Maternal & Child Community
Mucas plug question? How do you know if you lost it

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm 36 weeks and 5 day. Dialated to 2 and 75% effaced.. My question is If you are already effaced and the doctor can feel my baby's head, have i already lost the mucas plug?
Avatar n tn
i am not dilated at all-i am jealous-ha
Avatar n tn
not necessarily, no.  you'll know when you lose it because you'll have this snotty-like mucus on your toilet paper.. sometimes it will have a blood tinge, other times it's whitish/clearish.  im still losing pieces of mine every now and then and the doc checks my baby's head at every weekly appt. (im 3 cm and 90% effaced).  

good luck
If the doctor is actually feeling the baby's head, his fingers are getting into the cervix and this would mean either the mucous plug is gone or is off to one side.  My mucous plug left me a week before the cervix even began to open.
Does it hurt when they start to feel for baby's head and check for effacing and dialation?
it didnt hurt me when they check, well that i remember, but i was already 4 cm and 100% effaced, when the doc would check in his office however it would be uncomfortable, but not extremly painful
Avatar n tn
no more uncomfortable than a regular pelvic exam.