Maternal & Child Community
Menstrual cycle after D and c

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Menstrual cycle after D and c

Hi all,
I am a silent reader of this forum and found it very usefull.I had a D and C on February 9th and had quite heavy bleeding with clots for a week.Then i was very fine and had a post surgery appointment where the doctor said its all fine and asked us to try for a baby after my cycle is over as chances of miscarriage are high before first cycle.I had my period(hope its periods) on march 9th it was not too heavy but normal for 5 days and then spottong for 10 days or more which was till 22nd of march.And after that i had nothing for 1 week and again from yesterday i am having bleeding Initially i thought it was implantation bleeding as me and DH were bding after my first cycle and it was 1 week early to my normal AF.But today morning i had cramps and again some mild bleeding is happeneing.I called up the nurse line and discussed the same and they told might be this is my period and she also told the midcycle spotting should not be there in april.y question is anybody who had D and c is this mid cycle spottoing and early AF commen after D and C and when can we start trying for a baby.Incase i dont bleed now is this my period? i am confused totally please tell me if its all normal??and when we can start trying again
Hey there - I had a D&C January 27th. I bled for two days, stopped bleeding, then had really bad cramping a few days later and bled for another few days.. and then had spotting for the next two weeks after that. So I was "bleeding" for three weeks post D&C. My doctors said that was totally normal.
I was just wondering - after your D&C did your doctor follow your hormone levels all of the way down to Zero? Mine did, and they said that if you dont follow them down to zero, then you wont really know when your first REAL period is.
They told me that your first period will come AFTER your HCG levels have reached ZERO, and not before that. Otherwise it can not be counted as your period.
My hormone levels JUST reached "zero" (5 or below are considered zero) last week, and I started stpotting last Friday, and I have been having mild cramping and light bleeding for the last few days. So I am having a light flow period. IT has been 9 weeks post D&C.
I would suggest you asking your doctor for a blood test to confirm that your HCG levels are at zero. Then you can know more.
Sorry that was so long.
Hello, I am 26 years old and trying to conceive. My question is when can I be most fertile, on what days for this month (March)?

Going back couple months ago...
(Dates when I have my first period for each month)
Nov. 28th
Dec. 30th
Jan. 29th
Mar. 10th - (40 days??)

My fianc
If you have a normal period cycle, you probely should have ovulated around the 22-26. So, the days you and DH bd, it is possibly to be preganant. But, it's still too soon to take a hpt and find out. I am on the smae period cycle as you. Wait to try another hpt on Monday maybe as early as sunday. My DH and I had a M/C on March 9th, it was a chemical pregnancy so, we are trying ttc again. Good Luck to you and lots of babydust**************************
hi brithey thank u for ur reply.
hey after my D and c they tool blood from me for my blood work that was in the recovery room after d and c.Also during my post surgey appt i was asked to give urine sample. the dobtor told its all normal and i had an appoitment for test result she told the miscarriage is because of chromosomal problem and its ok since i have a reason to miscarry rather than just like that.this test result wrere gievn 1 month after d and c so incase of any proble she would have told me rihgt or shd i still ask for blood test.Also did u have the normal period with red blood.My period on march 9th was brownish discharge so i wnder if that was my period? please reply if anybody had similar exp
Hey Loya -

My first period had red blood, pink blood and brown blood. And it was very light. However, I have never had really heavy flows, so it was probably about the right size of a period for the fact that I had my uterine walls scraped clean.. you know what I mean?
My doctor took blood the day of the D&C and then every week after that until my HCG levels reached zero. They said that the urine tests are inconclusive because those usually dont check anything under 100 hcg. The blood tests can measure all of the way down to zero, and I was under 100 for four weeks.. first at 54, then at 16 then at 9 and then 5 or below. And only AFTER I hit the "5 or below" mark, did I finally get my period.
My pregnancy was also a chemical pregnancy, so it was nothing wrong with me.. just the chromosomes. So that was good news for sure.
I would go ahead and count your most recent bleeding as the actual period, and just buy a whole bunch of OPK's (ovulation predictor kits) and just test every day until you get a positve. you should also be charting your Basal Body Temperature so that you can see what your chart looks like.
Fertilityfriend.com is good for that, and you need to buy a digital basal body thermometer, you can get them for like $10 at walgreens or whatever.. :)

IF you need anything else.. just ask! :)
Hey britney thanks a lot for ur concern,i ll check out how i bleed this time from today so that i ll know if its my period or not.Also wher can i get OPK's i generally(before d and c) have irregular menstrual cycle is there any chance that it will get regularised after d and c(just asking) asi am very desperate to get preg hope its works out soon.Can i check HCG level at home with amy kits if there are any? also regarding opk's where will i get and how much do they cost in a bunch is it use and throw like hpt??sorry if i am bombarding u with ques i ahve no body to help .thanks a lot
Hey there Loya - You can get OPK's at like a Walgreens, or any "pharmacy" type place. They usually come in packs of like 7, so I bought three.. because I have irregular menstrual cycles too.. and they tend to be on the longer side. Usually you would start taking OP's at about 8 days past ovulation..
OPK's can be about $20 per pack.. so it can get spendy if you want to test every day.. mid-afternoon urine is the best for them.. and you should try not to drink anything for about 3 hours before you are going to test.. helps bring the LH content of the urine to its peak.
You can check HCG levels at home with a PRegnancy test, but like I said, they can only test for around 50 mcg of HCG levels.. anything lower than that will not be conclusive. ALtho I hear that Dollar Store tests can test for like 20-25 MCG.. but anything below that it is hard to test for.. a blood test would be the best.. however, considering that this is your second round of bleeding.. I would assume that you were at zero already.
I would just try and BD (baby dance) every other day, and keep testing yourself for ovulation. EVery other day BD-ing is suppose to be the best way to "guarantee" sperm meets the egg..

Also start charting your basal body temp.. that will help some because after you have ovulated, your temp is supposed to jump like 0.5 degrees.. and then if you are pregnant, it will STAY up.. and if not.. it will dip back down..
Thanks a lot brithey i ll do wat u are telling and ask uincase of any more doubts thank u very much for being so concerned will never forget.
Loya-I found a website yesterday, www.saveontests.com, and they have ovulation predictors and pregnancy test VERY cheap.  I ordered some to check them out.  I'll post when I get them and let everyone know how they are.  I ordered a combo pack, 20 ovulation tests and 5 pregnancy tests for $10.25, like $12 with shipping and handling.  I found this site through peeonastick.com.  I hope it's good stuff.  It looks like just the basic test strips but who needs all the bells and whistles if it works, right?  Good luck to you, I hope you conceive soon!
hey marie  thank u and do let me know how it is once u get it.thank u for ur wishes yaar.i want ur wishes to come true soon.
Thanks. I really appriciated your input. Today, I have a slight headache and my stomach's been feeling weird. I can't wait i'm way too excited to find out! Oh by way... do you think i'm still regular even though i have a big gap on my last period??

Thanks again!
Analiza
I think you could be regular. I hate the waiting game too. I was going to the Dollar tree today to pick up some tests so I can POAS all I want and not feel bad. It gets expensive. Today I feel tired and my right bb hurts so bad. I think it's all in my head though. Hope everything turns out good for you!!!
Dollar Tree...wow i never thought of that. I actually bought a pack today..lol. Hopefully to last me for 3 days. Man... i hate waiting...now all i think about is "am i pregnant?".

Well anyhow, thanks again for replying to my messages... i hope you get what you ask for and wish you the best of luck too.

Talk you later,
analiza
I had a natural m/c, not a d&c, but I had a major problem with bleeding/spotting between periods until now that I have conceived again.  My doc said it can take a few months sometimes for your cycle to regulate after a m/c, whether d&c or natural.  Good luck.  I know all that bleeding can be a pain!
I had a d/c on dec 16th.  i am still bleeding heavy when i get my AF AND this month got my af twice.  On March 8th, and the 25th.  When will my cycles get more regular?  Has anyone had this experience?

thanks!