Maternal & Child Community
Miscarrage, what happens next

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Miscarrage, what happens next

Hello,  I'm pretty darn sure I just had a miscargage. A sweet nurse told me there was a chance that I could still be pregnant, but I just don't have any symptoms anymore. I cramped and bled quit a bit. The vaginal ultra sound found nothing, so I beleived that I lost the baby and was ready to know where to go from there. The doctor seemed to be pretty sure of her equiptment, but an advise nurse told me that since I am very small it would have been hard for the doctor to see for sure. I guess maybe the doctor didn't want to give me hope of the unlikely, but the nurse gave me just that and I'm going crazy. I just don't know how it could be. I would be okay knowing one way or another, but this is insane! It's like waiting to find out if you are pregnant to begin with only ten times worse! Well, does anyone have a similar experience? And what happens after you have a miscarage? And what are some causes. I know people will be like, "Oh don't blame yourself!" But I won't beet myself up about it or anything, I just want to be more aware for next time. I was not hveing enough nutrients or water, I was eating chocolate like a mother! I didn't get my rogam shot, I exercised! Doesn't it seem like it would be god to know if theses things truely are harmful so I can better protect my next baby, or this one if it's still alive?
Sometimes there is just something wrong from the beginning that causes the baby to stop developing. It is almost never anything we do that causes it. I have had 4 healthy babies and several miscarriages. I did absolutely nothing different each time.
I think they say like 50% of pregnancies miscarry, alot before we ever know we are pregnant.
Depending on how far along you are you will probably just go on to have a normal cycle and can get pregnant right away again. I got pregnant right after my last miscarriage, which I miscarried at 11 weeks and had a baby 9 months later.
I am sorry you are going through this. I know how hard it is.
Thanks for the comment, I think your right.
Thank you everyone for all the information youve given me. I did find out today that I lost the baby. I have a three year old and 18 month old, both girls. This pregnacy was a welcomed surprise because although we were using a nonagressive form of birth control( Fertility Awareness Method) I still had my maternal craveings. I think we are going to try again though. Thanks again, best of luck to everyone. bye bye for now.
I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't think you could have done anything that would have caused the mc.  A friend of mine, who is due with twins in January, was still doing her daily running (few miles) and playing tennis up until she was 6 months.  She is now just doing the fast walking and the babies are still doing well.

You shouldn't beat yourself up for that.
I lost a baby earlier this year.  It had taken me well over a year to concieve (conceive). The same sort of thing happened to me.  I found out I was pregnant, had my first appointment.  Then the unthinkable happened.  I started to have light bleeding.  I went to the ER concerned.  They checked me and said that everything looked fine and to follow up with my OBGYN.  

I went to my OB the next day, and they told me that it was considered a threatened abortion because of the bleeding, but checking the HCG levels 48 hours after the previous results had been taken would let us know for sure.  The wait was agonizing.  I went back for the second set of levels, and then had to wait for those results.  

I was very disappointed to learn that I was in fact miscarrying.  Since I was only 5-7 weeks along (we had not done a u/s and I am very irregular), the natural miscarriage was fairly easy.  It hurt mentally, but not physically.  I only bled for about a day.  It was like a normal period.  I had very minimal cramps.  The doctor checked my HCG levels until they returned to 0 (less than 5 is considered negative. IT only took me about 3-5 days for my levels to drop down.

Once my levels returned to normal, the nurse called me and said that the doctor said I was cleared to try to get pregnant again.  My husband and I began trying again right away.  

I began to "feel" pregnant again about 3 weeks after the m/c.  I took a test about 4 - 4 1/2 weeks after the m/c and it was positive.  I made another appointment, and an ultra sound done at about 6 1/2 weeks post m/c confirmed that I was in fact pregnant.  I had gotten pregnant at about 2 weeks post m/c.  

I am now 32 weeks along with a little girl.  I have done nothing different with this pregnancy than with the last.  I also have a 3 year old son that I had a smooth pregnancy with.  

The rate of m/c is quite high.  Most of the time it is a chromosomal abnormality that has nothing to do with anything you could have done.  It also does not mean that there is anything wrong with you.  It simply means that the chromosomes were not adding up right some how, and that the baby would not have survived.  This usually occurs when you are very early on.  And the body recognizes that there is a problem.  

Doctors usually consider one or two miscarriages "normal", and do not recommend any type of genetic testing until you have 3 miscarriages.  And even then, many people who go on to have testing find out that there are no problems.  

It is hard to lose a baby -- not matter how far along you are.  However, you are quite fertile right after m/c.  If you feel up to it (mentally and physically), and your doctor gives you the okay, you can start trying again soon.  It took me over a year to get pregnant with the baby I lost, but I got pregnant a meer two weeks after that.  I am very glad I did.  I still miss the baby that I lost, but personally, it was easier for me to try again right away.  It is a matter of personl choice.  Do not let anyone steer you one way or the other.  

Take care hun, and we are here if you have more questions.  

Sincerely,

Amanda
i just had a miscarriage & d & c on the 23rd of December.  It is very sad.  I hope to get pregnant very soon as well...my age is getting up there so I hope I can conceive.
Thanks,
Marie
I am so sorry for your loss... I am 28 yrs old with a 3 yr old... we tried for preg for 18 months and nothing... We found out on nov 28 we were expecting... our son was so happy to have a baby in mommys tummy. On X-mas morning i starting to lightly bleed.... the ER said with the blood work and the ultra sound the baby died about 3 week ago and this was on xmas day.... my doctor told me that it is still possiable i could still carry... we are still hoping, but i am ready for the miscarrage (miscarriage)..... i will keep you posted...

brenda
Reading these posts have made me feel a little better in my life right now, not only better but to know that there are women out that there that are cunfussed and hurting right now too.

I am 24 years old. In Nov of 2005 i have a my gall baldder taken out, 2 weeks after the surgrey i found out i was pregant. I had my frist appt. Dec 14th, my doctor wasnt sure how fare long i was, so i was sent to a High risk pregeany doctor. Not knowing what i was in for i just thaught my doctor was being safe to make sure we knew how fare along i was. In this time I was so happy, for the frist time in my life i flet whole. No matter what was wrong in in my life I could look into my babys eyes and be okay, But the good things turned for the worse. I had my Vagianl 4D ultasound on the flowing tuesday, that moring I was very happy I was goona see my baby. we knew i was about 7-9 weeks along, but needed to know.When I layed on that table to have the ultrasound done i never thaught I would here these words of heart ach come into my ears..I had misscaried at 7 weeks.I was 9 weeks pregant, I thaught I world would going to burst.The doctor never really told me why this happend.I blame My self and feel like my surgery caused it.The day I lost my baby was Dec 20th i had a DNC Dec 23rd. My doctor told me I should wait at least 2 months befor trying to get pregant again.I dont know what to do I am scared I will loss another and my heart cant take it.Im lost and alone, and scared to try again..Is there any hope for me? When should I try again?

Sincerly
                                  Angel
Hello, This forum is almost gone, so who knows if you will see it. I was just wondering if you were okay. You sound like you need a friend. If you had a D&C I would suggest waiting a couple cycles like the doctor says. I know it sucks, but you don't want that to happen again. Just be pacient, your baby is worth it.

My name is Gillian and I miscarried yesterday at 12 weeks.

The consultant told me that 4 out of 5 pregnancies end in miscarriage and there is no known reason for miscarrages.

I gave up drinking/smoking and my GP told me that i was likely to have a healthy pregnancy so i got excited that i was expecting.

I do feel disappointed that i have miscarried at such a time when i thought i was safe, however, i know woman who have had three miscarrages before going on to have four healthy children.

I have been told that the bodies immune system fights against pregnancy as the feocus is a foreign body and registers as a threat to the bodies health.

i have decided to accept this and be possitive that i will fall pregnant again and carry full term. I feel i have to as it took me 18 months to fall pregnant in the first place and i now know at least i can be pregnant.

I am sad at the loss but i am sure I, like other women who have miscarried, will go on to have healthy children.

So I hope that others can be as possitive as this and look forward to having a healthy pregnancy even if you have miscarried more than once.

Gillan x
I'm sorry for your loss. I have had 2 m/c myself.Hope to be pg again soon w/ no loss (this time around.)  I'll keep you in prayer.
I am sorry for your loss. I had a MC on Monday Jan/01, I was 12 weeks. I am glad to have found this forum so I can see that I am not alone in this. It has been an extremely hard week.
I agree with the first comment on this page about being more aware. I know that miscarriages are not to from anything we have done wrong and 25% of pregnancies end in MC. I am also reading books that say "If you've suffered 3 miscarriages get your hormones checked, your partners sperm checked. If you have polycystic ovarian sydrome (which I do)take precaution, get your hormone levels checked." Why don't doctor's offer these tests after your first miscarriage? I mean if we could prevent the 2nd or 3rd with the proper hormone supplement or fertility drugs for POS sufferers, wouldn't that be great? Why wait till the next time around?
Just thinking out loud...What do you ladies think?
Funda
Hi Guys
I miscarried on Friday 13th (unlucky for some) at 11 weeks. This was my 1st miscarriage and I felt quite devastated and hopeless that this happened.
Myself and my beautiful partner were so excited that we were expecting that we had even began to think of names etc. However my out look on the whole experience has been a positive one as the staff at the hospital were amazing and myself and my partner were given space and time to grieve. (because you do go through this natuaral process of loss)
I had to have an overwhelming support from family and friends who have been there and many of themselves have been through the same experiences.I can count of about 10 I know.

Even though it is still early days I still feel tears come to my eyes at what could of been, but if I need to cry I just do. My best friend said that it does get easier and I believe her. I just want to get my body happy and healthy again, and to give it another go.
I am about 5 weeks along and feeling kind of alone. Yesturday I started to get small cramps and very very little spotting. So I called my doctor and this morning I went in for an internal ultrasound. They found my babys heart beet but it was only 90 and the norm is at least 100 but really 120-180. The cramps are continued and but there is a little more bleeding not alot but enough for me to tell could the extra bleeding be from the internal ultrasound? I guess what I am looking for here is what does a miscarrage (miscarriage) look like and feel like?

Any advice would be great!

I also just had a miscarriage about one or two months ago. me and my boyfriend mourned for awhile and the nurse and also my ob told us there was a chance that i was still pregnant. well we got excited each time we went. well i did have a miscarriage and it really bummed me out alot. I am only 19 but i have raised so many other people's kids and i think it's time to have my own. My doctor never told me what she thought it might have been caused by. I've been told since it was my first pregnancie that might have been y i had a miscarriage.but i don't know. when i went for my last appointmment with my ob she told me when i missed my period again to come right in to her office that she wanted to check my progestron levels. I don't know if this had anything to do with my miscarriage or not but i am thinking that she thinks this had something to do with it. so there are alot of things that could have happened
hope this help maybe a little bit.
babegurl2003vf
I just had a miscarrage (miscarriage) myself. I have a 15 mon old son and was really excited about this baby.  I took 3 home test on Sunday all came out positive but very light.  Monday niht I was spotting but I really truly thought the test were wrong and I was just on my period.  I started throwing up Tuesday night and by Thursday was at the doctors.  Sure enouh I lost the baby at 5 1/2 weeks.  I want to try again this month but they say it is too soon.  Any advice.
hi sorry to here about everyone i found out i was pregnant on saturday the 21 janury i was so happy about it and so was my partner ans kids i was 6 weeks when on the wensday the 25 i stared bleeding so i called the doctors who said it sounds as if ur havinf a miscarrage (miscarriage) i cryed i didnt understand i had two halthy chilren already but i dunno if r try again becuaes im scared of it happering again now im just trying to take each step as it cums thanx sarah xxx
Sazzy1983,

on Wed the 25th is when I went to the doctor and had a ultrasound done and there was no heart beat so the doctor told me that in the next week I would have a miscariage but the only thing that has came out is brown stuff very little, does anybody know how long it takes for it to completely flush out?  

I am realy sorry for you just take your time.  I would not get preg very soon let your inside come to a normal.  God bless you.
Hello i suffered a miscarrage (miscarriage) in oct 05  we have been trying for a year and half nearly.
I was so shattered when i had a miscarrage (miscarriage). I couldn't believe it had happened. But when I found out I felt like something wasn't right- but I thought maybe it was because nearly every year end of sept start of oct something bad happens in our family so I started thinking everything may be ok- but no sooner it wasn't. We are still trying but with no prevail. I have a 4 year old. But it would be great to have asibling for her. I didn't relise how many women were in the same postion - my heart goes out to you all.
Hello, my heart goes out to everyone, I am currently pregnant, about 8-9 weeks, I had an ultra sound to determine the date last week, but they could not see anything in the pregnancy sac, and said I could be having miscarrage (miscarriage). I have been strong in the belief that isnt so, I have since had two blood tests to determine my hormone levels.  They have come back high and higher by 1000. again, but no-one has really explained to me anything. Does a miscarrage (miscarriage) take a long process or short. I have another ultra sound tomorrow, if they still don't see anything I am back where I started, has anyone heard of this happening. I wish everyone the very best.Thankyou.
i had a misscarrage st 12 weeks on febuary 1. then had a d&c on the 3rd. one doctor told me to wait three months before trying again, then a nother told me that when can try as soon as we are ready. so i just dont know which one to believe. we want to try again but i just dont want to try to soon and have something like a misscarrage happen again? any thoughts on this?
I am 23 years old. I have been pregnant 4 times and I have 1 child that is 2.  My husband and I have been through an ectopic pregnancy, which ended up rupturing and had to have part of my ovary and tub removed on my right side. 1 year later we found out I was pregnant again and ended up miscarring. about 4 months later we had that feeling that I was pregnant so we took a pregnancy test and it was positive.  As soon as we could get in to the doctor he put me on progestrone suppositories to keep me from miscarring again. and it worked!  The pregnancy went pretty smoothly and we now have a beautiful, smart, and healthy baby boy. So we just recently decided to try one more time so that we could give him a sibling.  Well a few months of trying I started having that feeling again.  I knew that I was pregnant. So we took a preg. test and of course it was post. that was on the 15th of february. on the 19th I started to spot blood and cramp. by the 20th my husband took me to the emergency room because I was cramping so bad I could hardly stand up. While we waited in the room I started having blood clots really bad and they decided to go ahead and do and altrasound. 5 hours later the doctor finally came back in the room to tell us that it wasn't another tubel pregnancy like we were afraid of, but that it was just a deformed yolk sack and that I need to follow up with my doctor so that he could check things out further.  So I still had hope that maybe if I could get in to my doctor that he could put me on some meds and everything would turn out alright.  So we made a doctors appointment for the 25th so that the could do another altrasound and go from there.  Well last night I had the miscarriage. At least I think that I did.  I told the nurse at my doctors office about it and she said that I needed to come in so that they could do a DNC on me.  So that pretty much made me lose any hope that I had that everything might turn out ok.  I don't think I can handle losing another baby.  I feel so depressed and in another world right now.  And I feel bad for my son because he doesn't understand why his mommy is crying.  He says, "Mommy's sick?" and I will tell him yes, and he kisses me and says, "Mommy feel better now!"  It helps, but the pain is still there.  Would if I can't have anymore children?  I thank God everyday for my wonderful son.  I have always wanted a big family and I don't want to deprive my son from having siblings.   What do I do now?  My husband worries about my health and I am afraid if I end up having another tubel or miscarriage that he may not want to try anymore.
i have just found out that my friend has had a miscarriage at 6 weeks and i am tryin to find sum information out so i can understand it better and be there foe her and support her. when this happens what type of medication does the hospital give u and whats it called.
i missed carried a year in a half ago at 12 weeks.And had to get a D&C it was awful i was so scared to get pregnant again but i wanted a baby so we tried and didn't get pregnant for a year in a half. then we got pregnant again and i lost that one three weeks ago  i was 5 weeks and the first baby was 12 weeks. so i'am scared to have another miscarry. has anyone had two misscarrages and got pregnant again right away and had a healty baby.