower you go, the less vibration.
I am paranoid and have read a ton of stuff on avoiding vibration while pg. Why chance it right?

Andrea
JOgging isn't a steady vibration. Kind of goes along the lines that carnival rides aren't allowed either. The goal is to avoid jarring motions too. If you were a jogger before becoming pg unless the doctor says otherwise, it is okay to continue.
My question is, and I'm not doubting any of your above posts, but why is jogging allowed during pregnancy and yet they tell you to avoid vibration...just curious.