Maternal & Child Community
MY ONE YEAR BABY NOT GAIN WEIGHT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

MY ONE YEAR BABY NOT GAIN WEIGHT

I M REALLY WORRY, BECAUSE MY BABY'S DOCTOR TOLD ME, THE BABY DONT HAVE A GOOD WEIGHT AND HIS HEMOGLOBIN IS LOW, NO THAN LOW BUT NO THAN GOOD. IS 10.
HE WILL CHECK AGAIN WHEN THE BABY WILL HAVE 18 MONTHS.
MY BABY EAT FOR BREAKSFAST A FRUIT (A BANANA OR AN APPLE OR 1/2 CUP OF GRAPES) AFTER EAT ONE OR HALF EGG WITH TWO SLICE OF CHESSE WITH HALF SAUSE OR 1/2 CUP YOGURT WITH LITTLE PORTION OF BABY CEREAL.  MIX.
FOR LUNCH AND DINNER MY BABY EAT 1 CUP VEGETABLES LIKE SPINACH, BROCOLI, SQUASH, CARROT, POTATOES, RICE, SOMETIMES CHICKEN, OR FISH OR MEAT. SOMETIME WITH SPAGUETTI.  ALL TOGHETER IS A CUP.
FOR SNAK HAVE A 1/2 THE YOGURT, OR 1/2 OF GRAPES OR SANDWICH OF BOLOGNA AND CHESSE.
I M STILL BREASTFEEDING BUT HE TAKE ONLY BY 10 OR 15 MINUTES.  I DONT KNOW IF IS ENOUGH.
HE DRINK SOMETIMES ORANGE JUICE OR WATER BUT I THINK IS NOT ENOUGH BECAUSE HE DRINK SOMETIMES ONLY ONE BOTTLE A DAY.
PLUS I GIVE THE BABY POLY VI SOL WITH IRON.
I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS THE GOOD WEIGHT FOR AN ONE YEAR BABY? AND HOW MUCH THE BABY NEED TO EAT? IS GOOD 1 CUP OF VEGETABLE WITH RICE AND MEAT FOR LUNCH AND DINNER?
I WANT TO KNOW IF HAVE SOMETHING WRONG.

THANKS

MY BABYS WEIGHT NOW IS 19 POUNTS 3 ONCES
There are growth charts on the internet
But it is only a guideline to go by
Some kids are heavier some are smaller The most important
thing to remember is he/she HEALTHY
Doing the things that they are suppose to do according to their age
Here is one
http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/growthcharts2/l/b/boysbirth.htm

It sounds like you certainly have your child on a healthy diet.  Kudos for that!  Since the diet is so healthy it probably won't hurt to increase portion sizes a bit.  Maybe give a couple more snacks each day.  There are so many reasons that kids can be underweight.  It's good that you already have your DR working with you on this, but maybe you could work with a nutritionist too.  I'm not sure if you are in the U.S., but we have WIC (Women, Infants, and Children)here.  See if you can find their website.  I'm sure there will be a lot of good information on it.
Here's the WIC website:  http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/

Hope it helps!
My child (16 months) is also considered 'underweight'......
The doctors go by charts that say that a child of this age should be this weight....they DO NOT take into consideration the build of the parents or the birth weight of the child. Which I think is wrong!!!
My son is just over 20 pounds which puts him at the 3rd percentile according to the doctors chart.
My doctor does not seem overly concerned since he is reaching his milestones and is growing taller. He is a happy baby and eats ALL the time.
When he snacks I try to only give him gerber things that I know are not packed with sugar.
You didn't mention if your child is drinking whole milk. That is something that is supposed to put some weight on since it is loaded with fat but it doesn't seem to be working for my little guy.
Your childs diet sounds pretty good but what about starches? Breads, pastas? I did see where you said a sandwichs....starches are a good sorce of weight gain as well...although mine eats them an still isn't gaining....
Guess it just depends on the child....as someone already said, some kids are just smaller than others.
Best of luck to you!!
The only thing I saw missing from his diet was whole milk. Baby needs a few cups of that a day, I am willing to bet once you add that, he will start picking up some weight. They really need the fat provided by the whole milk until 2 years of age or even longer if underweight.

Good luck!
Andi
If he Looks healthy, and plays like a normal healthy child, then I wouldnt worry too much. As stated, weights are just guidlines, Not rules. My youngest started out at 9 lbs at birth, but barely hit 20 lbs by his first birthday, but he is perfectly healthy.

Just keep feeding him well, and he will be fine.
My son is officially going to be 14 months the 26th of October. He weighed 18 pounds 10 ounces last week at the Dr. office. He eats a good bit, like your baby does. I am not a dr, but from my experience, you have nothing to worry about. If your child has started crawling and walking, the child will either stabilize his/her weight or will possibly even lose weight. I would offer the baby alot of fliuds (juice, milk, water, coolaid, etc.) and, i am by no means encouraging you to stop breastfeeding (i was a breastfeeding mother as well), but take into consideration giving the baby whole milk in addition to the breast milk, the whole milk has more calories. That is what my son's dr. told me to do. Good Luck and God Bless you and your family.
Christina
Luna, your baby's weight (19lbs) at one year doesn't sound low - my son was 17.5 lbs at one year (had a heart defect which could be to blame) and my pediatrician was concerned, but I think it was more that he was further off the charts than the actual weight.  He had been following the growth charts, mind you he was in the negative 5th percentile, since he's been born, but at the one year check up he dropped to about negative 15, so I think that was what caused the concern.  I have to go back in a couple of weeks for a weight check.  He wanted me to increase his calories (recommended cooking his meats and vegetables in oil, and adding butter to his cereal, haven't done any, just increased his food intake)
It sounds like you've got a healthy diet.  As well, like it was said before, if the child is hitting their developmental milestones, that should be the main concern.  I had heard that when babies start crawling/walking, they actually lose some weight from the increased activity.  And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I also heard that between 12 and 24 months, that children are expected to only gain a couple of pounds.
Don't worry too much.  I think you're doing a great job.
MY DS IS 10 MO OLD 30 INCHES AND 28 LBS-HE WAS 10 LBS AT BIRTH -HE GETS A GERBER STAGE 3 FRUIT IN MORNING STGE 3 MEAT-VEGGIE COMBO JAR AT NITE-ALONG WITH 4 8 OZ FORMULA BOTTLES THROUGHOUT THE DAY--OUR PEDIATRICION SAYS WHATEVER I AM DOING IS WORKING CAUSE DS IS VERY HEALTHY--BUT COMPARED TO EVERYONE ELSES BABIES WEIGHT AND AGES HE IS VERY OVERWEIGHT.
Honey believe me your son is fine. He is still close to the 5th percentile, so he isn't off the chart yet. As long as his weight isn't dropping and is steadly increasing he shouldnt have any problems. I know how it is with the worrying though. My Daughter was in the 75th percentile weight wise for a while, but when I compared her lenght it was in the 75th percentile too. is his height relative to his weight? If your baby is short too...you don't want to put any more weight on him..he will be just fine..that is just his build! :D Good luck!