Maternal & Child Community
Mosquito Repellent while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Mosquito Repellent while pregnant

Can you use OFF while you are preggo?  Sorry, I have so many stupid questions!  
BTW, I did help DH paint the bathroom last night for about an hour.
Thanks!
Dolly
Ask your OB, while pg with my oldest I was told no DEET, but due to west nile, they have relaxed the use of products with deet in children, so the same may be true with pg women. I use a citronella based repellent myself. Seems the only time I am appealing to those little buggers is when I am pg or nursing!!

Andi
I have got tons of pruning to do since we are getting our house ready for sale and they always bite the **** out of me... I will call the doc.
Let me know what they say,lol. I hate the smell of my citronella stuff (think lemon pledge all over your skin that has to be reapplied all the time!!) It was way worse when I lived in Houston, back up here in the northwest it isn't too bad.

I know that varying strengths exist, in a pack we bought from costco last summer it has a range of some with only 30% and others with 100%.

Andi
Ditto, I was told the same thing about DEET.  There are a lot of different brands and you should be able to find some without DEET that will work alright for you.  

For our show horses we use Skin So Soft from Avon as mosquito repellent.  It works great, and smells nice.

Good luck!
Just called the doctor office and the nurse said it's ok to use so I might use the kind for children, it's better than nothing.
i used kids off skintastic when i was pg, it's safe for kids 6 mths and older, so i figured it couldn't be to harmful.  i also heard that the avon skin so soft oil works and that if you put some sheets of bounce fabric softner in your pockets, they supposedly are repelled by them.
You might just consider using Avon Skin So Soft. It has no toxins in it.
Ask the doc definitely. I would also try to use the mildest you can find that still works, but also, you can minimize the amount you have to use by trying to cover more of your body too. I know summer is here and the heat is getting up there, but I usually try to at least wear pants outside if I'm doing stuff like that where bugs abound, and still wear a T-shirt/tank top with bug spray on the arms. Thats just me though and I'm not as bothered by the heat as some people are.
I have to use DEET because of ticks & mosquitoes around here, it really does work best. When I was pregnant I started using it just on my socks above my sneakers, old shorts, t-shirt & I'd spray it on also on a bandana for my neck or to tie my hair back. I found that worked great & then it wasn't on ME. Then I'd just throw everything in the laundry together when done. (PS any dog people out there, I'd spray a bandana and put it around my dogs neck when we'd be out and I never found a tick on him when I did that)
I love the wipes that OFF! makes. They are individually wrapped so they are quite portable, handy for evening ball games or fishing. Plus it is easy to control where it goes. I believe the ones we have are the 30% or less formula.

Andi
I just used off! And it was on me for an hour before I washed it off.I'm so worried now that something may happen.:/ So scared!Help!