Maternal & Child Community
Marijuana experts - Anyone know the answer?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Marijuana experts - Anyone know the answer?

If a mother smokes Marijuana during her first trimester, will the baby's stool test positive for the substance at birth?  
Related Discussions
18 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
172023_tn?1334675884
No.  It depends on how heavy the usage is, but usually stools are not positive unless the mother used within the previous 2-3 weeks.

If she is only a rare, occasional user, the stool *may* not be positive at all.

(I'm not a marijuana expert, but I've sent many a baby poo for substance use)
Blank
LOL!  I was going to title the thread "Peek - or other Marijuana experts" but I figured that might start rumors.  =)

My SIL's brothers girlfriend had her baby boy 4 weeks ago, he was born at 28 weeks gestation.  They told her that the baby's stool tested positive for marijuana and traces of cocaine.  She told the doctors that the only time she smoked marijuana was in her first trimester, but she said she did not know she was pregnant.  She claims the cocaine traces came from a prescribed pain pill.  I am not a chemist so I do not know if that is possible or not.

Social servies are involved and now want to take the baby after he is healthy enough to leave the hospital.  If what she she's saying is true, then I see no reason for the hospital to involve social services.  

I am concerned that they have been giving her breastmilk to the baby... she is known to "do" drugs, so why would they give the milk to the baby?  I'm wondering if they test the milk before giving it to the baby.  

Blank
What I meant by "Social servies are involved and now want to take the baby after he is healthy enough to leave the hospital.  If what she she's saying is true, then I see no reason for the hospital to involve social services." was that the hospital would not involve social services unless there was a darn good reason.

Blank
13167_tn?1327197724
Baby, she can request a urine test - that will detect marijuana use by her in the last 21 days.  If she really has to,  she can request a hair sample test (more expensive) and that will really nail down when marijuana was used by her last.

Blank
172023_tn?1334675884
And actually, I was wrong.  (see, I can be wrong!)

Meconium drug testing can reflect use as far back as 20-24 weeks.  Again...it can depend on usage, though.  

SS takes these tests quite seriously.  They will not usually remove a child simply based on a single drug test.  They will investigate the family situation, will investigate the home situation, and will follow up closely unless other factors are present to prompt removal of the child.
Blank
Thanks Peek!  I will let my SIL know.  She has an interview tomorrow with SS to try to get temporary custody of the baby.  They are being cooperable with her, but not with her brother, and that could be because he just got out of jail two weeks ago for driving around in a truck that was in repo status for 3 months.  

The parents are living in the Ronald McDonald house for now.
Blank
172826_tn?1292440112
just out of curiosity..do they ALL test the baby's poops at birth? I've never done drugs during my pregnancy, i have experimented in my teenage years...13ish but yeah...
Blank
172023_tn?1334675884
No.  There are certain indicators that trigger an automatic screen, but these can vary by facility.

Or if any admitted history from the mother, usually there is a test.  
Blank
392430_tn?1382908381
I was wondering the same thing...I refuse drug testing on myself even though i would pass as it is a privacy thing.
Blank
172023_tn?1334675884
You can refuse for yourself, but if the "markers' or "indicators" are present, the hospital can test the baby without your consent.
Blank
159063_tn?1247276417
actually I think its a great idea and if this country had the money it should be mandatory.. babyprayers DUCKS^^^^ bottom line is dont put your baby at risk by doing stupid S hit..  and the H ell with privacy your messing with another life, so the privacy thing should not come into play.. sorry folks just my opinon.. and I am entitled. :)
Blank
159063_tn?1247276417
it should be mandatory for drug testing for the mom, early on and throught the pregnancy if the markers are there..
Blank
My friend went thru this, they tested the baby and her but they still let the baby come home and did a couple of visits to her home before dropping the case.
Blank
392430_tn?1382908381
Yes if the markers are there fine, but for those of us that have no reason for the testing there is no reason to invade my privacy and bill me for that invasion.
Blank
93532_tn?1349374050
I don't mind the "invasion" I know I am in the clear and I know my baby is in the clear, but i also know that there are many women who are adept at hiding their usage and if it saves an at-risk infant that is wonderful.

I spend more on a latte and a tip than a Mectest costs.
Blank
270405_tn?1293039221
I don't mind if they test me or my baby either.  I have nothing to hide, and don't take any drugs.  Not only can it help save a baby from more problems, but it could help the mother as well get help if she needs it.

Now, I'm no expert, but I really don't think that a prescription pain pill would show up as cocaine.  I could be wrong, but that doesn't sound right.  If it were me, I would have them do a hair test to prove that.  
Blank
148691_tn?1260198503
babyprayers couldn't have said it better man! hehehehe =))
Blank
I am all for testing too.  

IF she willingly gives her milk to NICU for the baby, can they test the milk without her consent?  Would the hospital be liable for giving the baby milk that contains drugs.  

If we talk about invasion - where does it end, and where does it begin?  There really is no arguement on "why" they are testing our babies or us, it is their job to deliver, and care for a healthy baby.  I don't see a doctor allowing a baby to suffer in utero or outside of the womb if they suspect the mother is a user.  I think they have moral obligation to test the baby AND the mother.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...