Maternal & Child Community
Motorcycle vs pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Motorcycle vs pregnancy

I am 10 weeks pregnant.  We have a motorcycle and go on regular weekend trips. End of August we are going to Germany for a week with the motorcycle.  Are there any reason why it would be unsafe to do it?  We will only be cruising and will have lots of pitstops. I am a pillion, so will just sit and relax and enjoy all the sightseeing.
Tags: Pregnancy, maternal, Baby, friends
Have you been riding since you've been pregnant?  I wouldn't imagine that it would hurt you as long as you aren't 4 wheeling.  It would be just like riding in a car right???  I have a friend who is about 5 1/2 months and her doctor told her that it was fine for her to go out on the boat and jet skiing.  She obviously just cruises, but sharp turns, etc. but everything has been fine so far!  
The only dangers on the motorcycle I would think would be the danger you put yourself in.  In teh event of an accident you could harm the fetus but you could look at it that way as well with a car.  I don't see why it would hurt anything for any other reason as long as you arent being excessivly rough which I doubt you are. :)
I agree with the other girls. As long as you aren't putting yourself in great danger or being careless, you should probably be ok! :) I know that very quick accelerations (such as on a roller coaster, etc) are harmful because it poses a risk of the placenta detaching, but if you are on a motorcycle I don't think it'd be any worse than being in a car as long as you're using caution!
having grown up on things with wheels (motorcycles, 3 wheeler atv's., ect)  i have seen many accidents that were not because of the cyclist, but other drivers in cars.  if an accident were to happen the outcome could be pretty bad seeing as you have nothing to sheild you.  this is what is scary and dangerous.  i have seen a split kidney, a leg so shattered he lost several inches and had metal rods going throughout his leg to stretch it.  broken arms, road rash so bad you didnt think it was skin.  yes i am tryiing to scare you because i really think its a bad idea.  water skiing and jet skiing i have seen horrific accidents as well, even death on the lake.  im one who takes a side of caution though when im pg.  i give a 9 month break to those things that could be life threatning should an accident occur.  you will have to use your own judgement on this one, but since you asked i say dont do it.
Perty KItty is right!  you should sit at home and wait for a tree to fall on your head!!!  Accidents happen anywhere, anytime, anyhow.  No predicting them.  I lost 2 friends to motorcylcle accidents, but, I have lost 7 friends to car accidents!  If you feel comfortable enough to ride, I say go for it, you cannot live your life in a BUBBLE!  
I have a friend that was going to go on a little bike trip at 12 weeks and her dr told her absolutely not! I wouldn't, but if you must, then talk with your dr about it.
YOU cannot PREVENT accidents unless you live in a bubble!
suprise baby you pick on others they way your profile claims to hate when other do it. sigh.  exactly, you lost 2 friends to motorcycle accidents.  there is a difference and i hope you see it, between living in a bubble and being cautious with your pregnancy.  if you fell and you ended up causing problems or god forbid losing your baby, can you live with your choices when it could have been prevented? if you can say yes, then ride to germany.  tsk tsk tsk funny you feel is a more important issue as to they drive an american car as to taking care of your children.  priorities ,,its all about priorities.
is your dh home yet?
I was told by my doctor that I could drive my motorcycle as long as I was comfortable.  If it became uncomfortable, it was time to stop! (I was driving it though, and being a passenger is a different thing all together!)  (but I would think the same rule applies)  The only danger while being a passenger on a bike is being in an Accident, but, that is true of being in a car as well.
I agree with pertykitty -- no reason to INCREASE risk.  No, you don't need to live in a bubble, but why do something so risky?

Cars have airbags, side beams, ROOFS, SEATBELTS that make them a much safer option.  Yeah, sure, people die in car accidents...but as surprisebaby said -- she has 2 friends that died on motorcycles and 7 in cars -- 3 X the number of the motorcycles -- BUT I guarantee you there are 10 to 20 X (OR MORE) cars on the road -- so really the chance of a car accident SHOULD BE 20 X greater -- not 3 X!!!

But, do what you want...I would not personally.  Good luck!

WONDERME, according to your statistics, it is SAFER to ride on a motorcylce   I know of a lot more car accidents than the 7 accidents where good friends of ours  were actually killed, so your stats are pretty accurate!!!!  As far as the motorcycles go, there were alot more accidents as well, but "most" of them involved someone showing off....I'll bet that whomever is driving the motorcylce with HAMIT on the back will be exercising EXTRA caution.

I am simply stating a fact, that whether you are in a car, motorcycle, transport truck, or an  airplane, there is a RISK , heck there is a RISK everytime you wake up in the morning, get in the bathtub/shower, go up or down the stairs, just plain walk, you could slip and fall and injure yourself or your baby.  NO one can prevent accidents, you can try to eliminate the RISK of them, but unless you are willing to live in a bubble, you won't be able to.

HAMIT,  enjoy your ride!  There is no harm in it, unless your Dr. has told you NOT to.   :)
hamit,  here's the exact same question you posted,  and the answer is apparently that it is dangerous.  

Interesting how similar the questions,  including the word pillion that I've never ever heard of,  even though my husband is a motorcycle rider!

Best wishes.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060609054147AAKeiS6
Surprisebaby -- not looking to get into a debate...but actually my info DOES suggest that motorcycles are more dangerous.  Where I'm wrong is with the number of autos to the number of motorcycles.  There are actually about 50X the number of autos registered as there are motorcycles.

Based on that, you would expect that for the 2 motorcycle fatalities you know that you SHOULD know 100 auto fatalities (50X the # of motorcycles) BUT you only know 7.  This obviously shows that motorcycles are more dangerous -- they're harder to see on the road, there is no protection in an accident.  Sure you can wear a helmet -- but do you have a helmet for the baby?  What protects the mother's abdomen in a crash?

Lastly, you only go on to say what I think everyone else has been saying -- NO, you don't have to live in a bubble -- but you do NOT need to do things that increase the already-present risks of life.  If you look -- that's all I said.

Hamit -- you have gotten a lot of input, and you really should seek the advice of your doctor -- and then you have to decide what is right for you and your baby.  Good luck with whatever you decide!!
hi!! I am 11 weeks pregnant and my dr told me that it is fine to ride in motorcycle. it will not harm my baby, we only need to be extra careful because us we know there are other people who very careless in driving their cars on the road that causes accident.