Maternal & Child Community
Month old and suppositories

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Month old and suppositories

My month old dd's Pediatrician put her on suppositories.  She went about 4 days without having a BM and was straining the whole time.  Anyways I used one tonight around 1 am and it's now 2 am and her gas seems to be relived alot, she passed a lot of gas (no BM), but did it with alot more ease then before.  Anyways I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with using these on your baby and what your thoughts where.  I don't want her to get dependent on them, but it is a good feeling to see her pass the gas much easier.  I guess I'll have to wait and see how she does tomorrow, and if she has a BM in the night.  I hope this is a answer though we are both getting really frustrated to not find a more comfortable way for her to sleep, her eating and sleeping have greatly decreased in the last two weeks due to all the pushing at all hours day and night.  So I am hoping that we can both relax a little and she can be more comfortable.
By the way she is bottle feed, and I am on the best formula I guess, from what he said.  And I have changed bottles and it's not seeming to do much so we are guessing that she is somewhat constipated.  
Isn't your baby on Alementum? It is like Nutramigen...hypo allergenic and pratially broken down proteins.....I'm surprized she is constipated if she is....that usually takes care of it....I'm assuming the supposotories are gylcerin? If so I dont think there is a danger...One of my friends had problems with both her kids and they have been on muralax (sp) for a long time..if your baby is not on the above mentioned formulas I would try them....
I know exactley what you are going though. My son is now 7 years old but when he was about a month hold he had to be put on suppositories.  Make sure you are holding it in long enough cause your baby should do more than pass gas. My son could not digest the iron in enfamil so he was put on Nutramigen formula (its made by enfamil)  it worked WONDERS! Maybe ask your dr about this. Shortly after about a week on being on the nutramigen I never used a suppositorie again
my dd's pediatrition put her on suposatories at about 1-2 months, she didnt have a BM for 6 days (breastfeed) i have reservations about this, the doctor said give them to her every 3 days if she didnt have a BM, well i ended up giving them to her for 6 months, she got very dependent on them, i wish the doctor would have choosen another route because now i read that its dangerous to leave them on the suposatories for that long, if i would have know this then i would have got a second opinion on it, she didnt poop on her own until about 8 months, and as soon as she did i stoped, she would still go days without a BM after this, but i just let nature take its course, hope your son/daughter (sorry i cant remember which :) only has them for a little while
I know when I stopped BF my son got very constipated on the formula--I had to use suppositories--usually made him go with in a half hour--make sure they stay in to do the work.  Also I used dary Caro syrup for him--I think it was either a teaspoon or a tablespoon per bottle everytime--that got him to stay regular.  If I missed a bottle he would get all stopped up.  We kept that up until he was switched to whole milk at 1 yr old.  I hope this helps.
Yeah she is on the Similac
maybe this is a formula/breast milk thing (mine's breastfed) but she's gone 7 days without pooping.. twice.. doc said it was normal and only to worry if she went more than 14 days without pooping. apparently the record at our hospital is 19 days!
Ask the doctor again about the suppositories--for When Trent had this problem we used the whole one (child size)  It doesn't all melt--but seemed to work right away for him.  And, yes the peditrician said to put the syrup in.   Worked well for Trent and now that he is 2 /12/ goes very regularly on the toilet.  So I believe by making him go like we did it helped his system know.
Yeah i have the gas drops, but they don't really do much, she is passing the gas, just seems like a lot of work for her to get the tiniest farts out.  It just breaks my heart that she is hurting so much, I have tired pumping her legs and everything, the problem is excelled at times because she won't burp after her bottle, I try to do it like every half oz to oz.  But still can't work one up, I have tried every position also, over the shoulder, knee, suspending her by holding under her arms, bouncing her on my knee, tipping her forward, but they just won't come out and when I lay her back a little to give her more bottle, then she grunts like she has a burp right there that just won't come out.  

How old was your baby when you started to used the syrup, I'll get some at walmart  today it's sweet stuff right.  She is only a month old is that safe at this age.  Just curious.  Thanks again
sorry i got distracted on my last comment...i see now she is 1 month...consistency of toothpaste isn't bad...usually on the alermentum it is very watery so i'm surprized...it will get better as she gets older....4 days seems long between bm's to me but dr's don't seem to think so ..if she is not hurting i wouldn't worry but if she is having pain like you describe then yes i too hate to see them in pain....the gas drops help and the karo is an older method that some dr's dont like due to botolism scare...mine recommends grape or apple juice but then they tend to spit that up at such a young age...too acidy for many so.....i don't see karo as a problem...i have researched it and the scare has not been documented as happening but a concern that it could....i would not use off brand or imported brands though...good luck... it will get better..i dont think the gylcerin is habit forming
I used the Karo early on with my first, then it quit working after a while so I ended up on the Nutarmigen. One thing I do remember is that the dark syrup is better than the light in getting a result. I think it was 1 or 2 teaspoons per bottle, every time....that plus the alermentum should help things along...hopefully if you get the constipation under control the gas will get better....the only other thing i can think of would be soy...my ds is 4 months on the 15th and he is weened from the nutramigen to soy....it takes a few months to get their stomachs "working right" then they get better with the gas burping and pooping...noe of mine burped very well....oh and the other thing their poop will stink cause the alermentum formulas is nasty in smell! and it doesn't taste good either. The Karo will help that but most take it with out a problem. Hope this helps...Ive' had 3 with tummy trouble...2 with reflux so i know it is unnerving...keep us posted.
these problems are quite common in young infants so she isn't abnormal....some breast fed babies have gas problems as well...i used the baby lax with my first baby until his dr. recommended the nutramigan....it is liquid instead of solid so may work better for you. i feel for you but it will get better....how old is your baby? the gas drops helped with the gas problems ...
My baby is on formula and breast milk, and whenever I get a chance to move him to mostly breast milk (this is entirely dependent on how much milk I'm producing) he goes two days without pooping.  I don't know if the breast milk is just all used up in his system or if it has to reboot from him being used to more formula and then all of a sudden his diet balance has shifted.  So whatever you are using (like Karo syrup or whatever) expect there to be a bit of a time delay before anything happens.  The change alone can cause the system to pause.