Maternal & Child Community
Misdiagnosed Miscarriage - Clevelandlady and Claire

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Does anyone know where Clevelandlady and Claire are?  They were misdiagnosed as having a blighted ovum/miscarriage, but waited things out and ended up with happy pregnancies.  They decided not to have a D&C and ended up having their babies!  There is a wonderful web-site that is collecting cases of misdiagnosis to help other women who are in the midst of their diagnosis.  If you Clevelandlady or Claire are reading this, maybe you would want to post your story?  If there is anyone else reading this, maybe you had the same thing happen?  Maybe you are in the midst of being diagnosed with a blighted ovum or miscarriage, the stories will encourage you.  

http://home.earthlink.net/~misdiagnosed/

We need to get the word out there to help other women.  It is such a tormenting time to be told that there is a dead baby inside of you.  It is best to wait things out just incase there is a misdiagnosis.  I wish you all a happy and safe pregnancy!
Thank you Lovinmom,I'll be sure and write down my experience with this pregnancy.I wanted to thank you for the baby center thread about Blighted ovums and the many cases of misdiagnosis that go on.That thread,and this forum were the only things that kept me going during that almost 2 week wait till i saw the heartbeat.My ob/gyn that delivered my 3 children retired,and i had to find a new one.That "new" DR. was the one that diagnosed the blighted ovum during a VERY early u/s to date the pregnancy.I had protested,saying that my previous DR. never gave a u/s before 8 weeks.The "new" DR. said that was her standard procedure.I'm very glad i went to get a second opinion,as i still felt pregnant.My advice to anyone receiving news they didn't expect ,is to get a second opinion from another DR.You can have a "tilted" uterus,or ovulated really late in your cycle[as i did],which can make your dates off.
Thankyou for this I shall be making a mental note of this in future, it sounds very serious that so many women are being put through this! I hate to think how many women have gone ahead with a D&C and still been pregnant :( It breaks my heart!!!
hi do you mean me??  i was diagnosed as having possible blighted ovum with this pregnancy after previously losing 3 babies, the second preg also being blighted ovum, my 6 week scan showed a slightly bigger sac than the sonographer expected she could not see the baby but she did see a yolk sac. the lady we saw afterwards told us most likely blighted ovum!
i left in tears and came here for consolation, we had a re scan the following week, so i read up on blighted ovum and got more & more confident as the week went by, apparently if a yolk sac is seen it cannot be blighted ovum!
to mine and dhs joy our babies heartbeat was seen a week later, I am now 19 1/2 weeks preg!  with a very healthy and active baby! i think hospitals are too quick to make judgements if measurements dont follow text books etc.
lovin mum how r u? nice to hear from you...
claire
P.S.  Snagglepuss, do you remember where you read that if there is a yolk sac that it cannot be a true blighted ovum?  I remember reading that myself but cannot find the link.  If you know where you had seen that yourself, I would love to get the reference.  Thanks a heap!  Happy Baby to you all!!!
Yeah Gals!  I found you!  Yes!  Snagglepuss!  I remembered your name as Claire but couldn't remember your screen name.  Yes to you too Cleveland Lady!  We are trying to collect cases of misdiagnosis and post them at one sight.  Your stories got deleted off of here.  We want to put all the success cases on one sight so that women can go there to be encouraged.  There are already seven other success stories there.  I am so glad that all is well with your pregnancies.  I am still waiting over here.  I am forty now so I feel that my time is running short.  I have many friends who have had successful pregnancies in their forties so that gives me hope.  Its just that my energy is not the same.  I have a 2 1/2 yr. old so I am pretty much on the go.  We will see if things are meant to happen.  If you could post your stories at the above sight, that would be wonderful.  I know that it would help to encourage women!  Take Care!  It is wonderful to hear from you!
jeepers, i'm not sure if i can remember, i'll do some research though, am full of a cold and feeling pretty **** at the moment, hope the baby isn't suffering too much.
lovinmum, i wish you all the success in the world, you deserve so much to be a mum again and i think it will happen for you soon!!

***tons and tons of baby dust to you***

claire
i found it, it isn't the longest piece of info, but it really helped me

http://www.amersham-health.com/medcyclopaedia/volume%20IV%202BLIGHTED%20OVUM.asp

i will wonder for the rest of my life if my second pregnancy was blighted ovum or not, as after the 2nd scan at 8 weeks, bearing in mind the baby may only have been around 5/6 weeks, they said it was blighted ovum, no blood tests were given to see if my hcg levels were rising, i had a d&c the next day, i wish i had waited it out, i had no bleeding or pain, i had some sickness, things may have been progressing well, but the hospitals opinion was no...its bad. to anyone in this situation i would strongly urge you to wait it out, if nature takes its course then at least you know it was not meant to be, otherwise you could end up like me and so many others. thinking what if? for the rest of your life.
hmm... first site add may have been slightly wrong try this one

http://www.amersham-health.com/medcyclopaedia/Volume%20IV%202/BLIGHTED%20OVUM.asp

I went and posted my story about this pregnancy on the msn site,under octoberlibramom.Thank you so much,not only for the link,but for your kind,informative words way back when i first posted, right after my first DR. visit.I was a wreck,and you especially helped so much.And,like the poster said above,TONS and TONS of baby dust your way~ Thank you so much,again,
               Laura
Thank you so much Snagglepuss and Cleveland Lady.  I just love your names.  They are so cute.  Thanks for the baby dust.  I have been having one of those weeks.  Maybe the dust will make things more exciting.  I wish you two a wonderful rest of your pregnancy and a SMOOTH & QUICK labor!  (-:  Prayers and Hugs to you!!!
Cleveland Lady,

I wanted to thank you so much for your post on the sight.  I know that it will help many women.  

Claire,

I know you are not feeling well with the morning sickness, but when you get a chance, could you post your story too?  I know that your story will help a lot of women also.  Especially since a lot of women are diagnosed around the time you were and end up having a D&C.  If they just wait a little bit more, they might see their baby like you did and will continue to see.  

Thank you Gals!  You are a blessing and a light!  Hugs!  Please let me know that you got this message by a post.  If not, I am going to post above so that you know I put out another post for you.
Hi, I had put these at another post but that closed !!! so repeating them here : PLEASE HELP
--------------------------------------------------------------
Posted this on 09/16/04

I had my first pregnancy end in a miscarriage in the 10th week when my OBG did an u/s and didn't see a heartbeat. He said that the fetus stopped growing after the 7th week or so. I had a d&c the week after the u/s when the blood tests confirmed that the HCG levels decreased and another u/s showed a shrinked sac.
Well, all this happened in Dec 2003. I am 7w4d pregnant again based on an LMP of 25th July 2004. Last week, on 7th Sept when I was 6w2d, I noticed a slight brown spotting on the tissue after wiping and immediately called my OBG, who then called me in for an u/s the next day. The u/s showed a ges sac, nothing else !!! Also had an HCG quant blood test that day and a repeat after 48 hrs...the readings increased from 30,000 to 44,000. My doc said that at that high level, they are not expected to double. He scheduled a follow up u/s for today, i.e. 16th Sept. In the past one week I noticed the light brown discharge once again that was preceded by a period like cramp for a minute or two. I also noticed a slight yellow thick discharge yesterday. This again was preceded by a period like pain. The u/s today again showed him ONLY the ges sac and nothing else...although once in a while he could see a small white spot somewhere in the center of the sac...the sac seemed very symmetrical. I have all pg symptoms -increased appetite, frequent urination, nausea sometimes, fatigue, sore nipples. The doc wanted to perform a D&C tomorrow but my husband and I decided to get another u/s done at a better place (a hospital or a diagnostic center) on Tuesday of next week (21st Sept). Also we'll have some HCG tests done to see if the counts are decreasing.
The posts here have given me a little hope and I think it will be a wise decision to wait for some more days before getting the D&C done.

Here's how my HCG levels have changed over time :

On 09/08 - 30,000 (when I was 6w2d)
On 09/10 - 44,000 (when I was 6w4d)
On 09/16 - 82,500 (when I was 7w3d)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Posted on 09/23/04:

Yesterday on 09/22 when I was 8w2d as per LMP of 07/25, I went to another OBG who ordered for a formal ultrasound at his facility. Even there they couldn't see anything but an empty gestational sac. He said that it has to be a blighted ovum case since at this high an HCG level, they should have seen more (atleast a yolk sac and fetal pole). He is now 100% sure that I have miscarried and left it to us to decide whether I want D&C or natural m/c. I still have some hope as I still feel very pregnant and my nausea has become a little worse the last few days. All other pg symptoms are still there too !!! I had another blood test done yesterday to see how the HCG levels have changed since 09/16 and will get the results of that today. If they have reduced, then I will go in for a D&C, else I will have a repeat u/s next week.

Is it true that at HCG levels so high (greater than 80,000), we should ALWAYS see a yolk sac ???

Please advise what I should do. I don't want to have a d&c if I still have some chances that the baby might be alive !!!
This is the other web-site:

http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/1311584/thread/1423524
Wannabemom,

Go to this web-site and read about hcg levels.  It says that around 8-10 weeks the levels will not go up much and then will slowly go down until delivery.

http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/1483/hcg.html

Also, go to the misdiagnosed sight above and read the FAQ section.  It has some info about hcg levels also.  If there is a problem with your progesterone, you can get supplements until the placenta takes over (about 14 wks).
Claire,

I was just thinking about you.  Do you think you could post your success story on our web-site?  A lot of women that I am coming across that are diagnosed with blighted ovums, are around the number where you were when you were diagnosed.  I know that it would greatly encourage them.  I know that you are very, very, pregnant.  I don't think it should take you much time.  

Thank you again Clevelandlady for posting your story.  

I hope that you gals get this message.  If you could let me know you did, that would be great.  I tried to put a quesion at the top, but the sight is full.  

I wish you gals the best!
P.S.  Claire,  if you are just not feeling up to posting your story, may I paste and copy your story?  I know that is would help women.  

Hugs to you all!
Thanks lovinmom. I understand that the baby might now show up in the u/s because of so many reasons but atleast the YOLK SAC should be visible by now..right ? And specially at this high a HCG level ? I had another HCG blood test done on 09/22 and the readings are 82,965 (I was 8w2d as per LMP of 07/25)..so the readings have increased a little since the last test but not as much as they should have :-(
My doctor has asked me to go in for a repeat vaginal u/s next week on 09/30. Although I am mentally prepared now, I still hope for a miracle !!!
Depending on the woman and her uterus, a yolk sac will not always show up right away.  The yolk sac will at times show up as early as 5 wks, but that is not always the norm.  You are still very early.  If your conception date is off or your fertilized egg implanted late, that can really change things as far as wks go.  Doctors use the usual 14 days conception with their dating charts and often don't use the exact conception date because no one really ever knows it.  I would go to the links above and write the women about the hormonal levels.  They are very knowledable about that.  I know that the things I have read say to not always get alarmed when numbers increase but not whole lot.  As long as the numbers are not dropping significantly, it is not as much of a concern. Please let me know how it goes.  I am praying for miracles for you!  Hang in there and don't let the doctor freak you out.  Sometimes they are good at that.  Also, read the encouraging stories on the misdiagnosed web-site.  On one, the baby didn't show until 13 wks.  On the other web-site, the baby didn't show until 11 wks.  Sometimes it takes a while.  Sometimes a woman has a heart shaped uterus or a tilted one.  In some cases, this is not known until a "C" section is performed and the uterus is viewed.  Sometimes a fetus does not like sound waves from the u/s and will move away from it.  The list goes on and on.  I wish you the best!
Wannabemom,

I just got your message.  I have been out of town.  You are wise to wait things out rather than rushing into a D&C.  Even though you may be miscarring, a natural miscarriage is so much better on your body than a D&C.  I would highly recommend going to the sight above to get additional information.  Also, for more interaction with moms who are very knowledgable in this subject, also go to this other web-site.  

I have a friend who was having brown blood and clots at 9 weeks.  She ended up having her baby fine.  There is still a chance that the baby is hiding and not showing on the u/s.  Everyone woman's body and baby is different.  Some women may have a tilted uterus and not even know it.  That could cause the baby not to show until later.  There are so many factors.  The mhz of the u/s machine.  I know it is so tormenting to wait things out.  Your body will be happy if you avoid a D&C.  It is very hard on it.  I wish you the best.  I hope that you get this message.  Please write back so I know you got it.  Prayers to you!
I was hoping to have the utmost perfect ultrasound today and surely part of it was fine and reassuring and then came a lot of questions.  

Middle of August I had a positive pregnancy test and then the end of August I had some bleeding and cramps but not too crazy bleeding.  I went for an ultrasound in August and there was no sign of a pregnancy.  So we were told to follow up in a couple weeks.  Changes in my body were taking place and I definitely felt pregnant but on the 13th of September we went for another u/s and there was nothing.  So the doctors said it was either a false test or I miscarried when I was bleeding.  So we followed up with our family doctor and a few days later I started going for blood tests.  The first HCG level was 40 then two days later it was 197 and then 4 days later it was 2837.  On October 1st we went for our prenatal and everything seemed to be fine.  I was a little worried because I had some brown spotting on my tissue but the doctor said all was good and that there was just a little pocket of old blood that was coming down especially during bowel movements.  That cleared up with a little tinge here and there nothing alarming and the pregnancy seems to be going normal to me anyways.  I have pain in my lower left side occasionally but that seems to be a mystery.  Today is the 21st of October and we went for our u/s.  We saw a little baby and there was a quick shot of a heartbeat.  My uterus looks really weirdly shaped and the measurements were off.  The doctor asked if I had any spotting and I of course haven't and he said well today the baby is there and the heart is beating today anyway.  So that worried me immediately.  The baby measure at 8 weeks and the sac measure at about 9 so he said that was very unusual and he said I would have to wait and see what happens.  I was told awhile ago by my family doctor that I have a tilted uterus but does any of the mixed measurements relate to that.  Do we have somethng to be worried about?

If anyone has any insight at all I would love to hear it.  
Thx ;0)

Thx ;0)
Hi There,

For some reason I just found this post today.  I hope that you get it.  Oh yes!  A tilted uterus definetely has something to do with getting unusual u/s readings.  Have you gone to the

and read some of the stories?  You may find them very encouraging.  There is some really good resources also in the "Research" section and info about tilted uterus.  You can even post or e-mail bonzobean mom who has a tilted uterus and is pretty familiar with it.  Also, go to this web site.  Look at the various u/s pictures.  You will see that no two u/s pictures are the same.  Also, the mhz of the machine can affect the clarity.  

http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/weekbyweek/ultrasounds/firsttrimester.html

I hope that this pregnancy goes well.  I know how worrisome it can be.  I guess just preparation for parenthood (-:  Keep us posted here or on the misdiagnosed web-site.  If you could post your story there after you see how things go, that would be great.  Success stories encourage women who are going through a diagnosis.  That is the purpose of the sight.  To have stories in one central location where women can go to them to get encouragement..  Take care!
P.S.  A pain on the side can be progesterone being released to sustain the pregnancy.  I always get it with my pregnancies.  That is what my midwife told it was.

Also,  I have a friend who had brown spotting and clots.  Her baby ended up being fine.  I read on some of these postings that sometimes it can be old blood from the previous period?  Also, I have read that in the first trimester women get a slight implantation bleeding as the placenta attaches to the uterus wall.  It is very common and normal.
I just recently got told I was having a miscarriage.  But I only bled for a day, and when they did the pelvic exam they said everything looked normal, and that my cervix was closed.  So she said I didnt have a miscarriage but she believes that my egg rejected the sperm and pushed away causing it not to develop into a baby.  And now that I am bleeding, they said it's pretty much a miscarriage but not considered a miscarriage because it did'nt get a chance to form into a baby.  It's crazy, but I also had negative results on both urine and blood tests which does'nt make any sense at all.  I didnt even ask them what it said for the hcg levels.  But I only bled for a day, and stopped.  I believe you are suppost to bleed longer than that for a miscarriage and not only that I am still having the same pregnancy symptoms as I was having before.  I am still having nausea, back pain, headaches, I look about 4-5 mths pregnant and fell it to. I felt the same way with both of my sons.  And I believe you are suppost to lose all pregnancy symptoms after a miscarriage, and I haven't yet.  I'm still pissing constantly, and when I was told I wa having a miscarriage, my blood was coming straight from my vagina like a period, but I only bled when peeing and dripped on and off inbeteen.  It wasnt anything like a period like they said it was going to be.  It's really wierd.  I still feel like I am pregnant.  What do you think.  I really would like some info from everyone, please!!!

I am seven weeks pregnant.  at six weeks I went to have a sono and
the tech said my uterus was elevated.  she also said I had a empty
sack and should think on a dnc!  THE SONO CHICK NOT EVEN MY DR.
But my dr wanted me to get a sono a week and I just felt like NO...I am
trusting GOD and will have another one at 9 weeks.  I allready have three
girls ages 7,4 and 2.  I was not going to drag them through all this.
Will they be able to tell for sure at 9 weeks if my sack is really empty?
I am nerveous...yet really do have peace and know that GOD is still on
the throne. I just feel that I am suppose to wait on the Lord....
emms