Maternal & Child Community
Movement at 27 weeks.....OPEN FORUM TOO!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I noticed last nite that my little one wasnt moving much like he normally does.  Not really sure why.  Anyway - he usually moves through the nite too but I didnt feel him last nite.  In fact I havent felt much this morning either.  Which is kinda odd.  Maybe one little poke.  Nothing like he normally is.  I tried drinking milk to see if that would get him going and it didnt help.  That ALWAYS gets him moving!  Can someone help me?  Am I just a worry wart??  Should I call the dr?  What do you ladies think?  I still have to eat breakfast but I did have a couple of crackers.

PLEASE HELP!!  I am going nuts!!
I am a worry wart myself!! I have heard though as the baby gets bigger there is less room to move around so you won't feel it as much.  Did you try lying down after eating a snack or drinking juice?  I have heard this works.  I worry about everything-thanks for answering so many of my questions! I am 18 weeks and for two weeks I was feeling the baby move every day and now sometimes a day will go by and I won't feel anything and I panic.  I am sure everything is OK with you but I would call the doctor if you are worried.  Thanks for your help!

Greta  :)
I just dont know.  I have never NOT felt him.  He moves everyday.  His movements should be more consistent now and that is why it scares me.  I just had some breakfast and that hasnt helped me yet.  I cant really lay down as I am at work.  Usually I dont HAVE to lay down.  Im worried!!
i understand how you feel. i was the same way as my little guy never really moved consistantly. it took a long time for me to feel him regularly and even then it wasn't a lot. i really wouldn't worry because there are a lot of factors that can affect how much the baby moves. maybe he's just tired? haha. but seriously, they say you can't even rely on counting kicks as an accurate way to track your baby's movements because its so inconsistant.

here's some info i read about movement on WebMD:

Fetal movement counting
You've no doubt heard a lot of talk about the value of fetal movement counting in assessing fetal well-being. Unfortunately, it isn't quite as simple as some people would have you believe. Here are the three key problems:
Some pregnant women don't experience fetal movement as consistently as other women (or even as they themselves experience on other occasions), either because the baby's movements aren't consistent or because their perceptions of those movements aren't consistent.

The quality and strength of fetal movements vary as pregnancy progresses and as the relative ratios of amniotic fluid to baby size change.

Studies using ultrasound to observe the movements of fetuses have shown that women typically feel fewer than half of these movements despite the fact that they are consciously trying to feel them and the baby is awake and actively moving.

The third-trimester sleep-wake cycle of the fetus (30 minutes awake and 30 minutes asleep) makes it easy for an expectant mother to miss her baby's active time. If she is working, if she is busy with other children, or if her attention is otherwise diverted during her baby's active period, she may fail to perceive any movement. Likewise, if she does her fetal movement counting when the baby is sleeping, she won't detect any movement.

Despite these limitations, fetal movement counting does have a role to play in prenatal care. If you are concerned that you are not feeling enough fetal movement, you might want to practice fetal movement counting at the start of the day.

Count fetal movements from the time you wake up in the morning until you have experienced 10 movements. Then, record the time at which the 10th movement is felt each day on the chart. This will help you to determine what pattern is normal for your baby and to notice if there is a significant deviation from that pattern
Hi girl, long time! I would drink something filled with sugar like orange juice or any juice for that matter and wait about 10 minutes. Lay down quietly and concentrate. If that doesn't work, try playing loud music near your belly or placing a flashlight on your belly and baby should move away from the light. With this DD, she was far less active than my 1st so I always had to do these "tricks". Also, keep in mind that babies have long sleeps too so don't be alwarmed right away. But, all that said, when in doubt, call your OB and he'll hook you up to the monitors to makes sure all's well with DS. Good luck and keep us posted.
I agree.  Drink some orange juice and see what happens in the next 30 minutes.  If still nothing, then call the doctor.  They might bring you in for a non-stress test or something.
I cant really have any sugar today as I have my glucose test this afternoon.  So maybe this is why he is so quiet..LOL!!  Lack of sugar!  Believe me I would lay down if I could but its kinda hard when I am at work.  Might get some strange looks!! HA HA!!
Honestly, if you're truly worried, then glucose-schmucose.  You can reschedule the test if you need to.
Ok so his bloodwork came back normal so now they are going to send us for a couple more tests.  they want to do an upper GI and small bowel and an ultrasound of his belly.  ITS ABOUT TIME WE DO SOME DIAGNOSTIC TESTING!!!!  Sorry but that is what I felt like saying to the nurse I spoke with.  Anyway - so more tests but atleast these are fairly easy and he should like this cause they will be taking pics of his belly again.  So now more waiting!!!  yay!!  :)
I am about 27 weeks and I was in the hospital last week for the same thing. He just turned out to be sleeping. As soon as they put the monitor on my belly it was like he was angry and just started kicking away. I would call your doc and see what they want you to do.
Yea its just the 1 hour.  My dcotor told me not to have any sweets.  I did have chocolate milk this morning tho.  I assumed it would mess up the test if I had sweets since she said not to.  I cant rem. with my 1st DS what I did.  I think I just ate normal.
I was in the hospital Sunday with the same worries as you.  I am 31 weeks and I didn't feel the baby move for 12 hours.  I tried drinking a soda and juice, then laying on my side and I got no response from him within an hour, which I always do.  I called my doctor just to make sure it was normal, and he sent me for the BioPhysical Profile.  Everything was fine, and he was moving constantly, I just couldn't feel him.  I've never not felt the little guy moving, so I was pretty upset.  Yesterday he was as active as ever, so you're little one may just be having a lazy day.  If you're really that worried about it, call the doctor.  I hope everything is okay.
Don't worry about laying down. I actually feel Sean more when I'm sitting cuz everything is squished together. If you're able, ask your doctor, but I've been experiencing the same thing. Especially on days when I, myself, am exhausted. But just when I'm at the end of my rope, I get a few kicks. But I have noticed that he doesn't kick as hard on some days as others.

On a side note, I have a scar on my stomach from surgery when I was a baby, and for some reason it often feels bruised near this, and when I push on it, there's something hard there. I'm thinking maybe it's Sean's favorite foot rest.
drink some water and put your feet up. i'm about as far along as you, and the baby definitely has active days (kicking every hour) and quiet days (maybe one kick every few hours).
i am 28 weeks and felt the same way-i went to the drs today-he said if u are working a lot-which i do then u wont really notice the movements-also depends on the food u are eating-my baby was def kicking all over when i ate olive garden the otehr night-my dr told me to drink some pepsi with caffinee and i will feel the baby move-dont worry urself too much-when u go to the drs u can ask them-
Thanks so much for all the comments!  he is moving around like crazy now since I went to lunch.  Must have ate something that he liked...LOL!!  I feel better knowing Im not the only one that has this problem!  I just dont want anything to happen to my little guy!!

Good luck to all those ttc!!

BABY DUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steph, if you're going for the 1 hour, it doesn't matter what u eat or drink before so go and have some juice! BTW, that's great that the blood work came back normal.
I am 27 weeks, yesterday my baby didn't move. I have 2 ice cream and drink a glass of pineapple juice and lay down for 2 hours also, I on hair dryer near my belly  but she didn't even one movement! I became sssssssssso worried but at night she starting to kicking.