Maternal & Child Community
Missed miscarriage??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Missed miscarriage??

Hello, I found out I was pregnant on June 12th, I had taken two tests and they were both positive. I took a third the next day and it was very noticeably positive again, and showed up almost instantly. I went into the pregnancy network that day and got it confirmed with another test, then scheduled with the hospital assosiated physicians for woman to have my first appointment. That was the next day, and the test came back positive again. I got a blood test to read my HCG levels to see how far I was, and it came back about 5 weeks. So I scheduled for an ultrasound on the 21st. The technician was not helpful, she would not show me my baby and would say "I'm not sure exactly, your going to have to consult your doctor" when I asked if that picture on the monitor was my baby. When I went into the room after, a different nurse with an intern came in and told me I had a missed miscarriage. The technician couldn't see a heartbeat even though she spent no time in checking the stomach scan for the fetus, and went straight to an internal. The nurse said my uterus read 9 weeks, and the baby was 8w 4d. She told me I had two options, go in for a D&C the next day, or wait for next week for a 'closure' scan to show me my baby really was not viable. I was devastated and wasn't really thinking into it, and decided to talk to my fiance about it and decide. After thinking about it, and doing some research I decided not to do a D&C and go for a second opinion, so I went to a different hospital yesterday to the ER and the doctor told me getting an ultrasound right then wouldn't show much, and to get one in 7-10 days. He prescribed me pain meds in case I do miscarry before the appointment with an actual OBGYN, which I am making on monday. Is it possible the people at the first hospital were wrong to jump straight to the conclusion my baby wasn't viable, and that there might be some hope my baby is alive? I am still having the same symptoms as before, scabbing, cravings, peeing intensely in the morning? I have had no cramping or bleeding at all.
You found out you were pregant on Jun 12, but drs said 9 weeks? Were you not trying and didnt realize you had missed a period?
Im asking cause it might help me answer this question for you.
Well I have PCOS, I got diagnosed with it in April, and my last period was Feb 15th. I had originally went in to see if I was pregnant then, but blood test came back neg. That was the first time my cycle had been more then 45ish days. I had just started my first round of BC and a prescription called metformin to help with my PCOS, then started to have a few signs of pregnancy after my first month of BC was over. So really I had no idea how far I could be, the nurse just said uterus was 9 weeks and baby was 8w 4d.
Did they do a internal ultra sound? Or one on ur stomach? That early they have 2 be done inside.
She did the stomach u/s first, didn't seem to take more then 30 seconds on that one before she switched to the internal. The lady was very unhelpful and didn't say anything about the yolk sack, gestational sack, or even baby, so I am left completely in the dark with just the minimal information the nurse gave me.
I have an appointment tomorrow with an OBGYN to hopefully see what's going on. Praying for some answers and good news! Still no signs of miscarriage, pregnancy symptoms are still here, just more worried about my little bean then anything else
Not the news we were hoping for, but we now feel much better having seen an OB. I have PCOS, and what happened was an old egg had been fertilized, which in turn caused an abnormal chromosome count. The first place I went did not know what they were talking about, and need to re-think their expertise in pregnancies. As said before they told me my baby was 8w 4d, well my OB showed me how there was absolutely no fetus. It hadn't even formed and the tissue that was to form into an embryo was clearly seen on the u/s in different areas. And the gestational sack was about 7 weeks, so there was no way I was 9 weeks along. This is called High Tech Mold, and is actually common in woman with PCOS.