Miscarriage and Twins
Can you be pregnant with twins and only miscarry one?  Also, if this is possible can you miscarry one twin before it can be seen on u/s?
It does happen where you lose one twin, it's more common than you would think.  My neighbor had it happen twice, my husband's co-worker had it happen, another friend of mine also.  They all had really early u/s and found 2.  Went back a few weeks later to find only one.  I'm curious as to why you would ask if it was possible to m/c before seeing the twins on u/s though.  I'm sure it is, had my neighbor and the others not seen the u/s till closer to 12 weeks, they never would have known, none of them noticed anything different.  
Yes.  As crritter said, it's fairly common to lose 1 twin and have the other go full term.  I found out at a 6 week ultrasound that I was having twins, but it wasn't until a follow up u/s at 8 weeks that the docs felt comfortable that both babies would do well.  The m/c rate b4 12 weeks is a bit higher with twins, and part of this is due to the 'vanishing twin' syndrome, where one stops growing for unknown reasons.