Maternal & Child Community
Movement at 37 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Movement at 37 weeks

The past week has been really different, unusual, with my cravings changing, my energy level dropping, feeling nauseous and moody to extremes - the other concerning thing is that ds isn't moving as much.

At my hospital, they say go to the ER if there's no movement in 2 hours, but ds has never moved consistently through the day- and usually goes hours upon hours with almost no movement, only to have a little party in the evening or at night. But now he moves less, and I'm a bit freaked out, because our hospital - I'm fed up about this - switched our service to one that's half an hour by taxi away, in a totally different and somewhat less desireable part of the city - so I don't want to go unless I mean it. Renting a dopplar isn't really an option because I live in Mexico. We try listening with a stethoscope, but it's not clear enough to get a heart rate.

How can I be careful but not torment myself?
At this late of pregnancy, your baby is probably running out of room to stretch out.  Do you feel more movements when you lie down?  When I took child birth class, they told me to drink something VERY VERY COLD then your baby will be in "shock" and you should be able to feel your DS!  Try that every few hours and see if that works for you.  I didn't have that problem since my ds was Very active and he moved constantly in my womb...
I posted a ? for you on the bilingual post.
Dolly
my ds wasnt moving enough when i was 35-37 weeks preg and i went for u/s twice a week and at the last one i had my amniotic fluid was low so they took him the next day. he may not have enough room to move and that could cause him to pinch his cord and loose oxygen so if you are worried then i would say go to hte doctors nothing is more important then the healthy of your baby. good luck and keep us posted
many times you are busy through out the day and do not feel movemrnt even when it is there. and at this point in pregnancy you may not feel those outright kicks that you used to because there is no room for the baby except squirming room. what you want to do is have something to eat/drink and lie down on your side. your baby should move 8/10 times in an hour. and you'll be getting much needed rest...god bless
I just read on my babycenter.com updates today that regardless of what I might have heard, the activity level of baby should not decrease as you get further along.

If you've noticed a significant decrease in activity, and it's lasted more than a day or two, then it's time to call the doc.  Hopefully they'll do a non-stress test on baby.
I'm also 37 weeks, almsot 38.  my DS doesnt move as much either.... the closer you get to the birth, he will move less than he did before.  he wont stop moving all together, but decreased movement does not necessarily mean something is wrong.  

the ice water does work.. try that.