Maternal & Child Community
Migraines During Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Migraines During Pregnancy

I have had a horrible migraine for the last 3 days, its even made me ill it was so bad.  I called the doctor and she said no excedrine at all, which is what I used to take all the time to get rid of them.  They prescribed me something but it will be about 8 hours before I can pick it up.  Is there anything that I can do to ease the pain?  Something?  Anything?  
tylenol is safe during pregnancy.  I get migraines as well, usually I take liquigels but not allowed now.  

Try to lie still in a quiet place.  Put a cool cloth over your face.

I hope you feel better soon.
I had this too...4 days it lasted. I drank loads and loadsa water and put an ice pack on my head. I couldn't sleep much but just lay still in bed with the window open. try relaxation techniques also, lots of deep breathing, tense all muscles and relase them one by one.I began to realise that the more I got annoyed with it the more it hurt.

I hope it eases there is nothing worse
I had a few migraines early on too...it's the hormones (progesterone specifically) so it's a good sign even though it's miserable.  I shut all the lights off, took some tylenol (I'm an excedrin migraine girl too) but a cool washcloth on my forehead and over eyes, and tried to sleep.  It was the most miserable day of pregnancy when I was sick, got a migraine, got sick again because of the migraine, and then it finally went away.  It felt like weeks, and I felt like it was never going to get better.  BUT, it did in less than 24 hours.  I really hope you feel better, and remember that it will go away.  Best wises-
I am not pregnant but get migraines a lot and instead of cold I have a little bean bag type thing you put in the microwave and get hot and that works pretty well along with a quiet and dark room.
I had HORRENDOUS migraines my entire pregnancy.  they even sent me for a ct scan it was so bad.
I was prescribed vidocin and percocet because no migraine medication is safe to take.  Tylenol did absolutely nothing for me.  I was completely unable to move for over a week at one point.  I was sensitive to sounds, I was dizzy, sick tomy stomach.  NOT fun.
Good luck and feel better.
Just for the record ladies, this is the generic name of the migraine/headache medication my high risk OBGYN prescribed:  Butalbital/APAP/Caffeine TBMIK  Yeah it's long but this stuff was AMAZING and killed that horrible migraine in about 15-30 minutes!
Thank you guys so much!  I took a hot bath and rested the back of my head and neck in the warm water, then did some stretching exercises.  It helped a little and made the headache bearable for now.  The prescription my doctor gave me was basically for Excedrine but without the Asprin.  They said it was totally safe in pregnancy and after all I've been through with this pregnancy I trust my doctor fully.  (They are the ones who managed my tumor surgery during pregnancy and my follow up as well as my Graves' Disease).

By the way!  I'm 15 weeks 5 days and have been feeling my little moving around now and again but almost on a daily basis.  My next appointment is the 19th of March, I'm so nervous.  On another positive note!  My Graves' Disease has been in remission for 10 days!  I'm so happy, after 3 years I almost feel human again, and much better than that it gives my baby a better chance at survival.
for migraine prevention (wont help an attack) try B2 + Magnesium. i started that maybe a year ago and havent had a migraine since.
oh the other thing i do is massage my big toe the section under the middle of the toe, if my head is bad i can feel a build up of crystals...i work them out and that helps too
I too suffer from migraines. When I am not pregnant, two advil and two excedrin do the trick, along with laying down in the dark and taking a nap.
But while pregnant I refuse to take anything at all---even Tylenol--(which doesn't do a thing for me anyway)

So one thing that I read that I do is take a warm/hot bath, (not too hot)and at the same time, put an ice pack on your head.
The warmness surrounding your body will cause the blood in your head to divert to the body, pulling it away from those throbbing temples.
The soothing coolness of the ice pack further helps to relieve the headache.
This usually works for me, especially if I can take a little snooze in the tub.
It also works best if you can do it before the migraine gets too severe---I just got over a stinkin 4 DAY MIGRAINE!!!! But I never had time to do anything to try to relieve it.
I am pregnant now and I have been getting migraines also, I have always waited for them to go away. They started to get worst so I found things to do that helped me. When they come I try to get rest and usually I massage the sides of my head and thye go away.