Maternal & Child Community
Marijuana use and trying to conceive a child (father)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My wife and I are preparing to try for our first child.  I am a recreational user of marijuana (my wife is too, but has not used for four months).  While we try, can I continue to recreationally use marijuana (recerational being 1-2 a week tops)??  I understand it can lower sperm count......I'm more concerned about birth defects.
I wouldn't try having a kid until you got rid of the drugs. That is not a good environment for a kid. Or a good environment for you. If you care about having a kid so much you would get rid of it and try without the drugs. So my advice is to get rid of anything that could do anything to a baby you are trying to have.
P.S. In my Pregnancy book it says it can cause major defects. Just wanted to let you know.
I don't think marijuana reduces your sperm count all that much, but your wife definately has to quit.  

And I tend to agree with theshocks that growing up in a household where illegal substances are thought to be an ok thing to do is less than ideal.  

Lets not get into the morals of it all, but it IS illegal, you COULD be arrested for buying the small bag that you keep around for recreational use.  

Years ago (before we were married) my husband used it recreationally, and the good friend who sold it to him was arrested when HE was buying it.  The "good friend" of my husband gave my husbands name as well as ALL his buddies' names.  The police came one night and found his stash as part of a sting of all those small time "recreational" users.

Now, every time he applies for a job, etc, he has to say "Yes" when it asks "were you ever arrested or convicted" of a crime.  And he has to explain.  

Don't do that to your kid.  Don't let a child grow up thinking that it is ok to break the law just because it is "for recreation".  There are lots of other legal recreational activities.  This one may come back and bite you on the ass.

You shouldn`t do drugs at all.... Especially if you want a child. A child doesn`t need any kind of exposure to drugs at all. I`ve recently learned in college that it is starting to be believed, that marijuana has more long term side effects on the user than once thought. Kick that habit; you don`t need it!