Maternal & Child Community
Menstrual cycle after miscarriage (second period)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi! I had a natural miscarriage on July4th. After the bleeding stopped completely, I waited for a month and got my first period, which seemed very normal, no pain, no problems, maybe just slightly on a lighter side. Then, to my complete surprise, I got another period only 20 days later. Usually, my cycles are 30 days apart, but this time it was a 20 day interval, the period is slightly heavier and I wake up in the morning with a mild backache. Is this normal?
Thanks,
Anne.
This is normal. I had 2 m/c's during Mar-May and after the second m/c, I had a short cycle then after that I had a 32 day cycle. Then I had 2 periods in one month. Now I am preggers again, 6 weeks 2 days. I wasn't even trying again, I was relaxing!!! I love how things can work out....Take Care sweetie!
Hi girls! I am going sort of thru the same here!
My m/c was back in July the 3rd, after that i had a very light period 5 1/2 weeks later (almost just spotting) then after that one i think i had implantation but it failed and now i am getting my 2nd. AF after my m/c which looks pretty normal to me (heavy though, i almost wanted to go to the ER the first day!) but now it's almost over.....they say that you can conceive after the first normal AF...so i don't really know what's gonna happen. I don't know whether to use an OPK this month or just send it all to heck and go back to my regular normal life....
I've been thru so much pain in the past 3 months is not even funny, and last week that i got my faint + and then AF i sank all the way to the bottom. Now, i don't want to put too much effort into the ttc thing cuz i feel i am done with the pain!...too much to handle, so, i don't know yet if i will be buying the OPK or not.....
I might get a puppy in the mean time to put my mind and heart somewhere else (my parents are leaving soon after being here for 3 months...so, i have this sense of lose incredibly hurtful!) Good luck to you guys!
Completely normal.  Your period will most likely be back to normal this next cycle.  I'm very sorry for your loss.
I just wanted to say sorry for your loss.  I think it's perfectly normal.  Your body may take a few cycles to regulate itself.  I just had my 2nd af since my d&c 6/27.  Good luck to you and baby dust to us all.
Diana
Hey Vanessa!  I haven't been on my computer so today is the first time I've seen your post.  I am so sorry that SHE showed her ugly face.  Try not to dwell on it too much.  I know it's hard, but you'll drive yourself nuts otherwise.  Try and look on the bright side, it's only been 2 cycles for both of us so far, a lot of the women on here have been waiting for 12 or more.  So in that sense, you and I are very fortunate.  Plus, we already know we can get pregnant, it's only a matter of time.  Go get that puppy and just have fun for a while.  xoxox
Di
Sorry to take space to ask this question....
How likely am i to conceive after this first 'normal' AF? should i wait longer than 3 calendar months and 2 AF's?
Thanks in advance =)
It sounds like you had a chemical pregnancy this last cycle.  I'm very sorry.  

I think getting a puppy is a good idea.  I really want a pet, but am not allowed where I live.  If I could though I'd have a cat (only because we have very little space and I'd want the dog to have more room to move around in).  

I understand about wanting to give up on ttc. It took us six years to conceive and I wanted to give up A LOT during that time.  You are grieving and in pain and it is understandable that you feel like it is too much to handle.

You can try this cycle though if you want to. It's OK to wait another cycle if you are feeling emotionally or physically up to trying right this moment.   You could always buy the OPKs and have them in the house just in case.  We tried right away after our miscarriage, unfortunately it took us two years to conceive again.  But we really wanted to try right away.  Most of that was just us wanting to have a baby, and to have the baby we lost come back to us.  It had more to do with needing to do it, and not much to do with wanting to do it.  It was just something we had to do.  

I've known many women that get pregnant before having their first period after miscarrying.  Some of those go on to miscarry again.  If it was early though you really don't need to wait.  It's really just depends on how you are feeling.

I wish you the best.  No-one should have to feel  the pain of a miscarriage.
I was actually wondering the same thing as I just finished my second period since my miscarriage.  It was more painfull than I remembered them ever being and started earlier than expected.  I do have another question though and was wondering if anyone could answer... i'm getting some weird fiberous stuff during my period (it's just reddish black and small  fibers).  I've never seen this before and my doctor appointment isn't for 2 weeks.  Has anyone else experienced this?
I had my first miscarriage in 1999 and i just had my 2nd miscarriage June 1st. I still havent had a menstrual cycle and it has been 5 weeks and 4 days since my miscarriage. We have been married for almost 13 years and we have been together for 19 years and we havent been blessed to have a child yet although we want one very badly. He is to the point after this miscarriage that he said " Im giving up". Im on fertility treatment (Clomid 100mg) and my husband has been tested and has a low sperm count. They are telling me that i can start taking the meds again after a full cycle but Im to the point that i dont think that it will ever come again. Im 32 and my life clock is clicking and my husband is 37 we want to be able to run after our children and play. im keeping my fingers crossed and the baby dust flying.....you all have a great day and keep faith although some of ours has been stretched to the limit.
hi i had d/c at oct 02 and after tht bledding was noramal and stopped completly .. and  my first period was started at NOV 08 its a very noramal period but at tht time i am waitting for my second period ..did u say me at which time my second period is start?
i had a miscarriage in nov 09 after trying for a baby for 11 years. previously i had a ectopic in 2000 . it was a shock that i even concieved this last time. today i am in agony as my period started 2 days ago with clots and brown and fresh coloured blood mixed with the clots. i fear i have miscaried again although the test i did was negative 2 weeks ago.i took the test early , wishfull thinking on my part and after visiting the doctors with nausea and vomiting etc. i was a week late and had all the symptoms of pregnancy. i feel depressed. my question is why did my last few periods only last 3 days or so and painless compaired to this? is it normal?? i have been using the OPK aswell. also is it normal to be able to produce white milk like liquid from both breast if i squeeze them? i know it sounds horrible, i am becoming obsessed.
I m/c May 12 at 5 1/2 weeks, my first kinda period was spotting for a week then about 2 days of light flow. and now this month i have been spotting again for about 5 days dark brown with weird fibrous stuff and flecks as well. I am thinking that these are not counting as periods as they are not normal to me. So sad cause I just want to start trying again. I'm 34yrs old and had been on b/c pill for 15yrs with perfect periods. Just want a normal period so I can try again. :( have a dr appt for mid july hope i figure out what's going on. I am thinking my hormones are completely screwed up and failing me.
Here there....is it normal to get real bad pains and cramps on your first period after your miscarraige (miscarriage)?
I was looking for some advice or support about second AF after miscarriage.  I miscarried February 15th, natural miscarriage without much pain but a moderate-heavy flow.  I waited 6 weeks and my next AF came March 28th, it was without much trouble, lighter flow and minimal cramps.  April 29th I started my second AF since the miscarriage and it has been horrible all accross the board.  It started 4-5 days before AF arrived with the nausea, headaches, diarrhea and just plain feeling awful.  It seemed I started to feel better the day AF started and then the third day in started with the diarrhea again which is still continuing today on day 4.  I thought things were suppose to get better, not worse.  
I went thru the same thing M/C in May and had my periods twice in June and I had bad cramps and pains. It was'nt a nice feeling so I decided to put on hold for now and just go back to my normal life and take control pills for a while till I'm heeled both emotionally and physically.