Marijuana and Pregancy
We are doing a project in a Special Ed. classroom & want to know 1)How does marijuana effect women who want to become pregnant? 2)What effects does marijuana have on a woman and the fetus she carries? and 3)What birth defects might be/are caused by marijuana (i.e. learning disabilities)? Unfortunately we are in a hurry so please respond as soon as possible. Thank you.
Here is some information I found in a book of mine titled What To Expect When Expecting.  

It is recommended that couples trying to conceive abstain from marijuana use, since it can interfere with conception.  But if you are already pregnant, you needn't worry about your past smoking-there is no present evidence that it will harm your fetus.   Continuing to smoke marijuana now that you have found out your pregnant is a different story.  Some though not all, studies show that women who use marijuana even infrequently as once a month throughout pregnancy are more likely to gain inadequate weight; suffer from hyperemesis(severe and chronic vomiting), which can interfere seriously with prenatal nutrition if not treated; have dangerously raid labor, prolonged or arrested labor, or a cesarean section; have a low-birthweight baby (though the increased risk is small); show meconium staining of the amniotic fluid during labor (a complicationn that can indicate fetal distress); and have a baby that needs resuscitation after delivery.  Although there is no clear-cut evidence of an increased incidence of malformations in the babies of marijuana users, there have been reports of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome-like charcteristics as well as tremors vision  abnormalities, and a withdrawal-like cry during the newborn period.  Marijuana has also been shown to adversely affect placental function and the fetal endocrine system, potentially interfering with the successful completion of pregnancy.  Based on the available evidence, the United States surgeon genereal has warned that marijuana use by a pregnant woman may be hazardous to he health of the fetus she is carrying.  So treat marijuana as you would any other drug during pregnancy.  Don't take it unless it is medically required and prescribed.  If you have already smoked early in your pregnancy, don't worry.  Since most of the negative effects of marijuana appeeeear to occur as pregnancy progresses,  it's very unlikely any harm was done.  Any pregnant woman who can't seem to break her marijuana habit should tell her preactitioner or seek other prefessional help as soon as pregnancy is confirmed.

I hope this Helps!
Thank you for your timely response! But what is "dangerously raid labor" suppose to be? I guess it's a typo, but can't figure it out, sorry! Thanks again!
Sorry(smile) I definately meant rapid.  I guess I got a little carried away with my typing.(grin)
LOL I am sure tootles meant RAPID not raid. Hope this helped.
I am as well doing a research project for health on what happens when women who are pregnant and smoking and what effects does it have on the baby inside them. This information really helped so thank you so much who ever asked the question and whoever answered it. I will use this information on my health report. THANK YOU SO MUCH