Macrobid for UTI
OK, so lab results are back. I have bacteria and blood in my urine. DUH!! I wish I didn't have to pay for lab tests when I know what the problem is, but they told me there are different kinds of bacteria that can be in urine and so have to test to make sure they put me on the right antibiotic. Anyhow, they put me on macrobid. But I looked it up and it says the FDA doesn't know if it's safe for pregnancy???? Umm...I'm not sure if I want to take it. Is it safe to just go ahead and drink lots of water and cranberry juice and try to get rid of it myself?? Anyone tried this?
Instead of drinking cranberry juice,  you might want to take cranberry tablets.  You can find them in the vitamin aisle.  AZO brand is what I use.

If you decide to drink the juice,  you have to get the unsugared cranberry juice - usually you have to go to a special grocery store to get it.  The stuff you find in most grocery stores is almost all corn syrup and other juices,  and sugar.

Straight cranberry juice costs about $17 a quart.
I took macro for uti in nov, was 2 days before started clomid. I got pg that cycle but m/c in Jan. I didn't even remember all this until your question, makes ya wonder? They told me you cant get rid of bacteria without antibiotics ,also tried uristat before going to doc, it helps with need to pee feeling, again said wouldn't take care of infection. Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks. So do you think it's safe to do that instead of the antibiotic?
macrobid is a category B drug. these are considered safe. just stay away from category C (where possible) and D (always) drugs. i know you cant take macrobid when you're getting close to delivering but earlier in pregnancy i imagine its fine. my doc tends to prescribe keflex for everything first just because its been better studied.
Thanks. I have had a M/C before this pregnancy, so I'm not sure I even want to take my chances at all. I don't know what is the right choice though.
Macrobid is absolutely safe.  I see the head of internal perinatal medicine at one of the best OB-focused hospitals on the east coast, and she has assured me that it's completely safe (at my stage - 17 weeks) - I'm on it right now for a UTI.  Anyway, depending on the bacteria, it is almost essential that you take the antibiotics, because it can and usually does not go away on its own with water and cranberry juice.  In fact, it can spread to your liver and/or kidneys and then you would really be endangering yourself and the baby - this could land you in the hospital, too.  I do not intend to scare you, but it really is a risk not worth taking, if you can deal with taking the meds.  By the way, even some Class C drugs are acceptable, according to my OB.  Good luck!
Macrobid is safe.  It is a category B.  You should ask your pharmacist if you have any doubts, I looked it up when they put me on last Monday and found nothing but safe reports.  It is what is recommended most according to my hospital and doctor.  So.....I am taking mine.
i was on it last preg and delivered healthy baby

this preg on it forever for UTI

best of luck