Maternal & Child Community
Miss Jazmine Marie is Here!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Miss Jazmine Marie is Here!

Jazmine was born at 1.18am on June 18th weighing in at 7lbs 3 oz, and 20.5 " long!  Her apgars were about 9 and she is perfect.  The doctor came and examined her yesterday and didnt find any problems with her.  She eats ok about half the times and the other times she wont latch on or falls asleep during the feedings - hopefully the lactation consultant can give us some tips on this.  Ohhh yeah, she get the hiccups during EACH feeding!  I think we are allowed to go home on Friday, yay!  Jazmine hardly ever cries and seems to be easliy soothed which is great.  She doesnt have a lot of hair.  I'll post some pictures soon.

Birthing story:
Pitocin was started at 7am on June 17th and I dilated from 0 cm to a 3cm by 2.30 which is when the doctor broke my water.  At 5.00 ish I was checked for dilation - I was having contractions every 1.5 mins that were lasting 1 min each but had  no pain w/ them at all - I was  STILL dilated to 3cm at this point!  Well, after I was checked for dilation all hell broke lose (I think because a lot more of the waters were released).  About 10 mins later I started to feel the contractions, maybe a 1-2 on the pain scale.  By 6.00 I was more at a 5-6 pain level (with contractions still lasting a min and coming on every 1.5 mins!) I was checked for dilation and was only a 3 cm!  Well the fact I hadnt dilated any further was VERY discouraging considering the pain I was in and I hadnt progressed any.  At 6.30 I was at 3-4cm and decided to have stadol to take the edge off the pain.  Well!  It didnt do ANYTHING for the pain at all and made me really dizzy, tired, spaced-out which just made things worse because it meant I couldnt do anything but lie in bed w/ my eyes closed while I was still very aware of the pain.  Around 7 ish I  asked for the epidural which was something I had wanted to go without!  The anesthesiologist probably got it in around 8pm (it was an absolute piece of cake) but the medicine which was supposed to take 40 mins to work didnt give me full relief until 9.30!  It turns out that I was 8cm dilated just before 8pm (basically I dilated 5 cm in 1.5 h) which explained a lot and why it took awhile for the epidural to "catch up".  Once the epidural kicked in all was good and I had NO pain whatsoever HOWEVER my BP was very low and kept setting off the alarm.  I heard the nurses commenting about how I was admitted because I had HIGH blood pressure  during the pregnancy (although it was pretty normal during the last few weeks) and now it was very LOW (it was NORMAL up until that point during the labor but dropped significantly after the epidural despite the fact they kept upping my fluids).  Anyway, by 10 pm I was 10cm dilated but the epidural had worked so well that I had no idea I was even having a contraction because I couldnt feel any pressure whatsoever.  Well without feeling pressure, it can make it hard to push so they wanted to wait a little longer to see if things changed as she naturally dropped down into the birth canal.  By 12 am, I still couldnt feel a thing so the nurse decided to have me start pushing anyway.  It was really hard because since I couldnt feel anything so had no idea if I was actually pushing below my waist  - I knew my upper abs were working but nothing below that.  At 12.45 the doctor arrived pushing continued and the head was really low but I wasnt able to make any progress.  They attributed that to the fact I couldnt feel any pressure at all and by this point I was tired, dizzy and had very low BP so the doctor decided to use the vacuum extractor and then forceps to get her out which required a 2nd degree episiotomy.  And thats how Ms Jazmine came into the world at 1.18 am, June 18th!