Maternal & Child Community
Menses after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Menses after miscarriage

I had a miscarriage at 5.5 weeks pregnant. The miscarriage was almost 6 weeks ago and I have yet to get my period again? Is this normal? Should I call my doctor? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.
Yes, I think it is normal to take 6 weeks for your cycles to start again. If you are concerned, I would call your doctor. It doesn't hurt to call the nurse and discuss how long you should wait before coming in. Sorry about your loss. Were you trying to get pregnant? Are you planning to try again soon? Have you been trying to get pregnant since your miscarriage. You will ovulate before you have your next menses, so you could get pregnant before you even get a period. If you are planning to try again soon, good luck!
It can take 8 weeks to get your first cycle after a m/c. With my last m/c, it took 6 weeks to the day from the last day of bleeding. I was just over 10 weeks by the time the m/c completed. Good news is I was able to get pg the very first cycle and delivered a healthy baby boy. With my first three losses, it took anywhere from 4-7 weeks for cycles to start again. If you are concerned, definitely call your doctor.

Andrea
I think it's different for everyone.  After my d&c, it took five and a half weeks from the actual d&c before I got AF.  I think it just depends on you.  Good luck.
I micarried at 5 months and had a D and C the same day (May 27th.) I started my cycle on June 30th. So it really does vary. Before my discharge, the nurse said that it could weeks before I see my cycle and the flow of the cycle will vary too. Mine was quite heavy but my OB put me on the BC pills to regulate it and slow it down, to eventually stop my cycle. I am now waiting for my second cycle to come. Good luck to you and I hope all works out.
I wrote sometime back on this subject without much response, but am writing again.  After our 1st IVF I M/C'd in Feb at aprrox 2.5 weeks, now here in late July still do not have a normal cycle returning.  My hormones(FSH, Estrodial & Progesterone)are all at normal levels, and endomitrial lining is normal.  This last month (July) finally we saw 2 days of light spotting occuring. Certianly not enough to throw a periods party or anything, but far more than we've seen since Feb.  Very preplexed as to why the prolonged amenhorrea.  The IVF doc noted a 5cmx10cm large fibroid pre-IVF, though failed to make mention it until after IVF, and presents it now as a possible reason for M/C. He believes the ammenohreas is due to menapause.  I was concerned that potentially the fibroid was the culpirit impeeding with my cycle as it was locted on the outside uterus, right side, within the area of the right ovary.  A recent mri scan shows no fibriod over 2cm, essentially nothing out of the norm from previous pelvic mri(which concluded unicornuiate uterus, and a small amount of fibroids all < 2cm or smaller in size).  Prior to massive quanitites of hormones used for IVF, all hormones levels were normal, I still ovualted regulary, and one could set their watch by my 4-5 day menses cycle. Still 6 months later I have no answers for the inexplicable ammenorhea.  I have gone to both my OBGyn & IVF doc with a list of possible culpirts to rule out. My IVF doc seems uninterested in persuing the issue, my OBGyn is still putting the story together but willing to search for reasons. Comments?
Thanks. 40+
Wow, I sorry to hear about your frustration- you are the first person I can relate to. I am so tired of hearing everyone say they get their period within 6 weeks of miscarriage. I am at 15 weeks and still nothing. I did have some light spotting at 8 weeks, but i don't think it was a period. This is something that I feel like I could handle- but nobody cares. My doctor basically said not to bother him until I haven't had my period six months after my misscarriage. And to add insult to injury, took a home pregnancy test last week that came up positive and when I did the same test at the clinic, it was negative. I feel so alone and frustrated that my doctor absolutely will not see me.
I just got my AF since my MC and I was 6 weeks pregnant and it was 8 weeks until I got AF.
i  had a miscarriage  in last year july after that i get menses regular till the end of the year but in this new yeat iam not getting regular mensis why and what to do ia there any medicines for regular periods