Maternal & Child Community
Menstrual cycle and leg pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Menstrual cycle and leg pain

Since my son was born (28 months ago) I have had severe leg pain and numbness during menstruation. I don't have abdominal cramps or back pain, but the leg issues are so severe it is difficult to even walk. I am 25 with history of ovarian cycts, preterm delivery, but no other health issues. I am fit and active, eat well, practice yoga almost daily. No one's been able to determine what the problem is and pain releivers, exercise, nothing has helped. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Have any clue what's going on?
I too have been searching for answers about this,I am 22...Never had any children nor have i ever been pregnant and take excellent care of myself. Since i was about 17/18 I started having severe leg bone pain during my menstrual cycles. It starts a day or two before and lasts throughout the duration of my cycle. It comes and goes in waves,From my hip bone all the way down to my ankles. best way to describe it would is like the bones are being stressed and about to snap,It's extremely painful. Along the lines of Arthritic patients.

It lasts for hours sometimes,Like EarlybirdMama says,It makes it hard to walk anf function.

All i can attribute it to is perhaps having a deficiency in minerals,and possibly anemia and hormones,Perhaps a combination of all of the above.

Further insight on this would be greatly appreciated,I'm setting up an appointment soon to have a blood panal done to see if i can confirm of it is anemia (B deficiency) or something else all together.

Thanks for the Help.
Leg pain during menstrual cycles is a symptom of endometriosis.    You both might want to do a good search for that.

Best wishes.
I experience abdominal pain and leg pain during my menstrual periods... I'm wooried don't know what to do? Is it a major problem? should i've to see a Doctor? I want to become pregnant...Plz reply...
I am 22 and I have also been experiencing the same thing that stoic_deity has described with the extremely painful leg pain that starts in the hip, travels to the toes, goes to the other hip, travels down that leg, and I have even experienced it in one of my arms. This usually occurs around my menstrual cycle, but sometimes it happens nowhere near that time. It also gets worse for periods of time, sometimes occurring several times every week for a few months. I've never been pregnant and take vitamins and minerals. I have been experiencing this since I was around age 14. I have been to the doctor and they said it was not arthritis. One doctor said it could be endometriosis, which I will look further into. No doctor has been really conclusive however. If anyone has any information on this I would be really thankful.
I have very similar problems. I'm 32 and have for about ten years had pain for about 3 days to a week before my period and it worsens as it nears. The pain is in my hips and legs, not just the joints but the entire bones, I agree with the comment that it feels like the bone is tired or stressed. I also get mild cold sores at that time and my gallbladder bothers me as well. There are also problems with loose bowel with the onset of the period. I have mentioned all of this to my Gyno and she siad it is likely a hormonal imbalance because the body decreases estrogen moving toward the menstruation. She said its fairly common but there is no real name for it. For the pain I have found that heat works better than any pill. however the jacuzzi nearly sends me to the ER it makes it so bad my hips and legs hurt awful. At times if I take both 2 ibuprofen and midol max it relieves it a bit, and at times excedrin menstrual complete has been the most help lately. Since the condition is something fairly common but not often discussed there is not much help out there. I wish it had a name at least but the Gyno and several general physicians I have gone to just have little information.
I've had this problem for about 4 years now after the birth of my 3rd son. It started after about a year when I was breast feeding & started my period again. I had to stop breast feeding cause I thought my hormones were going crazy out of whack. This is when my leg pain started. All throughout my teenage years I just had the normal abdominal cramping & that's about it. But that actually went away & turned into severe cramping in my legs. I don't think it's pain in my bones. I really think its just the muscle. But yes it starts in my buttox & goes all the way down to my ankles. It usually only lasts 2/3 days during the heaviest part of my cycle. There are times where it's so excruciating that I can't walk. I heard to drink more fluids, take more minerals, exercise. This is all supposed to help. I guess I haven't taken that advice to heart & I just suffer thru it. I'm not real big on medications, but once when I did take some Motrin for a couple of days because I knew how active I was going to be, it took the pain away then, but then it came back & lasted for about a week, during the part of my cycle when it doesn't happen. It's like the medication just suppressed the pain for a time but made it actually get worse later. Also I became anemic with this 3rd pregnancy & I am still anemic.  Btw I am 37. The only thing they diagnosed me with is Menorrhagia. And they also found some of the non cancerous fibroids in my ovaries. I do not take birth control. They said the birth control could help with the amount of bleeding & therefore perhaps the extent of my pain. Just not willing to increase my risk for cancer by taking birth control. Hopes this helps someone or if anyone else has found a solution to this leg pain. (I guess this is a medical help site. Just did a web search. Not trying to talk down medicine here just sharing my experiences.)
I have awful bone pain also. Knowing others have this also makes me know I'm not crazy :) it's very painful and heat(long hot bath) is the only relief I get. The pain starts about 3 days before period and lasts throughout. It's from lower back, down legs, to my ankles... I am 28 and have to sleep  with and use heating pad all the time. Would love to take it everywhere I go