Maternal & Child Community
Miscarriage - what it is like doing it naturally

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When I was told Thursday that my pregnancy was going end in inevitable miscarriage I wasn't even truly spotting - just a little when I wiped. When I asked the nurse what to expect she said everyone is different. So I was scared and nervous when things started on their own today - and by tonight it was BAD.

I couldn't find information that said what was normal as far as clotting and color of blood, etc. so I called the Dr. because I was nervous it was too much and too red, etc.  So in effort to help someone else who might be going through this unfortunate event - I thought I'd post what MY experience has been like so far. But I DO know everyone is different.

1. Started with minimal bleeding - normal period-like color.
2. Within 12 hours I was passing fist-sized clots and smaller and soaking through pads in less than 30 minutes.
3. The color during this phase was BRIGHT BRIGHT red - not at ALL like period. I was scared I was bleeding out!
4. My Dr. said this should be the worst and that this severeness should subside w/in an hour and if it didn't he wanted me to go to the ER
5. He was right - the bleeding slowed down and wasn't as bright red, but the clotting continues - and that is so uncomfortable and gross.
6. Cramping was REALLY bad before the bad stuff started - now it is more like a bad period-like cramps - tolerable but not fun.
7. I don't know how long all of this will last - but it is gross - and seems really unfair given the emotional side of it all too.

I hope I wasn't too gross - but I was hoping to find something like this earlier tonight.
I am sorry for what you just went through. It is a terrible thing to go through.

I went through a miscarriage at 11 weeks a few years ago and it was almost exactly how you just described it. I started spotting red blood about 2 days before the miscarriage started. I was making supper one night and started having terrible low back pressure. Then a huge gush of blood. All of my kids were right there with me. After 3 hours of heavy heavy bleeding I called the doctor. I was not able to get off the toilet for 3 hours. I called mine uncontainable in a pad because of the large clots so they told me to go to the ER just to be safe. I had a clot that had gotten stuck that seemed to be  causing me to keep bleeding. Once they took care of that my bleeding subsided also and didn't require a d&c. I don't remember any bad cramping with mine. Other than the terrible low back pressure minutes before it started, I don't remember having any pain after that.

I was anemic from blood loss but not too bad. It is amazing how much blood you can lose and still be fine if you are pregnant. I was sure I was bleeding to death. Your body has made so much extra blood for the pregnancy.

I bled for several weeks. Then one day I passed a large clot and then had no more bleeding. I wondered if all the bleeding kept coming from the one clot that was left.

I waited one full cycle then got pregnant again and had a healthy baby boy.
I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through, all I can say is hang in there it will pass. The physical recovery is one thing but the emotional one is another.

I had a natural miscarriage last month at 10 weeks. It started as brown spotting for two weeks, then like you, lots of blood and lots of clots. I didn't have any cramping and it was over within 12 hours, so I thought. I did an u/s and there was retained tissue. I tried some abortion pill (TWICE) for two weeks but there was still tissue. After all of that I had to have a D&C. I was off work for awhile and those aholes (I hope I can say that) were on my case. I retured two weeks ago and only now am I starting to move on. I was sad through out the entire 8 weeks it took to end the pregnancy. I now realize it was our bodies natural way of taking care of something that just wasn't right. It still hurts since it's so hard for me to get pregnant, but I'm hopeful it will happen again and that the outcome will be positive. I'm told it usually turns out ok the next time around.

I do hope you feel better soon but of body and mind. You are in my thoughts...
I am so sad for you.  I have been constantly following your posts and I just knew things would turn out differently.  But it didnt, and thats OK. I know that it is a hard thing to have to go through, but time heals all wounds, believe me, I have been where you are twice...one at 5 months and one a few months ago.  I just wanted to say it does get better with time and you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers like you have been these past agonizing days.     Try to look at it this way, at least you know that you can get pregnant.  It will happen again when God is ready for it to.  In the mean time take care of yourself and just know all of us are here for you if you need to talk/cry/vent/need a pick me up...ect.  Take care.
Amber
you guys are so awesome! Honest I just posted this because I thought someone else might be interested in case they were scared or an information junkie like myself - the fact that you two took the time to post kind words - everyone on here just blows me away - so kind, so faithful and so wonderful. Thank you.
Sorry for your loss.
This posting is definately helping me in deciding on having natural m/c or D&C.  I probably will be scared of the bright red blood, bad cramping and emotion toll of not knowing when will it happen.  D&C maybe a better choice for me.  Thanks for the posting.  It really helps.
First off im so sorry!!!

I had a m/c at 6 weeks naturally. I woke up fed my kids breakfast and then I started having really bad cramps. They got so bad I couldn't even eat and was bent over the couch in tears. I got up and went to the bathroom and was bleeding red blood so I woke my husband up and went to the doctor. They did an ultrasound and found a small empty sac and my cervix was open. I had the really bad pain/cramps for close to 2 hours. I bleed bright blood for 5 days and another 6 days of brown blood/spotting along with off and on cramps. 13 days after the spotting stopped I ovulated and 14 days after that I started a  new cycle (worst period ever). I ended up getting pregnant with my third child that month and now have a 3 month old little girl.
I'm so sorry for what you have gone through! The other poster is right, time will heal. I think I need to say that to myself too.

I went through a m/c last week. I started out bleeding light then the next day got a lot of pain/cramps in my belly, thighs, and lower back. The bleeding got really really heavy. Soaked a pad in about 40 min or so. I was passing clots the size of my fist. It hurt coming out. The pain was just getting really really bad and then the bleeding stopped, but the pain was still there. So I went to the Dr. and we decided that I needed a D&C. the pain was just too much to handle. so I got the D&C 2 days ago. My Dr. said that there was a lot of tissue and stuff still in there. My body was trying to get it out but couldn't. I guess the more my body tried the more my uterus was contracting, but nothing was happing. I don't know if my body would have eventualy gotten rid of everything on it's own. It could have taken a long time. If you get a D&C, make sure you follow all of the instructions the Dr./nurse tell you. Ask them to be specific on what are do's and don'ts after the surgery. I didn't get enough info about what I wasn't supposed to do and now I'm in a lot of pain. I think from lifting my baby when I shouldnt have.
Again I'm so sorry you are going through this! I wish there were some magic words that I could say to make all the pain go away for every woman that has a m/c. I have m/c 5 times now and this one is by far the worst one, but these women here have really helped emotionaly. You know you have support here! I never had any support with any of my m/c. I pray that you have all the support you need to get through this.
I'm so sorry for your loss were you very far on I went through exactly what you are going through I was 12 weeks but I also passed a little baby with arms legs etc that was really traumatic
and possibly a boy im also going to be a mum of 2 girls I'm due to have another girl in 2 weeks I'm really sorry it does get better in time good luck with your next pregnancy take care.
Thank you for posting that as you know the same thing has happened to me and im just waiting on having the natural miscarriage im still only getting blood and brown disharge when i wipe im getting like period pains for the last few days but still nothing im really scared and nervous as to what to expect and when its going to happen,im afraid to go anywhere incase it all starts when im out.
Thanks for the info you have posted.
FYI - this morning is MUCH better - bleeding/clotting is more at a normal level - just mainly cramps are the problem now - but tolerable. I think the worst is over. I know everyone's experience is different - but I would have liked to known that it looks/feels like you are seriously bleeding out for awhile - I couldn't contain the blood - between the regular blood and the HUGE clots - it was just a horrible mess - and felt completely gross. I'm so glad I think the worst is over - and it didn't really take long. I would just say - call your Dr. if you have ANY concerns along the way - and make sure you get a follow-up appt. to make sure everything is clear. I'm still thinking about you - hoping it goes quickly for you too. Make sure you have someone around too - I was lucky it happened Fri. night, so my husband was home for most of it. But when he wasn't - my 1 yr. old wreaked havoc on the living room - I just couldn't deal with running to the bathroom, changing pads, etc. and keeping up with her. Good thing I"m feeling better today - MAJOR toy cleanup, etc. needed today in the living room - ha.

Hang in there, ok?
Im glad the worst is over for youi imagine it would feel gross and yuk for a while hope you feel better today.
My husband should be with me now as he is off work for 1 week so thats not so bad knowing that he will be here for the kids and for a bit of support if i need it.
Ihad been looking up for what to expect but all i could really find was that everyone is different which isnt alot of help at all but you post has prepared me for it ,thank you.
I know several people that had earlier miscarriages (6-7 weeks) and it was just like a normal period with a few more clots than normal. I shared my story above but I was 11 weeks. I think it is true that it is different with everyone and every pregnancy.
Honestley, it is painful, np other way to describe it , i had my m/c in dec 05 naturally, because i was only a few weeks along, and i had to work as well while going through it, it lasted about 6 days. Sorry to hear of your loss, you are in my prayers
I am so sorry you both have to go through this. I am at a lost for words. Please know that God never gives us more than we can bear! You both are in my thoughts.

I had my miscarriage and d&c last saturday. i was 11 weeks.i felt fine even up to the point that i started bleeding at about 1AM friday. i wasnt bleeding that much so the doctor said that unless i was having cramps or passing tissue just to relax and try not to worry. well about 30 mins later the bleeding was getting a little worse and i was cramping and having small clots they told me to go to the er. by the time i got to the er i was cramping bad like bad period cramps and passed a big clot when i got there. they did a vaginal ultrasound and said that the sac was empty. that everything would come out on its own and sent me home. well the next day or later that day last friday i was still lightly bleeding and not feeling too bad. around 7pm i started feeling worse and the bleeding and cramps were getting worse. by 9 i couldn't even eat i hurt so bad. i was having constant bad cramps in my back and stomach and ever 2-3 minutes really sharp contractions that doubled me over in the floor in pain. i went back to the around 1am saturday and the did the v/u again and my uterus was full of blood.i was in horrible pain i kept having contraction and bleeding terrible it was just gushing out. finally i passed the sac in the bathroom. but i was still having horrible pain. not even morphine or toridal(sp) helped. i was given the option of doing it at home with pain meds, having some med. inserted in my rectum to help everything along, or have a d&c...i couldn't handle the pain or the emotional toll this was taking on me any longer so i chose to have the d&c and just get it over with. that was done at about noon saturday. since then i have still been bleeding off and on and the pain comes and goes. sometimes its bad but for the most part if i dont do too much its not to bad. i lost alot of blood and became dehydrated so i'm still very weak and have trouble walking. my stomach feels like someone punched me, but i've seen the dr. she said thats all normal and will go away in time. that i should wait at least 3 months before trying again. the worst part right now is not being able to make love to my partner when all i really want to do is be as close to him as i can right now. for some reason i have this terrible fear of losing him too. even though i know he loves me and is being wonderful to me. i'm just very emotional and insecure right now. i'm sure in time that too will get better. i hope.
hi
i was told 3 days ago my baby had died at 8 weeks. i opted to pass it naturally as i have trouble concieving and did not want to risk further damage.
i spotted dark brown for 2 days. today i woke up in immense pain that came in waves like a contraction i tried everything but could not cope so decided to go to hospital. just before i left approx 3 hrs into the pain i felt a large gush of blood. i went to the toilet and was passing large clots. i felt the urge to push and when i did i felt the baby come out .the pain stopped immediately .i remained at home and am just hoping everything else will follow without a hitch i have not been offered a follow up scan yet but understand it will come.
your words have been a great comfort to me
I'm sorry for you.  It's a tough thing to go through, both physically and emotionally.  It does get better in time.  Just be sure to take care of yourself and take time to grieve. When you are ready, I wish you luck in ttc again.  I m/c last June and was pregnant by mid July again.  He's napping now, 6 months old today.  It'll happen when you're ready.  Take care.
I was told 9 days ago when I went in for my 12 week check up that my baby had likely died around the 9th week.  We had seen the little baby around week 7 and he had a strong little heartbeat, so this news was so terrible.  We had also had a m/c in late January...  I decided to allow this to pass naturally at that time.  The doctor told me that most women experience "discomfort".  Oh my goodness!  Discomfort is not the word!  I could not function today because the pain was too great.  I still have only passed a few large clots, though they have not been as large as most of these women are describing.  I have been bleeding steadily over the last 9 days, some days heavier than others.  I had no idea how painful this would be and am now sorry I didn't immediately opt for the d&c.  I am generally quite the trooper when it comes to pain, so to have had this much pain was really unexpected.  My doctor reassures me that things are progressing just fine; that some women can pass their m/c in hours, others take weeks.  But it scares me a bit because if you consider that today I would be almost to week 14, but they think that the baby died up to 5 weeks ago!  I have had some bleeding, but nothing that seems to be enough to be the baby.  He also assures me that the risk of infection this early is miniscule.  Today I was doubled over in pain and pressure; my stomach and back hurt like no other pain I have ever felt.  My neighbor drove me to the doctor and he did an ultrasound and I had not passed any of the sac or the baby!  However, after the ultrasound I began to bleed again (which I was only spotting this morning) and it relieved enough pressure for me to be able to function again.  Right now, the pain is like a bad period, enough to keep me awake now, but not so bad that I cannot function.  A few questions:
has anyone had this experience?  
I seem to bleed heavily one day and not at all the next- anyone dealt with this?
What seems to be the hold up?  Why have I been carried a baby that died over a month ago?  It just doesn't seem right and I cannot find information!  I should have asked my doctor this morning, but my main mission was to make the pain stop.  I could barely think while I was there.
sorry for your loss
i too was told that i would have some discomfort!!!
i bled very lightly for 3 days and then i woke up in pain it was like labour for me but thankfully only lasted a few hours.
i felt let down by the doctors also if i had known how it would feel to pass naturally i would never have agreed to it
will they not let ou now opt for the d&c?
i really feel for you as i had carried my baby for 3 weeks after it had died and felt i couldnt grieve untill the baby had been passed every time i went to the loo i thought is this it? i am sure you know how that feels
sorry i could not answer your questions but if i was you i would keep pressuring the doctors till they help i feel too many people are just sent home without enough information
xx
Hi all,

i recently suspected i was pregnant, did a home pee test...it was positive -my partner and i went to my doctor of 23 years, he said he would refer me to the local dodgey hospital in my area and said congratulations. when i asked for a blood test he said it wasnt required and that i wouldnt even need a urine test as home pregnancy tests were 99.9% correct. i felt a bit let down, my partner was shocked and appaled. a few days later i went to some shabby clinic where i demanded a blood test (the doctor again tried talking me out of a blood test - no idea why? ) anyway i went back two days later and got my results off another doctor (Who was great gave me all info - tests, what to expect and the referal to the hospital i wanted!!), i knew i was over a month pregnant, however my hcg levels came back at being 56,000!!! usually these levels would mean i was almost full term and ready to give birth!! anyway the doctor said it was normal and hcg levels werent dependable - sometimes could mean problems, smetimes twins - usually nothing tho. i went home estatic and told my partner everything was good. i lov ed being pregnant, i ate like a pig and i could feel small changes in my body - loved it! Anyway a few weeks later, i woke up in the middle of the night and had like a dull but painful deep pain in my lower left abdomen, in the morning it was gone but came back the following 3 nights. Then a few days later i went to the loo and found really dull blood in my undies...i was extremly worried and rushed to the dodgey hospital in my area...i went in and met a pre natal nurse who said it was normal for spotting in pregnancy and went thru the stats etc...even though i didnt know anything i was still worried and started to ball my eyes out....she said it was ok and to come back the next day for an ultra sound....we came back the next day and had the ultra sound where the radilologist said my baby had no heart beat. i felt my world fall apart....anyway he sent me back to the emergency room where their were aprox 20 people sitting down and i had to wait in line with another 10 to see a nurse...so angry at the radiologist for not giving a rats and not pushing me in front of everyone else...heartless bastids...anyway i was still crying and upset and opted to go home as i knew they would probably say come back monday. i went home and didnt sleep that night...anyway the next day i got really really really bad pains in my lower abdomen and bleeding had increased and was passing small clots (aprx 10c peice sizes), my hubby drove me back to the hospital where again their was another line....i waited in line again and when i finally got my turn the pregnant nurse said to take a seat and if it got worse to let her know and shed push me ahead of the line, i sat down with my hubby for 5mins before i needed to pee, as i walked into the toilets i felt 3 big gushes (no pain tho?)...i pulled down my trackies (thank god they were black and i had my shawl)  my pad was no longer white, completely red....my undies were soaked and blood had gone through my pants and was running down my legs. i cleaned up as much as i could and went back to the nurse, she asked if i needed a pad -  i told her i needed clean clothes and a shower. she told me to just stand around for a minute while she got sum1 for me...i got my partner and a minute later this fantastic nurse came out and took me in, she offerd me a normal pad and what i called a human nappy  - i laughed at first and then when i went to change my pad i realised i needed the human nappy :| anyway she asked me to lie down and asked me what had happened etc, i explained it. she asked me to tell her when and if i "gushes" and i explained that i gushed every few mins and had the big gush in the toilets in the emergency room. she put me on a saline drip cos of my blood loss....anyway later on the doctor came in, explained it was all normal bla bla bla and then asked if id had a pap smear - i told her it was too hummiliating so i never had (ive only been sexually active for 3 years so its ok but still WOMEN MUST HAVE PAP SMEARS! CAN SAVE UR LIFE) anyway she said she needed to examine me......so i spread my legs and all i felt was something cold like a poll being pushed in and then it would increase in size, i dont know what it was but it hurt like a *****!! and i screamed out each time she shved it in further and made it bigger, then i could feel her scraping stuff out....never saw it was too busy crying (again) anyway after that she slid it out and then said she had to examine me still, she basically fit her entire hand in!!!!!!!! anyway after a couple of minutes of feeling inside me she said it was all ok and sat down and talked about i dont know what while the nurse gave me shots of insulin via iv.....i ended up having about a good 5 shots of morphine, the pain increased after she proded around and it came in cramps which came every 5-10min...then would fade out. anyway after a bit my nurse (who i loved and adored) had to leave and i got another nurse, then the doctor came back and they sent me home within 30mins of the ordeal and gave me no meds. anyway i went home everything was fine. the next day i got really really bad pains - to the point where i couldnt stand up!! i called the hospital and they put me thru to "nurse on call" i screamed in pain...it lasted abot 4 hours untill i drugged me self up on half a pack of advil panadol and nurofen. went back saw my ultra sound 4.4 mls left...nurse said it will come out naturally and no d&c was required. its been a week. no physical pain still bleeding stil have small clots....i hope this helps who evers reading...i know i sound very cold...but at this point i haveno more tears to cry. (i was 10 weeks pregnant, my babies heart stopped beating at 7 weeks.....)
Hi everyone-
I had an ectopic pregnancy in my right tube about 2 years ago, was given methotrexate and everything went away. Have had pain in my right side ever since. 8/10 (monday) I found out I was preg again, so I called the doc right away as he told me I would have to watch my HCG levels closely to make sure its not ectopic. I got blood tested on thursday, saw him friday. He said I was 4 weeks preg, levels were at 130, no bleeding which was a good sign but lots of cramping. Saturday I started spotting, went to ER, they said my HCG dropped to 40, I was miscarrying. I did not bleed very much at all. Some globs of blood came out when I went to the bathroom for the first couple days, but not alot, thats all. no clots, or bleeding through a pad or anything. The only time blood came out is when I use the bathroom, and it is not alot at all. Not even as heavy as a period. barely spotted for a couple more days, then it stopped. Cramps are still there. Went back to the doc tuesday, he said my levels were going down, I prolly wasnt bleeding alot because I was so early on and not much to come out. I have to get my blood levels checked again and see the doc again on Friday. I am still cramping but no bleeding. I feel like there should at least as much blood as a period, but its just cramping. When I had the ectopic I passed blood and clots so I know the difference and I have had NO clots. does this sound like a normal natural early miscarriage??
I too had a natural miscarriage, I was about 8 weeks and I had been told to expect it after ultrasound and an internal could not find a heart beat from a 2.5mm foetus in a 22mm sac. I avoided the surgical/ medical procedures as I hoped there had been a mistake despite my pregnancy symptons deteriorating. However, a week and a half after the bad news was delievered I began to have very light brown discharge, after 3-4 days of this I began to bleed like a normal period 3- 4 days into this, I was a little heavier over night and then that morning I over flowed my thick sanitary towel within 40 mins, I went to the toilet to change it and a huge sac like red mass at least the size of my fist wooshed out very shocking and nothing like the 'heavy period' I'd been told to expect. I tried to carry on and go to work as I though such a large amount would surely be everything. Big mistake when I stood up out of the car after a 45 min drive blood was running down the back of my legs. Returned home asap and more large things literally flew out of me on the toilet. I sat on the toilet bleeding and passing clots the size of large fat fingers for 60 mins ish. Throughout all of this i felt only a dull achey (achy) sort of cramp sort of period pains. I eventually eased off bleeding but was worn out and light headed, not to mention thinking this was an absolutely horrific experience which I was not prepared for. By that evening i was no longer passing large clots but continued to pass  really bad period like clots up to the size of my little finger. The next day I felt better for the rest passed no more large clots but felt discomfort from more continual cramps, i rested up all day with heavy period like discharge. Its been 5 days now and my heavy bleeding but no more large clots is just starting to ease up. I do think this experience really must vary from person to person, I have a scan tomorrow morning to check everything has been expelled from my womb. ( It felt like my womb heart intestines and lungs came out all at once so I cant imagine there is really much left- fingers crossed anyway-). Further notes I'm told that there is no link between my miscarriage and this as the gestation sac is so well cushioned at this stage but I did suffer a fall onto my back from a racehorse 2 weeks prior to being told this just to allow anyone who cant decide whether to continue to ride or not when pregnant- NB I am also a very competent rider it was just one of those things.
im  5 weeks i think im havingn my first m/c it all started a week ago i spotted a pink discharge..it alarmed me but not too much. 2 days later iwoke up in the morning and head straight to the bathroom i saw blood in my urine with large clots so i imediately went to the ER i got there havin no clue what was goin on they did an ultrasound i was quiet n anxious then they did a pelvic exam and told me about a threatned miscarriage..the doc just  gave me some follow up instructions n sent me home..today july 15 took a shower n wen i steped in the bathtub something bloody that look like a liver passed out i didnt kno wat to think i tought it was my bby so i put it in a ziploc bag. my bleeding started getting lighter wit smaller clots..until now im waiting to go to my follow up appmt..im so sad n scared..i dnt kno if im still pregnant or lost my baby already..i didnt get enough info frm the ER Doctors..plz can someone explain..plz...im writing this bc i cant sleep im so worried..
Sorry for your loss!

I just went through a m/c the same day fhat I found out I was pregnant. I didnt know what was going on but the cramps were terrible. I'm only 23 and I was alone qt the time in my bathroom. Emotionally I'm still a wreck. I cry at things that normally wouldn't upset me and the nightmares are terrible that I am havIng. I wish the pain would go away but it seems like it will last forever. It's been 2 days so far and I still have no desire to eat and walking around hurts. I can't even play with my 16 month old niece because I can't lift her up without doubling over in pain. Reading everyones posts has helped so much. I know that it will get better with time. I just wish time wouldn't seem to go by so slow.
I know this is an old post, but I found it, and I think a lot of people look without posting themselves. I had a miscarriage when my first baby was 7 months old. I was almost 12 weeks pregnant. At least I thought that I was. The baby had been dead for 2 weeks inside me and I didn't know. I had moderate bleeding and with my first I had gone into early labor so I thought that, that was all it was. I went into my doctor and he did an ultrasound and there was no heartbeat. I had heard the baby's heartbeat before. It was so hard to listen to the silence. My doctor told me that the baby had died a couple weeks earlier. Right after my first appointment. Which was very hard considering that at the first appointment, I had the feeling that something wasn't right. I had gotten a positive pregnancy test before the ultrasound machine said that I had even been pregnant. It was so hard to go through. It has been almost 4 years and it still make me cry. But I was able to get pregnant again before my next period and it helped A LOT knowing that I was going to be able to get pregnant again. I had a beautiful baby boy 8 months later and another beautiful baby boy 13 months later than that. And now I am once again pregnant. So I just want all of you mamas to know that there is hope after miscarriage. It is so hard to lose your baby, but eventually the pain will get better and there is no reason that you wouldn't be able to conceive again!! Good luck!!