More questions and no answers - Girly Buff out there....???? Blood Clotting Disorder
Hi everyone, most of you know that I'm getting ready to move so this will probably be my last post (about me anyway - I'll still try and answer others in the next week or so)
So, I went to the dr today at 11weeks....baby looks amazing, heartbeat strong and steady.
Now - here is my dilema. I feel the dr didn't listen to me. I didn't want the sequential first trimester screen done....just because I don't care what it says. This is my baby and well I don't care what my risks are...Dr says...it will just prepare you so she scheduled the appt. She also, added the cystic fibrosis test when I told her not too.
Anyway...moving on....I swallowed that and let her win that battle. Now moving on to my blood clotting problem. I have factor II - prothrombin mutation. She wants me to go on injections of lovenox ( a blood thinner) instead of baby aspirin. I don't want to....but she says you could get a blood clot and die if it goes to your brain or heart....I know that but I don't want to do those injections everyday.
And she mentioned that when we get closer to delivery, she wouldn't let me go to 40 weeks because of this condition and would induce me....I don't want that either....
Someone please if you know anything about blood clotting disorders, did you or the person you know go on the thinner and were they infact induced...
I don't know anything about it but I would like to . I also had a post because my blood work came back that I had elevated protein c. Suposedly that also has somthing to do with blood clots and I have to go to a fetal specialist. I am concerned because I have alot of numbness in my limbs. Good luck and keep us posted.
It would be best for you to do the shots daily.. I know it is hard to do, but this
we be in the nest interest for you and the baby.... The baby asprin is not enough.... sometimes people have to take both the asprin and heparin/lovenox....
I guess I would listen to the Dr. especially if your clotting disorder was found...good luck to you!!!
Not to scare you but my friend who was 14 weeks m/c because they found out after that she had the bloodclotting disorder...she got pregnant again and carried to term b/c of the heparin shots....
I know you are a person of faith. You and many others have been praying for a healthy baby. Maybe your prayers are being answered, but you will need to rely on the expertiese of the Doctors and do what they feel is the best. Sometimes if I am worried about a health issue, I will just pray and let the Lord put it in the hands of the experts and ask Him to be sure the doctors will do what is best. Maybe if you think about and pray about it long and hard this weekend, you will know the right thing to do.
If it were me, I would probably do the shots if it increased the chance of the pregnancy being sucessful. Also, you have your little girl to think about and you want to do all that is humanly possible to be sure you protect yourself so you can be around for her. It is all out of our hands, but we can do the best with the knowledge we are given to make an informed decision.
I am sorry I can't specifically answer your question regarding the disorder and knowing anybody with outcomes, just thought I would offer you my thoughts.
I agree with the part about not scaring you, but you do have to face some facts. Pregnancy is a time that can carry some risk for you, and also for the baby. The tendency to form blood clots is greater in pregnancy anyway, and you may face even greater risks with your disorder. The risk is not only for blood clots in your legs, lungs, or brain...but for blood clots that may affect the survival of the baby. The risk of stillbirth is higher in some women with coagulation disorders, and may be lessened if you are on anticoagulants.
If your doctor is not a high risk perinatologist, you might want to ask for a consult with one, and discuss the pros and cons with him/her. If you can't get a consult, make another appt. with your doctor to talk about the issue until you feel you completely understand the risks of NOT anticoagulating.
Your doctor should not pressure you into doing the CF screen or the genetic screens. They are recommended, but of course are completely your decision to have or not to have. The only thing I can say is that if you know in advance, the hospital team can be better prepared to help your baby should problems arise at birth.
Hi Deanne, don't be worried about being induced. I was induced with my son and it was a DREAM!! I got an epidural and slept most of the day, I felt some pressure and literally 10 minutes later he was here. I think the previous poster was right, God is doing His part so far, you need to listen to the docs as much as possible. Pray about it:) Good luck with your move and I hope all goes well!!!!
Hi! I had 2 miscarriages in the past and the blood tests showed that I have a blood clotting disorder - AT3 defficiency and I'm taking Lovenox shots since the day I found out that I'm pregnant. I'm currently 30 weeks and all is well. Your doctor didn't do a lot of explanations. This condition could be very harmful for the baby. It might cause still birth, late miscarriage, placenta might not develop good enough... the risks are really bad. I read a lot about it. Injections are painless, you just put them in your stomach and you barely feel anything. I do strongly advice you to think more about the Lovenox. Aspirin is not enough! The BCD is a pretty serious condition and although everything might look good at the begginging it might cause a lot of problems at the end.
Oh and I was on baby aspirin also and continued the shots and aspirin 6 weeks post partum.
The danger in the blood clotting can affect both you and the baby. I had clotting in my placenta and I was sent for blood work. A lot of women miscarry before they are diagnosed so consider yourself lucky. I sure did.
Now the problem I have is that I cannot go back on birth control pills because the pills cause clotting and that's extremely dangerous.
I tell you honestly though,... I would rather give myself 50 injections a day than to ever have the morning sickness I had for the first 5 months of the pregnancy. LOL
If you want to email me it's ***@**** (Tara)
Actually, I don't really consider myself lucky because I lost 3 babies last year and that's how they know I have this condition.
BUT - the drs don't believe that is what is causing my miscarriages....I don't know.
I guess I'll suck it up and do it, but I just am scared to death about being induced. My dr said regardless whether or not I decide to do injections...she would want to induce me anyway before 40 weeks...because of risk of still birth and other factors when clotting gets bad towards the end.
And I don't have an option post partum....I NEED the injections.
I'm so scared about being induced....will an epidural be an option even if induced?
This just sucks but I know I have to do it....just wanted others opinions since my high risk dr said no and my ob said yes....they can't even agree on what to do with me.
HI.... I'm sorry you're going through this but it's really not that bad and it WILL be ok.
I did the lovenox injections from 3 months on. I had to have a cerclage put in and I was induced at 38 weeks, only because inducing me would give them more control over my disorder. I had (have) Factor V Thrombophilia.. the inherited kind, the worst kind. If I were to get pregnant again I would have to start the injkections 3 months prior to getting pregnant.
It's really do-able. You will get through it. You get used to the injections and they really aren't that bad at all.
My advice is to ice it up rreally well before you put it in and then do it fast. I had my DH do it for a while and then I decided I wanted to be in control and I did it for the rest of the pregnancy by myself.
Just as a side note, I had a beautiful baby girl at 38 weeks, 6 pounds 7 ounces and she's now 7 months old and 25 pounds and 30 inches.
You're stronger than you think. You can do it!!
Quite right. If your doctors can't agree on this, tell them they need to actually talk with each other about your management plan. They should get on the same page.
You said though, that your high risk doc doesn't think it's necessary? That's pretty interesting, and he should be explaining to you exactly why. Usually, its the other way around, with the perinatologist wanting to be more invasive than the OB doc.
I have had 5 miscarriages due to blood clotting not even knowing until I took one simple blood test. I am currently 18w2d and taking a shot of Fragmin everyday along with baby asprin. My doctor said he will have me stop before the baby is born. Everything is great. My baby is healthy and we're having a boy. So, I would listen to your doctor. I always thought of doing everything natural and what ever happens happens but I came to relize that sometimes we all need a little help even though we don't want it and I am glad I did continue the shots (which I hate) because I see what I get in return in Aug. Good Luck
I don't have any advice about you blood clotting dilema, but as for the inducing part, if you are induced, you can absolutely still have the epidural! I was never induced, I had c-sections, but my SIL has been induced with all 3 of her babies due to their large size, and she has loved that option for her. She got to pick their due date and show up early in the morning where they start the medications in an IV that will start contractions and once the contractions were too strong for her, she asked for the epidural and now she has three healthy babies! Good luck with whatever you decide!
Lovenox cannot hurt and I would combine that with the BA. I have homo MTHFR ( a type of clotting disorder) and took BA from preconception until the end and delivered a healthy baby girl 2 weeks ago. The cystic fibrosis test is one of those like the AIDS test that is usually required. I would not worry about it. Lovenox is to protect you. Not the baby. I cannot cross the placenta and will protect you from having a PE or clots in your arms/legs. As for the 1st trimester screen, that is ok if you chose not to do it, I just enjoyed having another sonogram to see the baby again. Best of luck to you
I have Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, which puts me at high risk for clots, especially while pg. I just took baby asprin, but heparin was mentioned as aback up if I had any problems. I was induced with both of my girls. I had multiple risks though due to tons of previous m/c, and other health problems. I didn't want to be induced either, but I did want to be sure to get a live, healthy baby. It's your decision, but if your Dr. reccomends induction, blood thinners, or medications, you will probably be glad in the end if you listen.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.