Maternal & Child Community
Miscarriage and Twins

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Miscarriage and Twins

Can you be pregnant with twins and only miscarry one?  Also, if this is possible can you miscarry one twin before it can be seen on u/s?
It does happen where you lose one twin, it's more common than you would think.  My neighbor had it happen twice, my husband's co-worker had it happen, another friend of mine also.  They all had really early u/s and found 2.  Went back a few weeks later to find only one.  I'm curious as to why you would ask if it was possible to m/c before seeing the twins on u/s though.  I'm sure it is, had my neighbor and the others not seen the u/s till closer to 12 weeks, they never would have known, none of them noticed anything different.  
Yes.  As crritter said, it's fairly common to lose 1 twin and have the other go full term.  I found out at a 6 week ultrasound that I was having twins, but it wasn't until a follow up u/s at 8 weeks that the docs felt comfortable that both babies would do well.  The m/c rate b4 12 weeks is a bit higher with twins, and part of this is due to the 'vanishing twin' syndrome, where one stops growing for unknown reasons.