Maternal & Child Community
Midwife vs. Obstetrician

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Midwife vs. Obstetrician

I am about 7 weeks along and still can't decide between seeing a midwife or an OB.  I like the idea of a midwife since I hope they would have more time for me but at the same time I wonder if it would be safer to have a obstetrician.  Does anyone know what to expect in terms of medical options with a midwife? For instance, it is likely that I will eventually want an epidural, can you get one with a midwife? And what happens if you tear? Can the midwife sew you back up or is that something only OBs do?  And what about a c-section - how would it work if you needed one, unplanned?  Thanks for any info from people who have been through this before!
i dont know much about midwives, but i yahoo searched 'midwife VS ob' and came up with this (hope it helps):

Most midwifes are associated with a OB. Infact in most states if they are certified or licensed they have to be.
Most midwifes are RN's with extra training, unless they are a lay mid-wife. Then they are not certified or licensed, depending on the state.

Where do you want ot give birth, home, birthing center, or Hospital. That might make a difference. Some OBs will only do hospitals and some birth centers have manily mid-wifes with one or two OB on call.

Certified Nurse Midwives are R.N.s with an additional 3 to 4 years training in women's health and midwifery/obstetrics. They're able to prescribe medicine and run all the same routine tests that an OB does. CNMs work with an obstetrician whom they will refer patients to if complications arise within the pregnancy.

When considering whether you want to go to an OB or a CNM think about a few things... What kind of birth do you envision? Though this isn't always the case most midwives view birth as a natural process versus a medical process and if you're planning on going med-free you may be more comfortable with a midwife... Do you have any health problems that would make going to OB a more logical step?

Generally a midwife promotes a more natural approach - laboring longer at home, a natural birth, avoiding an episiotomy and medications, letting you labor in your own way until you need her, etc.

An OB would have to be present for an epidural, c-section or any other medical intervention.

a lot of sites recommend you and your DH meeting with BOTH a midwife and an OB and seeing which you are more comfortable with...

good luck in your decision
i also found this website which is pretty informative:

http://pregnancytoday.com/articles/4219.php
Well I started with an OB with my DD and I liked him. He is a very popular doc in our area (extremely busy). Every time I went to see him I at least waited an hour. It made me frustrated. When I went into labor it ended in c-section. Which was good that I had an OB there.
In June I had a m/c and I tried to get a hold of him and couldn't reach him. This has happened more than once trying to get a hold of him. I couldn't stand it anymore. I felt like I needed someone more personable and less busy.
My sister goes to a midwife and I decided to try it out. So I called that same day I was trying to get a hold of my OB and I was seen that day. She is amazing I just love going there. I never wait anymore. Now when I have another baby and I will have to have another c-section. She is under an OB and the OB will do the c-section and she will be in there to make sure that I'm O.K. She is so personable and caring compared to my OB. I feel so much more comfortable and she sits in the room and just talks to me and makes sure my questions are answered. So midwife fits me more than an OB. You can always try a midwife and if you don't like it you can see the OB in that office or whatever. If you like someone more personable I would go with a midwife. OB are good though too. It's really hard to decide. I am just glad I decided what I did. Good Luck!!!
I know several midw, they don't sew u back up, they say it heals so much better (now this is w/the ones I know) I live in ALA so u have to drive to TENN. to have your baby b/c of the law. I didn't wanna chance having to make that long of a drive while in labor, the cost was about $2000.00 vs $about $7000.00 w/ an OB DR but I still chose the OB for delivery. I liked my OB DR, but after being sewn up I had alot of pain after my 6wk checkup, so who knows maybe they are own to something about the no sew thing. ALL the women I know that did have a midwife liked it, some go to the hosp. w/u, while others have a center (or house) set up for u to give birth in. Guess it just depends on the law & where u live. Good Luck!! Either way u choose I'm sure you'll be HAPPY :)
I think a midwife is great if you're having a perfect pregnancy, but who can tell if that will be the case? Maybe I'm prejudiced because I started hemorrhaging and almost died (no, I'm not exaggerating), but still I'd feel safer with an OB. Yes, I had to wait an 45min. average every time, but I just prepared for it with a book. Even though my OB was very busy (they booked patients every 7.5 min for her and I had to wait, she took enough time when I had a question.
I actually had my first hospital appointment today. Like you, I too was confused about what kind of care i wanted. After discussing all my options i decided on team midwifery where about 5-6 midwives take care of me thru the 9 months and then when i actually do go into labour one of those 6 will deliver my baby.. I dont actually see a doc unless a medical prob arises. Since ill be having a hospital birth there will be a doc on duty (should i need it) but if birth goes smoothly my midwife can take care of everything. They are very expirienced at handling and detecting abnormalities in pregnancy, so if you have chosen the midwife option you should feel secure. Also remember that during your antenatal care if you feel unhappy with your decision you can change it anytime.  Good luck!
There are some practices that have both OBs and Midvives.  You just have to call around.  I chose an OB for this pregnancy and saw both for my DS.  My experience has been great thus far and barely wait 10 minutes during my appointments.  I asked about the wait time during my search for an OB.  The office has a policy about waiting more than 15 minutes (not sure what happens because I have never waited that long).  Good luck and I hope you have a great experience!
Thanks for all your comments - hearing other people's experiences is really helpful.   I found an office here that has 7 obs and a midwife in the practice, as well as two NPs.  I guess I just find the MDs kind of intimidating and I don't want to feel that way during my pregnancy! But then I am such a worrywort that I am always wondering what if something goes terribly wrong and I need a doctor.  So hopefully this office will be a good balance for me! Thanks again.
I am 7 weeks pregnant and feel the very same as you in your first post, i like the care and attention a Mid Wife would give but do plan to have it in hospital and proply epidural, it's my first pregnancy.

I was just wondering how did it all workout for you?