Maternal & Child Community
Miscarriage and what to expect

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Miscarriage and what to expect

I went to the ER yesterday because of severe cramping. They did blood work and I had a us. My hcg levels are barely rising and the fetus only measures at 5 weeks and should be at 7.5 weeks. The heartrate was only 60bpm. They told me I would miscarry which I have been told for the last week. I have accepted this but have opted to wait another 2 weeks for one more scan to be sure. If it doesn't happen natually at that point then the Doc will prob do a D and C. I ask the ER Doc what to expect if I was to miscarry natually. He seems to think I will have some warning of cramping and spotting then it will get heavier with some clots for only a few hours he seems to think everything should be over within 48 hours except alittle spotting. Is this really the case or is he just sugarcoating things and making it sound easier then it is? I really worry about this because my job takes me to places in the middle of no where and I do want to be prepared. Also do most people have a hard time concieving after a miscarriage. My husband and I were shattered when we recieved the news our baby will not make it. Mentally I think the best thing for both of us would be to continue trying to have a baby. SInce this is my first pregnancy Im hoping this is just one of those things and since the doctor hasn't found any reason for this miscarriage I hope we can go on to have 3 or 4  healthy children. I appreciate any advice.
First of all I'm sorry for what you are going through, I can say that I do know exactly how you feel. I also miscarried at 5 weeks and 2 days last october naturally. It was basically just cramping and like a heavy period with clots.I think it was actually harder on me emtionally than physically, as for it was my first pregnancy and we had been trying to conceive for a while. At the time I remember thinking that I would never get pregnant again.The good news is that my period returned to normal after my miscarriage. I had one cycle after my miscarriage and the next cycle, I became pregnant again... wow it was an amazing feeling. I am now 36 weeks pregnant with a little boy.So please, don't worry to much,as I have learned, many women experience a miscarriage and are able to concieve (conceive) again. Hope this helps
I have had two miscarriages naturally at 4 and 5 weeks...first one i was spotting so my mom rushed me to the ER and they did and u/s and found nothing and an internal one then i went to the bathroom after that and well it dropped out this was when i was 14..had a succesful pregnancy at 18 then in nov 2006 i was 5 weeks along and i had a gush of blood when i got up from bed then it stopped went to the ER  and about two days later another gush of blood went to the ER again and they said I had miscarriage because my hcg levels were at 21 already...about two weeks later i must have conceived again because now i'm 32 weeks pregnant....but I never had a d&c for either one i had natural ones they do a d&c just to make sure none of its left behind to cause an infection ....good luck
I'm so sorry for what you're going through!  It's really hard to say how each person's miscarriage will play out.  I had a mc at 6 weeks and it resembled a period for me, lasting slightly longer at 10 days with bleeding/spotting.  I didn't really have any cramping.  I've read others stories and they had a lot of bleeding and cramping.  I think the best advice is to be prepared for ANYTHING!  I was ready to stop being sad so my sis and I took our children to the zoo two days after I started bleeding and I just told myself to be prepared.  I had no idea if the worst of it was over or just about to begin.  I wish you all the best and I hope you and your DH can welcome a baby into your lives very soon!
I am sorry to hear about your possible miscarriage.  I think bleeding for a day or two is sugar coating.  I bled for 8 weeks, and was induced w/the drug Cyotec to get the miscarriage started.  I was 9 weeks, but the fetus had passed at 6 weeks, and my body wasn't doing much about it.

I think you are wise to wait and get another u/s.  Sometimes, these situations turn around.  If the baby doesn't make it, it is best to get the d and c.  It will pr be over much quicker if you go that route.  I was pg again on the fourth cycle after the m/c.  I am currently 28 weeks, and having a boy.  Your fertility is presumed to be best right after the m/c.  Don't be discouraged, God has his own little plan for your family, and you won't be dissapointed.  Take care.
I've had 2 m/c since June 2006.  The first one only grew to about 6 weeks, but I did not know until 12 weeks.  It's what's called a missed miscarriage...died but my body did not expel or show any signs of m/c.  The 2nd was viable at 8 weeks, but by 10 weeks had died.  Had a D&C 1 week later.  Again, no sign of impending m/c.

I think waiting a few weeks for a 2nd u/s is OK, but if you haven't m/c by then, I would consider the D&C.  It will be over quickly and you can move on to trying again.  Otherwise, you may be worrying for a few weeks (or more) about whether you will start miscarrying at an inopportune time.

Some people have an easy time conceiving after m/c, some not.  Sometimes your period does not come right away or is irregular.  In my case, it was 4 months before my period came back after first m/c, I then conceived a few months later (then miscarried again).  I don't think the delayed period was due to D&C.  In any case, if you are young you have a better chance of conceiving again soon with lower risk of m/c.
I had a blighted ovum--carried it for awhile--as my time was coming up for the d&c procedure I had a natural miscariage where I expelled the empty sack--it was very painful but after it expelled I was back to normal only bleed a few days like a period.  Went on to have two beautiful boys.
Everyone is different.
I had a M/C the end of January at 11.5.  It started out as spotting but by the 4 day is was like a normal PD.  I didn't have any cramping, just tender & a few small clots.  AF the next month was really clotty and heavy. We've been tryin again since March, but no BFP yet.  With the last PG we had tried for 6.5 months before it happened.
So God bless & good luck!
I have had 2 m/c the first one was in 2005 I started having cramping and slight bleeding for a day, the next day the bleeding became a little heavier and when I went to the restroom the fetus and sac came out and just dangled there until i caught it with some tp. I was 8 weeks along, I did not need a D&C my body expelled everything naturally. My husband and I started trying to get pregnant about a week later and we did become pregnant a month later we went on to have a healthy baby girl ( she is 2 1/2 now ).
My 2nd m/c was completly different ( which was only 11 days ago ), I was 12 weeks and 4 days when I began bleeding , I went to the ER and they did an ultrasound and the hcg test and said everything was great, the baby was healthy and active and the hcg level was high and on target. I went home on bedrest but went to my DR the next day for another ultrasound he said baby was fine. I told him I had abdominal pain and he told me to take tylenol. I went home and the next morning I woke up with bleeding, went to the bathroom and had a big gush of blood that wouldn't stop, I started feeling faint and only made it to the driveway before I collapsed. DH took me to ER where I went into labor contarctions and all ( very agonizing pain ). I expelled the fetus and started hemorrahging they gave me a blood transfusion rushed me to surgery or a D&C and gave me another blood transfusion. The baby was a boy, we named him Raiden Ford.
DH and I are not sure if we will have another one as my last m/c was so tramatic.
But each of my m/c were very different so just be prepared for anything, no m/c is the same. just like no pregnancy is the same.
I am so sorry for what your going through, I do understand and I wish you and DH the best of luck.
Well. I was told on March 30, my baby did not have a heart beat and that I would most likely miscarry within the next week.  It was not until April 23 that I actually miscarried. The week before April 23rd, I had what I call a "period" with some minor bleeding.  I did not want a D&C, hence my choice on waiting to let it happen naturally.  My experience was rather traumatizing.  At the time, which I did not know what the pains were(which later to find out were contractions). I went for 6 hours, in excrutiating pain from the contractions.  Around midnight, I had the urge that if I don't make it to the bathroom the flood gates were going to open.  Nothing but blood came out. I was relieved. The pain went away and I could finally get some rest.  I awoke about 2 hours later to the same urge only to find out that I had lost a lot of blood already in my sleep, soaked my clothes & my sheets and I also lost more blood once I sat on the toilet.  By no means, was this a walk in the park.  I don't regret opting to let it happen naturally but it really was an exhausting process and a little disturbing.

I am not ready to try again for children.  My Doctor has told me that in no way is your miscarriage going to affect your next pregnancy.  They do not have relation.  Things just happen, as painful as it is to go through. I hope everything goes okay with you.
Hello Luv, you poor thing, i'm so sorry for your pain.  I wanted to share one of my experiences.  I think personally, its a really good idea to wait until there is NO heartbeat before deciding on a D&C and always get a second opinion.  I was living in Vermont, 10 years ago and found out i was pregnant.  I went to the doctor, having a history of miscarriages, they wanted to do an ultrasound.  They told me, at 5 weeks there was no heartbeat.  Not a low heart rate, NO heartbeat.  They also said my HCG levels were really low and not "tripling" like they should be every other day.  They recommended i go to the hospital and have a D&C that day.

I was absolutely driven to let my body handle this.  Instinctively i KNEW i had to let nature take its course.  I went home. The next day i began shopping around for a second opinion.  I saw the monitor, there was no heartbeat, but i just needed to see.  I had two children already and wanted this baby so badly.

I called a place called Burlington Pregnancy Services.  They only do ultrasounds as a way of letting women see their babies as real if they are considering abortion.  I begged them to do an ultrasound for me and explained my situation.  They agreed.

Two days later i was in there office staring at the monitor.  SOMEHOW, there was NOW a heartbeat.  I was strong and regular.  I'm not sure what happened, i saw the absence of heartbeat myself (I'm a medical assistant and I've seen a million ultrasounds), i knew what i was looking at.

My son is now 9 years old, he is high functioning autistic, i'm not sure if this is a result of the lack of heartbeat in early pregnancy, lack of oxygen through circulation (autism is neurological), but i can tell you, while a challenge, he's BRILLIANT!!!  I couldn't be happier that i just let myself wait a bit and see what nature had in store.

I would not tell a woman what to do with her body, only you know what's right for you, but i will say this, i encourage EACH and EVERY woman who is told she will miscarry to get a second opinion.
hi my name is Nikki i went for my first ultra sound yesterday and me thinking i was twelve weeks pregnant the doc said i was far from it and he could only see a 6 week old fetus?? he had to use the 'vaginal wand" and detected a heart beat of 60 bpm he said that was far too low!  he also said he could see a ring around the sack which was abnormal i have had slight bleeding for the last few days with no pain at all i have been told to expect a miscaraige! i just dont know what to think. has anyone else heard of a ring around the sac?
I bled all throughout the first 14 weeks of my pregnancy with my son - and ended up giving birth to him at full term.  It was pretty heavy bleeding too, both me and my Dr were surprised to see him alive and well on all of the ultrascans we ended up having after a heavy bleed.  Im currently 5 weeks pregnant again....and started bleeding this morning.  Im trying to keep positive, and hoping this pregnancy is like the last, and that the bleeding is not the beginning of a miscarriage.  Having read all the posts, I thought my story might offer another perspective for women reading it, as I am, in the hope of finding something that sounds like what your personally going through.  Its a very anxious time, but I guess in the end, what will be, will be.  Its hard having no control over the matter and just being told to wait and see - especially when it is something you have beem longing for, and started to get excited about.  All the very best to anyone going through a miscarriage or threatening miscarriage - what doesnt kill us, only makes us stronger.  :)
tmy name is tammy im 30 yrs old i had three misscarriages three years ago i felt like a sword went into my heart and i was depressed i couldnt stop crying at those times but i got better then i found out that my sister is pregant i was jealous and sheilsh but i was very uncomfrontable about that i started having flashbacks i started my depression again i had to get treatment for it and the dr is gonna run some test to find out why i having misscarriage so much i hope the dr can fix the problems. Well that is all i have say