Maternal & Child Community
Miscarriage and subsequent pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Miscarriage and subsequent pregnancy

Hi everyone,
I posted here fervently for a few weeks while I was going through a miscarriage. I chose to let it happen naturally, and I survived. No bleeding for almost a week now, and I thought everything was peachy. Hubby and I even resumed sex. Here's the quandry-Had an US on Friday to make sure that I have passed all products of conception (after the bleeding I'd had, I was SURE I had passed the sac). However, the tech said she saw a sac. I asked her if the Dr could come in to review, and she went to get him. The Dr was too busy (naturally), but the tech came in and told me that I need to see my own Dr, as it is questionable if this is retained products of conception, or a new pregnancy. I would have thought it was a little early, but it is conceivable (if you'll pardon the pun). Plus, after intercourse, I bled substantially. (TMI, I know) The most recent time was only days before the US, so I very much doubt that a sac got to forming that quickly. I am waiting this morning to hear how my levels are (they were still at 10,000 2 weeks ago, but had been dropping about 5,000 a week).
Can I be pregnant again? If it is retained "product" (I hate that term), then how do we proceed? Can I get pregnant while having an old sac in my uterus? Can they take the old sac without harming a new pregnancy? So, you see my dilemma...
I'd love some feedback. Anyone been in similar situation before?

Thanks ladies!
What you'll have to do if they aren't sure, is to follow levels for a while, and have more US if needed.  If this is a new pg, levels will rise and whatever is visible on US will become more distinctive.  How long ago was the FIRST time you had intercourse after the m/c?

If there are retained products, I don't believe you'll be able to get pregnant while they are in there, and would probably need a D&C.
I would think it is very possible to be pg again.  I know after my m/c almost a yr ago I had a lady at work who said she was pg just 2 weeks after a m/c and my dr said that there have been girls who have gone into to have their levels checked after a m/c to make sure they were going down and they were starting to rise again due to a new pg.  I had a D&C and they had left a peice of placenta in there and I cramped and bled like crazy and had to have a second D&C so I would think if there were still anything left in you from your m/c you would have possibly done the same.  I would think it is possible you are pregnant.  I would get it looked at ASAP just in case though.  You do not want to get a serious infection and NOT be able to get pregnant at all.  Good Luck and let us know how it went.
Sorry to hear about your mc.  I know how upsetting it can be I mc at 13 week and after going back and forth to the hospital 3 times in one week I mc at home. And let me tell you when everything comes out you know it.  I did go in for a check the next day and the doctor said I was complete and there was nothing else to do.  However the good new is my pd a very regular and I started exactly 23 days later and 2 pds later I was pg again and now have a beautiful 6 month old.
Thanks guys for your comments.
The first time we had intercourse after the miscarriage was about 2 weeks. However, it was after that time that I really started to bleed.
I am seeing my doc tomorrow, and she sent me for blood work today for hcg, but also requested a urine preg test. Now I'm confused. Don't both test for the same thing? And if my hcg is still up because of retained products, wouldn't it be positive anyway? The US also didn't show pieces of a placenta, it showed an intact placenta. I would love to think I'm pregnant again, but I really don't want to get my hopes up.
I'd also like to avoid a D&C is possible, which is why I went the natural route to begin with.
However, I know that I can get an infection....
Nothing is ever straughtforward, is it?! Thanks for your thoughts and tips, ladies!

Thanks sandee2b-I appreciate your comments. I felt exactly that way-that once everything came out, I knew it. That's why I'm a little surprised that they saw a placenta. I also am very regular, but still haven't had a pd. The miscarriage started July 5, and completed around August 4, but still nothing!
I have a baby at home who will be 1 this weekend, so she certainly puts things into perspective....
Take care, and thanks!