Maternal & Child Community
Measuring way behind and no pole or yolk sac??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My LMP was 4/30/12 and we met with the fertility specialist on 5/29 to start clomid. However we were already pregnant so we started regular prenatal care. Because I have Hashimoto's Disease and we miscarried 12/11 they are keeping a very close on this pregnancy. My hcg levels are iffy. They aren't doubling but definitley increasing nicely. We had our first ultrasound and based my my LMP I should have been 6w 1d but the sac was only measuring 4w 1d. Dr wanted to check again in 5 days. At which point the baby was only measuring 4w 2d but there was a yolk sac forming but the sac also had a hemorrhage and there was a hemorrhagic cyst on my left ovary. That was 6 days ago. The dr said we had a 90% change of miscarriage. Well for the past 3 days I have been having really bad cramping with NO bleeding. But the dr sent me in to the hospital to check it out anyway to make sure it wasn't ectopic. So after the us I waited to talk to the dr and she said that the sac only grew 1 mm and there was no ectopic possibility and the yolk sac wasn't present in this us. She said because the equipment they use is not as up to date as what they use in the office she couldn't tell me the week and day measurement. But she did say that there was no fetal pole so she thinks its not a viable pregnancy. I am soooo confused. She said its just a waiting game, which I understand. She said we should have another ultrasound at the end of this week but I sit and wait confused and scared. Not sure what to do. Any other women with similar situations? What was the outcome?
Hi!
I am sorry you are going through so many tensions regarding this pregnancy. Normally a gestational sac with a yolk sac appears at about 5 weeks (calculated from your last missed period date) of pregnancy and can be well visualized by 6 weeks on a transvaginal (through a vagina) ultrasound (so it can be missed at 5 weeks). Fetal heart beat usually appears by 8-9 weeks. This is why it is best to repeat the scan a week or two later.
At times the sac appears but there is no baby inside. This is called blighted ovum. This is confirmed if an ultrasound through vagina reveals a sac with gestational sac diameter greater than 13 mm and no yolk sac, or diameter more than 18 mm with no embryo. Follow-up ultrasound is done after 10 days to verify diagnosis. Normally it is wise to wait until 10-11 weeks of pregnancy for a confirmed diagnosis of blighted ovum or fetal death. Meanwhile monitor the HCG levels at 48-96 hours intervals. If they rise and almost double in 48-96 hours, then chances of pregnancy carrying forward are high. Please discuss with your gynecologist. Take care!
Thank You very much for the help. That made it a lot clearer. We have an ultrasound and an appointment tomorrow. Crossing my fingers for a yolk sac and fetal pole.