Maternal & Child Community
Miscarriage, Twins, HCG Levels, CONFUSION!?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi Ladies,
Ok so my question is has anyone every experienced this: I am suppose to nearly 10 weeks 4 days dating from my last period of 03/27/12. I went to have blood work done on 05/14, showing a positive pregnancy. I then made the appointment for my first prenatal visit on 06/04 (which I would then be 1 day short of 10wks) . When I went in, the doctors performed blood work as well as a vaginal ultrasound. When conducting the ultrasound, the tech acted a bit weird and then I was asked to meet with a doctor in a separate room, I was terrified. The doctor explained the development was only about 5.5 weeks along, with no heartbeat visible. Thus he thinks I am miscarrying. He wanted to go ahead and check my HCG levels from that day & have me come back two days following to test again. The first results came back around 89,900 and the second were 85,000 so they had dropped but the doctor explained if the development had stopped at 5.5 weeks he was not sure why the levels would be that high. He is going to do an ultrasound Monday 06/11 to confirm there is no progression. He mentioned it could be possible I was pregnant with twins and had lost one early on, that the other may have continued fine, this causing high levels, and on the ultrasound the one was not viable sac was hiding the other? I am still confused on why the levels would have shown any drop then?  Please let me know if you or anyone you know has experienced anything like this? I will most likely have my answer Monday but would love to hear other who went thru what I am experiencing. Thanks & my heart goes out to anyone who has suffered a miscarriage, its very hard emotionally to cope with.
Hi, am exactly in the same boat. Last period was7th april. I should be about
8weeks as i have a 35day cycle.
Started bleeding yesterday after lower back pain for a few days. Went in for an ultrasound today to be told the embryo is measuring only about 6weeks with no heartbeat detected. However, my cervix is still closed.
I was peeing a lot and felt very pregnant. Now i feel nothing except back pain.
I have been sent home to wait and see. The doctor was not optimistic; the next time i see her is in 2weeks.
Will keep you posted.
I am sorry you are going through this.  Miscarriage is really tough.

The numbers are high, that is true, but the fact they are going down means the 5+-week sized pregnancy is lost.  A viable other embryo that was 10 weeks along would not be hidden by the smaller embryo, it would be very visible in your uterus, with a beating heart.  If you are thinking there is another child somewhere else (an ectopic), it still would be big enough at the 10-week point that the doctor should be able to visualize it by ultrasound.  If you have a third blood draw Monday and find your hCG levels are rising, it would be somewhat suggestive of a second embryo, but really two numbers indicating a drop, at this point (with the first embryo faded a while ago), simply suggest the pregnancy is faded.

One thing that would explain such high hCG numbers is a molar pregnancy or a partial molar.  You might read up on those, so if your doctor brings up the possibility, you are educated on what they are.

I am very sorry, again.  My miscarriages were the saddest events of my life.
yes it definitely is a hard process of waiting around .. itd be better to just get an answer and emotionally be able to start to moving on so you can heal.. mimi112 keep me posted. i go tomorrow ann will let you know my results    
I just passed a mighty clot with a tail just now plus some white stuff that am sure is the placenta/sac.
The pain before that came out brought tears to my eyes. But i feel so much better now.
Will go back to AnE 2moro or my gp to c if they can scheduwle a scan to see that  nothing was
left
I am extremely sorry for your loss, as I know it is HARD to emotionally handle, once its out & you KNOW, it must feel somewhat better? Maybe not… but I hate this waiting and waiting… I go today, so I should find out the outcome, and debating on if they say it IS a miscarriage, if I should chose natural or the pill to help it along. I would like things natural, but like I mentioned the waiting around is more emotionally draining I think.. I will post later once I know to keep you filled in, please let me know if you passed all the tissue natural? Thanks for your support. Knowing others are facing the same issues and being able to talk to someone who understands is nice.
It was a miscarriage :/ doctor said I could wait, take medicine to help it along, or the surgery (although that he did not recommend). I don't want to take medicine only because that 1% chance that you always feel, but I am going to because I want to go ahead and end things now so maybe I can begin to emotionally heal. I go today at 4pm to have cytotech vaginally inserted
Really sorry to hear that. Sorry for your loss. Its almost a week since i started bleeding and physically i feel better but emotionally still coming to terms with it, and looking forward to trying again. Be strong.
I am currently pregnant with twins..according to my lmp im 8 weeks babies are measuring 6wks 5 days, my last u/s there was no heartbeats in either sac, hcg levels are 40,959..just took another test awaiting results to see if viable life..so scared I lost a daughter in January of this year @18 weeks