Maternal & Child Community
Maternity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Maternity

Me & my wife have health insurance, but maternity coverage was not included. While I wanted to add the maternity coverage the insurance company said it has 12 months "waiting period" -- means she can get pregnant after 12 months from now-- not within the waiting period.

Do you know any other option available ? She is planning to get pregnant in this month.
As crazy as it sounds, pregnancy is considered a pre-existing condition if you try to get the insurance and you're already pregnant. With my insurance, to get the premium that I have, I had to wait TWO years. However, I got pregnant within that time frame anyway. I had to apply for Medicaid. Maybe you should go down to your local Family Service Division and apply for Medicaid.

You'll need valid ID, proof of residency (like a bill or something with your address on it), proof of income (last 3 months worth of pay stubs), your SSN cards, and I think that is it. Might want to call ahead and make sure! Good luck!
Also something to check on--if your wife works to see if her company offers AFLAC--I had a short term disablity policy and hopsitalization-it paid me a certain amount for being out of work for the baby and part of my hopsital bill..it is very reasonalble and I was able to enjoy being home with my baby and have money coming in.  There is a time period to wait with my policy I had to wait 90 days before being diagnosised as pg...so even if you get the policy and don't fall pg for two months--then another month before being seen by a doctor it was covered.
i ended up pregnant b/f i got health insurance and i couldn't find ANYONE who would cover me. the df's insurance (he's a marine) would cover the pregnancy but not the birth....we were stuck.  i had to get the medicaid. which the one in my state offers different insurance plans that they cover. you should def check into it.
Could she just wait the required time period?  Not everyone can qualify for Medicaid.  I'd hate for your family to be put in a bad financial situation by a pregnancy.  

Best of luck in your decision.  Sounds like it could get extremely expensive.  Hope it all works out.  
Pregnancy should bot be considered a pre-existing condition if you have group health insurance.  Do you have individual?
If you indeed plan on getting pregnant b4 the waiting period then you should start to save up some money.  I am not sure about the Medicaid thing but the responsible thing to do is to either wait for save up.  
It sounds like you were trying to add short term disability coverage?  Is that what you were trying to do?  The other posters are correct that pregnancy cannot be treated as pre-existing on health insurance if you have a group plan already (although it can be considered pre-existing if you are adding coverage and are not already covered, or if it is an individual plan)-  but that is for the health insurance, not the disability...  

pregnancy cannot be excluded from a disability plan, it has to be treated as any illness-  however, some short term disability plans require a waiting period for any coverage for any illness (pregnancy included)...  I would look into individual short term, maybe you can find one will less of a waiting period.  

I had a short term disability plan this time around, and it covered 60% of my average salary for up to 12 weeks, no waiting period- I thought that was great, as I had already started trying to get pregnant when I added it to my coverage- however it took me 9 months to get pregnant and then another 9 to have the baby- so we were good to go, even had we had a waiting period...

You wouldn't actually be using the coverage until the baby is born, so it seems to me that you'd only have to wait 3 months to try to conceive, correct?  
But disability insurance doesn't cover the hospital and OB expenses.  Regular, smooth delivery costs over $10K.....
There are different kinds of maternity coverage. Go to your local clinic and they can give you more information. They can't turn down a pregnant women.
Are you looking for coverage for her leave after the baby is born or are you looking for medical insurance to cover the prenatal visits and delivery?  if you are looking for coverage for leave after the baby is born, you may have to answer several questions including are you trying to get prego.  If you lie it is fraud and it may not cover even if the policy is in place. You can call around to different places including state farm to see what questions are asked.  If you are looking for insurance to cover the delivery...some policies do have the waiting period, some do not.  If you are already pregnant, it is considered a preexisting condition if you are trying to get individual coverage OR are working for a large company with group insurance.  Most small companies have no underwriting for medical insurance, SOME large companies do.  But, some companies do not have a waiting period for pregnancy.  I got individual blue cross effective like 9/25 and I found out I was pregnant 12/20 and it was all covered.  They will tell you as long as the baby comes 40 weeks after the coverage starts or you get a drs note stating the baby was early, it may cover.  You could look into different companies and get a seperate short term health insurance policy with a larger deductible that will cover. I'm assuming the problem you are having is you are taking the "gamble" away from the insurance company and they dont like it.  Basically when you buy insurance you are gambling you are going to get sick and the company is gambling you are not going to get sick.  If you call to add maternity coverage they know you are going to use it and they are going to lose money.  So they want their years worth of money and puts the gamble back into it... they are gambling that you are going to get prego before the end of the year and they wont have to pay for it.  As far as local clinics not turning down pregnant women, In MD, you have to make less than $500/week for a family of 2 or you can not get help.  Your best bet, is to get a seperate policy from which ever persons job you do not have it with now or call blue cross and see about a short term individual policy.  Unless it is specifically asked, you are not required to tell them you want it so you can get prego.  Just make sure to wait until the policy is in force to start trying, even if it means to wait an extra month.