Maternal & Child Community
Molar pregnacy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Molar pregnacy?

i found out a week ago when I went for a scan that my baby's heart beat had stopped. I was 13 weeks to the day. The doctor listened to my baby's heartbeat at 10 weeks and 2 days and everything was fine. After the scan I was told that my baby had only grown to 10 weeks and approx 2 days.
In the scan report they stated that the placenta was unusually large and it was a possible molar pregnacy. My HCG levels that day were 159,000. Is this very high considering the baby's heart had stopped a few weeks earlier?
I have since had a D & C and I now have to wait another 6 days until I see the specialist. It is killling me. I have never heard of a molar pregnancy until now, and I feel like no-one is telling me anything. Would the doctors know by looking at the placenta if it is a molar pregnacy?
My HCG levels have dropped to 20 000 but this is now a month since the heart stopped? Is this a bad sign?
Its hard enough to deal with the baby dying without all this confusion being added to it.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't know a ton about molar pregnancies however, my doc. told me after my miscarriage to wait 3 months because after a miscarriage you have an increased risk of a molar pregnancy so of course I asked.  He said it can be a complete mole where it's basically just a group of cells rather than a baby at all and it mimicks a pregnancy and can be cancerous.  Or it can be a partial mole where two sperm fertilized the same egg however, in either case, from what I researched, you do not see a heartbeat.  You do have high HCG levels and have a large uterus.  If indeed it is a molar pregnancy, they will test your hcg weekly until they are back down and then monthly for like 6 months and then every other month until a year has passed and you are not allowed to get pregnant for at least a year.  Molar pregnancies are very serious. My doc. told me they are fairly rare but are very serious as can be cancerous and are not taken lightly.  I hope for your sake that it's not a molar but if it is, it sounds like your doc. is taking good care of you. Best of luck.
Thanks for your reply.
This is where I am confused. There was a heartbeat at 10 weeks and 2 days. I guess it must have stopped about then also. The baby had formed properly. I just hope my HCG levels go down.
The one positive in all this is I am only 27 I guess. At least I have time to wait. (even though we really dont want to)
Does anyone know what causes them to resort to chemo? One doctor mentioned chemo and then nothing more was said. No-one really wants to tell me too much until I go back next week I think.
I don't know about the chemo thing I'm guessing that they will test everything they took during the D&C and see what they find.  Try to stay calm (I know, easier said than done) until they give you answers.  They may not be telling you anything because they may not know anything until they get the report back. If it was cancer, they may have to do chemo.but I'm guessing that would depend on the severity of the cancer and if it was all removed during the D&C or not.  I know you don't want to wait a year but you don't want to go through this again either.  It was very hard for us to wait the 3 months but we stuck it out because I know the doc. wouldn't say that for just any old reason as it's more money in his pocket if I got pregnant again sooner.  They fact that the baby formed properly and that you had a heartbeat is contradictory of a molar but maybe they saw something else that convinced them.  Here are a couple websites that I just found on molar pregnancy you might want to check out.  Good luck and please keep us posted on what you find out.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/molarpregnancy.html

http://www.webmd.com/baby/tc/molar-pregnancy-topic-overview

http://www.obgyn.net/women/women.asp?page=/women/articles/molarpreg_dah
Thank you so much x