Maternal & Child Community
Miscarriage Confusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Miscarriage Confusion

I found out through a home preg test on aug 10th that I was pregnant. This is my 4th pregnancy. On Aug 23rd I began spotting. The next morning when I got up to get ready for work the bleeding was heavier so I went to the ER. The ER doctor said my cervix was closed and my hcg level was 1200. I had an internal ultrasound but nothing was visable. The doctor said he thought I was only 3 to 4 weeks pregnant so it could be normal not to see anything on the ultrasound yet. He said I was still pregnant but he diagnosed it is a threatened miscarriage. This was on Friday so he recommended I see my ob doctor on Monday. By Monday my bleeding was very heavy and I was passing clots and I was having low back pain. My ob doctor said I was probably having a miscarriage and asked me to come back Wed (today) to see if it would progress on its own or if I would have to have a d&c. Yesterday I had very bad cramps and the bleeding got even worse. When I went to the doctor today he told me that my hcg levels from Monday were 2500 and he believes me to be 7 weeks pregnant. My cervix is still closed and he said my uterus was enlarged. He still believes it to be a miscarriage. He did another blood test today to check my hcg levels but I won't get the results back until tomorrow morning. If the hcg levels have increased then he wants to do a d&c tomorrow.  After sitting down with a calander a little bit ago I find it very hard to believe I could be 7 weeks pregnant. My husband and I did not start trying to get pregnant until July 23rd which was only 5 weeks ago. Plus the ob doctor has not even offered to do an ultrasound. I feel like my hcg level should not be increasing if I'm having a miscarriage. I'm terrified of having a d&c done tomorrow. The only proof that I'm having a miscarriage at this point is the bleeding. My sister in law bled the whole time she was pregnant and had a healthy baby. I've also knows women to still have their periods the 1st several months of pregnancy. I just feel that my ob doctor is being very hastey to come to a decison and if I have the d&c tomorrow I'm afraid I will forever ask myself what if I wasn't having a miscarriage and I let this doctor terminate my pregnancy? I live in a very small town w/only one ob clinic so it's not very likely for me to get a 2nd opinon. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or if anyone else has gone through something like this?
Hi!
I am sorry I caught your post so late. In such situations an ultrasound should be done through the vaginal route. If you cannot get a second opinion then demand this of the present one. Also, if blood HCG levels are increasing then probably you have a viable pregnancy or there were twins and you have miscarried. The latter would giver higher HCG levels than expected.
High HCG is also seen in other pregnancy associated conditions like ectopic pregnancy, Downs syndrome in fetus, hydatidiform mole of the uterus (molar pregnancy). High HCG levels in absence of pregnancy could be due to choriocarcinoma of the uterus or ovarian cancer.
So, its very important to get an ultrasound first. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!