Maternal & Child Community
MTHFR and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

MTHFR and pregnancy

I was just told I had the Mthfr gene after having my second miscarriage and getting series of blood work. My doctor told me to take baby asprin a day and folic acid presciption he gave me. Is that enough? I'm reading some are also taking b6 and b12 ? Do I have to be concerned /worried about getting pregnant again? I had miscarriage 11 years ago and had two healthy babies then just had miss a month ago . We want to try again a.s.a.p and not sure. Also should I see another doctor beside my ob/gyn who told me I had this and gave me treatment ? I s this dangerous if not monitored? Also he told me my gene came from mother and father does my siblings need to be tested is it a given they have it also and do my kids carry the gene as well is it auto matically passed on?
The good news for you is that this has been discovered, and you will receive treatment during your next pregnancy, and will hopefully carry to term.  I've taken care of women with MTHFR before, and the outlook is good with the treatment your doctor has outlined.

If your doctor is not comfortable providing your care, then you should consult a specialist.
thanks for responding to my question I'm new to this site anyway are you a nurse or medical advisor ? I also have low progesterone levels when I was just preg my hcg levels wern't doulbling like they were supposed to . Any connection with  prog levels /and mthfr?
How far are you, Dina?  I don't think there is any connection between the MTHFR and the progesterone levels.

How far along, and how have your progesterone levels been?  

Nice to meet you!  I'm not a doctor.  I'm the CL of this forum, and have been on Med Help for quite a few years now.  I try to answer a few questions here and there.  
I have that MTHFR gene mutation. I'm homozygote. And your doctor has prescribed to you the therapy you need. When the person is homozygote that means you have two alels with mutation. One you have taken from your mother the other one from your father. Your kids can be heterozygotes (that means they have one mutated alel from you and the other alel is normal) if their father has no mutation.
In fact this condition is not so dangerous. We have more chances to have blood clots, misscariages then normal population. Also we need more folic acid. Thats why your doctor has prescribed you aspirin-againts blood clots and acid folic.
I had two miscariages also. When I was pregnant for the third time, I made some genetic test and was positive for this mutation. I was on therapy during pregnancy (aspirin and after 32 week of pregnancy on clexane). Now I have a daughter.
Good luck
Thanks for your info, congrads on baby. What is clexane? During your preg all you did for treatment and prevention was the asprin and the folic acid? How were your hcg and progesterone levels mine were low?Did you have to be considered high risk and watched more carefully? Did you get your baby tested for mthfr and is it something to worry about for little babies and children?
Clexane is low molecular heparine, a drug againts blood cloting. After 30 week of pregnancy aspirin is contraindicated and clexane is safe.
During the pregnancy beside aspirin, acid folic I was on progesterone untill 16 week of pregnancy. I don`t know how was my beta-hcg and progesterone levels (the doctors here don`t test them so often) but the last two pregnancies (the second and third) I was on progesterone therapy. I was high risk and watched carefully. I was bleeding for 3 weeks during the last pregnancy.
I want to mention that my second misscariage hapened 10 days after I stoped with progesterone replacement therapy (maybe this was the cause maybe mthfr gene, I don`t know, niether doctor know to tell me).
I didn`t tested my baby for this gene. I don`t worry for her, because I have that gene and I haven`t had health problems until know, except those misscariages. But maybe I will make the test for mthfr to her when she will be older.
I have made a lot od researche for conection between this mutation and progesteron levels but I didn`t find anything.
Wish you best..........
Treatments may vary from Europe to the US.  I don't believe that Clexane is a brand name used here in the states.  Low molecular weight heparin is often used, but the brand name is different.
Baby aspirin is used even after 30 weeks here.

Progesterone is used if there has been miscarriage issues in the past, sometimes up until 12-16 weeks, or if preterm delivery is part of the womans history, injections of a different type of progesterone is given up until near term, but this has nothing to do with MTHFR.

Is there antyhing to get up hcg level if low?I am trying this month to get preg I missed carried Oct 2nd.