Maternal & Child Community
Miscarriage- fifth disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Miscarriage- fifth disease

I just found out that I miscarried because I was infected by the Fifth disease virus.  I am a school teacher and around children.  My doctor says there was nothing i could do because I was not immune to it.  However, my question is.. is there something the doctor can do when they find out you are exposed to the fifth disease and you are not immune to prevent a miscarriage?  Want to know that I did everything I could to save my baby.  Feeling guilty right now.
First I am very sorry about your loss.  The baby is very real to you even when you first find out you are pregnant, and I know you are very sad and grieving right now.

But no, if you are exposed there is no treatment or way to prevent infection.  Fifth disease can be associated with early miscarriage, but it could have been totally unrelated.

Early miscarriage is not uncommon unfortunately.  Many times the reason is not known.  

I am so sorry.
It is very slim that miscarriage happens because of Fifth disease, but that is what my doctor said she thinks was most likely the reason for my miscarriage.  I wonder how accurate she is.
No way to know for sure.  Hopefully things will go much better if you choose to become pregnant again.
I got fifth's disease from my 10 year old while 7 months pregnant.  The doctor had me come in for weekly ultrasounds for 10 weeks to check on the heart and kidney's.  She came out just fine.  If they find complications they want to induce labor.  You shouldn't contract it again.  It's like chicken pox's once you get you usually don't get slap face again.  Good Luck!!!
My daughter 5yrs contracted fifths disease two weeks ago. I am five months pregnant. My doctor says I am not amune and wants to re-test my blood in two weeks. he said their is nothing we can do. we just have to wait and see if the baby survives. Everyday I feel the baby is a good day. My sister is pregnant also at this time. She had to be tested to. Her doctor said she was fine, she was amune to the disease. I am glad she is because i would feel awful if her baby dyed because of my child and me. Atleast this way it is only affecting me from my own child. I don't know what to do about this disease and my baby.