Maternal & Child Community
MRI during pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

MRI during pregnancy?

Anyone have an MRI while pregnant? I am going this AM :(
My OB says it's OK. As soon as i mentioned i was pregnant to the MRI place, they immediately said I have to sign a waiver. I am 29 weeks.
Most of what I read online says it's OK. Still, so many people (such as old threads on here) say they wouldn't do it. I'm doing it, but guess I was hoping to hear some of you had to have one too and everything was OK with the baby.  
My OB sent me for one...I think I was about 25 weeks...but the MRI department refused to do it , the tech didn't feel comfortable with it.  They made an appointment for me after the birth of my baby.  
I remember reading that there was a WINDOW of time that a MRI was fine during a pregnancy.  I was not happy that I had to wait.  I know I was in that WINDOW...
but the MRI tech would not do it.
Wishing you all the best.  Make sure you do lots of research.  Not sure what the MRI is for?  But, if it is something that CAN wait, maybe you should?  
Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.
I went this morning. the tech said it was pretty common now and that MRI's have been used for 20+ years. She said they generally wait until you are out of the first trimester.

I needed an MRI of my head and optic nerve. I have optic neuritis and we need to know if it is being caused by a mass. Also, what I've read says an MRI can show whether or not there are lesions on the brain, which would indicate the possibility of MS, which is a very common cause of this condition. We're hoping it's just due to an infection. While I suppose it technically could wait, considering the seriousness of the conditions it is ruling out, and the fact that they both can be likely causes of my symptoms, I felt it was important to get it done.
wow tired i hope everything is ok.  did they see anything or do you have to wait until your dr talks to you?
My OB doctor said she didn't think it was safe and sent me to my primary. She said she believes I need one because she thought there might be a big problem other than just migraines. She said it was safe after the first trimester, but the radiologist didn't want to do it, said it was too dangerous. so I was sent to a neurologist for my migraines. They said they don't think I need an MRI, they think it is just a cronic (chronic) problem with migraines. They didn't think it was a good idea during pregnancy either. So that's 3 out of 4 doctors who told me it was unsafe but everything on teh internet says it's safe after the first trimester as my primary said. I did read that there really hasn't been a lot of tests for it though to know 100% if it's safe or not but they believe there is a risk with all types of testing during pregnancy but MRI would be most safe and there is less of a risk after first trimester. I was in the same situation a few months ago I didn't know but ended up not getting it done. I hope everything goes well for you with whatever you decide. In the end it's all up to you. You don't have to get it done if you're worried about it.
I really don't blame you for wanting to get that MRI done now (instead of waiting until later)... it's hard sitting around wondering whether something serious might be wrong with you (ie: MS, lesions, etc).  The health of YOU is just as important as the health of your yet-to-be-born baby.. and I'm sure that's why your OB told you to get that MRI done.  In terms of signing that waiver, they HAVE to do that (to cover their own butts).  I don't think your OB would put your baby in harms way, so I think you're safe to breathe easy about your decision (easier said than done, I'm sure, given your own medical issues).  Hopefully you got good news from the MRI?
Good news- the MRI was clear- no lesions, no mass :)
While an MRI with contrast would have been better, my doctor feels that a regular MRI would have shown lesions.
So, it's not cancer, and not MS!!
I am very very relieved. Of course, we still don't know the cause, and may not ever find out. As of now, the dr said her diagnosis is noted as optic neuritis caused by virus? or ideopathic.

Since my symptoms aren't extreme, she's holding off on any treatment. The course of treatment would be steroids, but since my OB is giving me steroids at 34 weeks anyways, she's holding off. Glasses are an option, but not practical since the vision will continue to change. So, I am left with one annoyingly blurry eye but am greatful that it's not caused by anything horrible.