Maternal & Child Community
Milk coming out of baby's nose???????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Milk coming out of baby's nose???????

I am really freaked out. My baby is 2 wks old and she has had 2 times when she spit up that it came out of her nose, I didnt think much of it but now Im worried, I was breastfeeding her and there was milk steadily driping out of her nose as she was eating. Has anyone else had this happen?? Is it normal??

PeanutMom
Hey there! Congrats on your baby! I apparently missed the birth announcement on the board.

Don't worry! Milk come sout of COltons nose all the time. The pedi said it is just an immature digestive system...all the holes aren't working as effeiciently yet as they will as your baby gets older.

Good luck!!
Yeah don't let it freak you out.  Perfectly normal.  Have you ever got sick and it came out of your nose.   That is nasty, happened to me once.  Well my DD did that when she was 3 months old.  She was in her bouncy seat and spit up.  It came out of both nostrils and my DH and I called our parents and asked if we should take her to the ER.  LOL!!!!!!  I look back on it now and laugh that we got so freaked out.   Good Luck and Congrats on that new one.  Take Care
Thanks. Now that I think about it I dont now why I freaked out, I guess I was just worried about her aspirating. Ive been so busy I havent posted my birth announcement I will post one today.

PeanutMom
My now three month old baby boy has had three bad episodes where milk has come out his nose whilst bringing up his wind. As apose to milk just coming out of his nose, my lil boy is sick but instead of the milk passing out from his mouth, it has been coming out of his nose. He struggles for breath due to his nose passage being bloked up, and we have had to call the ambulance on to occasions. As soon as we arrived at the hospital all the tests begun, and the Dr is treating him for reflux. I am not convinced that my baby has reflux, he isnt a sick baby, and is puting on weight. The doctor explained that my baby had gone though a near to death experience, and I am so nervous now. Any advice, as I am going to have a second opinion with another Dr.
Hi Els...I have the same question...today I was feeding my little Jaxson and milk was coming from his nose....from what I read though it's not a biggie...im going to mention it to my doctor just to be on the safe side....good luck to ya'
Hello my son is one month today and has the same problem.Just this morning he had so much milk coming out of his nose he couldnt breath oh i was so scared. I called the doctor and he said my Ayden could have a cleft palate. You might want to read up on it and also ask your doctor if that might be something you children could have.  Good news is something that can be fixed. I hope everything is fine.
My son is approaching 4 weeks.Over that time milk mixed with phlegm consistently comes through his nose and mouth. The most shocking and scary thing about this is that it always happens whilst he asleep. Of course this wakes him but he struggles to breathe. Now we have to watch him constantly. We've taken him to the GP but a referral to a specialist will take weeks not doubt. Any suggestions?
My baby girl was a preemie and we were in the NICU for a month. Thankfully this happened for the first time there, because when it did, it scared the living daylights out of me!! The nurse told me not to panic, and QUICKLY got the nasal aspirator and began suctioning her nose out and continued to do so until the baby started crying. She said it's nothing to worry about but as soon as it happens, you HAVE to get the milk out of the nose IMMEDIATELY so they can breathe since babies are nose breathers. It has happened a few times since we've been home (just a few minutes ago actually) and every time is just as scary, but as soon as the milk is suctioned out and I can hear that she's breathing normally, all is well. It usually freaks her out, so I hold her and comfort her for a little while to reassure her mommy wasn't trying to hurt her, then all is well. The nurse said it happens because their little digestive systems are still immature and when they try to burp sometimes it comes out the wrong holes. Just like when we accidentally burp soda through our nose. It's nothing to worry about in the big picture, but it has to be handled RIGHT AWAY when you see it happen.
My son is now 3 months old and milk keeps coming out of his nose when I lie him down after a feeding. The Doctor keeps telling me its normal but when your baby cant breath there is nothing normal about that. He has been to the Doctor's office almost every week since I had him. I am so afraid to leave him with anyone but I have to go to work throughout the week and I worry all day long. I've swiched to so many different formulas like his pediatriacian suggested and tried sitting him up for awhile after feeding but that doesn't help at all. The milk still just comes out of his nose and he cant breath, He just started spitting up out of his mouth about 3 weeks ago for the first time. When he has those episodes he looks as if he is under water and cant breathe because his eyes get big and his face turns really red and he struggles to catch his breathe. He goes to a specialist very soon so hopefully I will get some answers.....hopefully!
Maybe something is just really really funny. That tends to make milk come out of people nose. Either that or the baby's constipated. Try putting some prune juice in the milk. That should do the trick
This just happened to my 10 day old baby girl and I'm freaked out aswell. I've never seen anything like this before. I'm taking her to the doctor tomorrow. You can never be too sure.
I know it's been a while. I read your comments. My 5 month old daughter shows the exact same signs after she is breastfed. Did you find out the cause or still remember how you handled it? I wonder if it's the content of my milk that's causing her to spit out.
appreciate any feedback. Im a bit concerned.
this has happened to my baby girl for the last 3 days she's only 8 days old i'm going to call the doctor tomorrow and see what she says i'm really worried too i hope this episode will bypass because i cant take the sight of seeing my lil girl gasping for air every time milk comes out of her nostrils. plus she has a habit of sucking her tongue and licking her lips constantly should i be worried about this issue too? ***@**** is my email address if n e one else has this issue too please free to email me an answer thanks!
My son is 8 days old & I'm breastfeeding after he ate a few minutes ago he had a small stream of milk come out of one side of his nose! He's breathing fine & has not had any problems this far. Should I call somebody or just keep an eye on it or what? I've never seen that happen before so I can't help but be a little freaked out!

My son has had milk coming out of his nose since he was born. My doctor told me it was fine since my son was growing normally. Recently my son got very sick and spent 3 weeks in the hospital. They ran every test they can think of and every one comes back normal. My son is now on a feeding tube and will be for another month or so. The swallow study showed that he has reflux and that a muscle to help him swallow is not contracting properly. the doctors say to wait and see what happens as he matures. They say he is a medical mystery.
by, jernae i am so sick of hearing these doctors say, its normal, i agree there is nothing normal about milk coming thru a babies nose and causing them to not breathe, my granddaughter has been experiencing this problem since she was 2 weeks old, she is now 7 weeks and it continues, my daughter has taken her to her pediatrician who said it was normal, we were not happy with that answer, so my daughter took her to childrens medical center, they said it was not normal and advised us to give her only 3ounces of formula every 3 hours, we have done this now for 2 weeks and still the milk coming thru the nose and spitting up continues, it has hapened while she was sleeping, after eating or if she's just sitting up, trips to the doctor for a solution continues.
First of all I've no respect to all the doctors who says its normal because its life threatening situation, I don't agree with them at all because it happened to my newborn (while we were on the drive) and we were really freaking out since she was not able to breathe well (even though it was very little) what I did I told my wife not to panic and to keep the baby's head higher than the stomach it was almost (75 to 80 degree angle) afterwards it stopped and she were able to breathe. Actually what we figured out the problem cause is newborn hiccups, their stomach is very tiny and but hiccups are very heavy for them so if you put the baby lie on the back after feeding and they get hiccups through pressure all the milk split out of stomach to mouth and nostrils so if the mouth is closed it reaches nose, as per the breath choking it’s because of formula milk because it tends to become thick transparent stuff (looks like mucus) which possible causes a choke in the throat.

moral of the story: keep the at 45 degree angle position after feeding at least 15 min and also keep monitoring when she starts hiccups put her back on 45 degree angle. (Hope this will help)

We learn the inside story by our experience maybe doctor won't like to share these things with us
So happy to see your post my premie he do exactly same thing and i use the pp then he all good luv me some lil Lindsey """!!