Maternal & Child Community
Miscarriage and still bleeding after 3 weeks!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a miscarriage just over 3 weeks ago. I was 6 weeks pregnant. I bled heavily at the time for two days and then less heavy for 2 more weeks, then I started to bleed very heavily which lasted 3 days. I went to the doctor who did an ultra sound scan of my uterus and was told that the uterus was empty. But still I am bleeding. Not so heavy, but constantly every day. More than just spotting. Is this normal or should I be having a D & C. I am 42 years old.
Its common to bleed up to 6 weeks post miscarriage, If they did an u/s and it showed it was empty I would assume you dont need a d&c, If the bleeding becomes heavy , clotted, or you experience pain I would defintely call the doctor.
You havent done anything you should not have done, like lifted heavy objects, over exert yourself?
I had a d&c last wednesday and hardly bled. I was 10w5d I am not bleeding now at all, I am on guard thinking I could at any moment. but hoping it is done and I am on my way to recovery!
Hi-
Cinnamon is right- there are all sorts of norms. However, I know after my mc I asked my OB how long bleeding was normal and she said "up to 2 weeks" so I don't know if you want to get it checked out or if my doc is just crazy. Either way, I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sure you're fine.
I miscarried in early november.  I bled on off heavy light all the way up till the end of year.  On christmas day I was passing apricot sized clots  (7 weeks later)  docs told me OK  I am 9 weeks pg now
went to dr. today thought I had a uti, nope just irritation from wearing pads:( got the ok to take baths and have sex if I felt the urge, lol! dr said to try and wait 1 cycle b-4 getting pg again but to take my prenatals just in case:):) happy healing to all
Did you ask about the baby aspirin?
I had a M/C at 11.5 weeks and they did a U/S and said that there was nothing left... then after 6 weeks of bleeding, I went to my OB and she sent me for a D&C and whaddya-know--- there WAS pregnancy tissue left behind... good thing I complained-- I understand if it doesn't all come out, not only will you continue bleeding, but you could also get infection.
Get checked out again.
I did, nothing chromosonal...and I was a little bothered. report read: Blighted Ovum(fetal demise and conception remains). just like that, I called the dr on it and said if there was a fetus how was it a blighted ovum????? she could see I was a little upset and said oh it's just medical terminology. but I thought it should have read, missed abortion. at any rate I am feeling fine and starting to debate when will ttc again.
I know nothing about that, but keep me posted. Did you get the pathology results?
Yes, and I got the well....look:) so I guess I can be self pro-active and just take it if I want. But she said with out going through all the thrombosis? blood work which I could but I would have to pay for since, blah-blah-blah. I have not decided yet. I am going to talk to a friends husband who is a wonderful ob/gyn, in a my home town, and ask his opinion. I value his knowledge! and ask about the glucophage. I am under educated as to its purpose, but he has mentioned it to me before. I guess if you have/had pcos, glucophage is the latest thing?
How long after procedure did you and dh baby dance????and did you use condoms for that first month?? sorry to be so blunt:)
Thank you for your comments, I am now 4 weeks post m/c and still bleeding! Sometimes heavy, sometimes light, but it never stops. I think I will take your advise 'happyface' and try for a D&C. I believe the bleeding stops quite soon after this. Did you bleed much after your D&C?
I had a miscarriage and d&c on december 23, 2004 and I know that I bleed for 6 weeks, sometimes heavy sometimes light. It really depends on your own body. I am happy to say that I am now 7 weeks though so keep up your faith and know that everything will be O.K.
Hi everyone, I have just miscarried my first pregnancy. I was 10 weeks along. This was august 22 and I am still bleeding. It seems to be pretty light. I went in for a f/u ultrasound 2 weeks ago and they said that I had some blood pooling at my cervix. I have not had a D&C. today I came home and passed quite a bit clott and have some cramping. I am trying to find out if this is normal??? I had absolutely no warning as to what to expect and when I went through the m/c it was the most horrible 2 days of my life!
I had a miscarraige (miscarriage) 4weeks ago and was bleeding heavy/light off and on I called my doc he chacked me out and I have tissue still,  He is sending me in for a D&C on thursday...so I definitly would get checked out...
i had a miscariage last month bleeding lasted 2 and a half weeks. Now my question is how do calculate the days of bleeding cause I fee i am pregnant now but did not get my period yet. Not sure when is safe to take test.If anyone coud help would be glad