Maternal & Child Community
Multiple Miscarriages AFTER having healthy pregnancies???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm 29 years old have had 3 beautiful healthy children.  However I have recently had 2 miscarriages in a row (both at about 7 weeks).  My doctor offered me testing and I'm still waiting the results but I'm baffled.  How can you have 3 healthy pregnancies and then go on to seemingly not be able to carry a pregnancy at all??  Everyone I ask about multiple miscarriages seems to be childless when they occur... How do you deal with it when you have already been blessed but so desperately want more?  And what could cause this to happen?  Can my hormones just suddenly go out of whack?  I'm not that old yet, am I???  

Thanks for any help,
Katie
I had one healthy pregnancy and then 3 miscarriages...turns out I have a blood clotting disorder and that may have been what caused it.

I recently had a 2nd child and was taking injections of blood thinners the entire time.

I'm wondering if it is age related...that the condition gets more intense the older you get.

My mom has the same condition but carried all 3 of her children to term....never had a miscarriage....but she also started having strokes at an early age....51...none have been proven noticeable damage but...I was just thinking about it recently...because not sure if I want another, how it would effect me having this condition.
Hello! The same thing has happened to me.  I have 2 girls and have gotten remarried to a man with no children.  We have suffered 2 miscarriages in a row, and I know how you feel.  It is terrible and I am sorry for your losses.  I am also going next month to have testing done to see what the problem is.  Like to other person said, my dr thinks I may have a clotting disorder because both of my babies had heart beats and was measuring on schedule and then stopped growing around 10 weeks.  Let me know if you find out anything from your tests.  Good luck.
Kristin
Thank you so much for your comments.  My doctor actually called me from her vacation to let me know the test results - I seem to be totally fine.  We're still doing the CD 21 testing for progesterone, but that's kind of a mute point since she already told me that she will give me the suppositories regarless the next time I get a BFP.  My Mom is positive that my hormones are just out of whack.  Since my losses were early (never detected heartbeats, could hardly find the baby at all) it really could be the case.  But how could this happen now after I've aready been successful with the same man 3 times???  

AF finally showed up on Wednesday - good because I know we can really start trying, and bad because it's really final.  I'm not pregnant.  And I still don't know why.  I should be huge and tired, or at least happily in the second trimester waiting to find out what we're having and arguing about names.  But instead I'm sitting at home, a few pounds heavy for the whole ordeal, but no happy heartbeats or sonograms to speak of.  No happy anticipation.  And to make matter worse I'm scared - I don't want this to happen again.  I'm terrified of it.  But I want a baby more... so we'll try.  

Kristin let me know how your tests go.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Katie
well its an awful thing to loose babies im 37 i have two healthy kids then i had 7 misscarriages dont know why. had tests etc. its just happens sometimes. dont make it any easier tho. its upsetting and leaves you wondering jesus am i ok? or something wrong with me. makes you feel like its your fault but its not. anways im 5months preggie now. so far so good.  dont give up hope see your doctor when you can and keep the faith. i know what its like. best wishes and the best of luck.

i have a beautiful 3 yr old daughter and i am blessed but i recently had to miscarriages 6months apart and both time i was between 5 and 10 wks i am pregnant know just found out and i am so scared to think i will be going through this a third time i hate to sound like im preaching but im giving it over to god and letting him decide if its meant to be or not as bad as it sounds i think that we probably werent ready for the 2nd baby then hopefully everything goes good i am trying not to be excited but i think its just natural that you get excited when you know you are able to produce life... I hope all of you find out what is goin on and i hope that you are blessed with the children you are hoping for!
Update on me -

I'm pregnant!!  At 7w6d we saw a beautiful little heartbeat.  Last week I was able to stop taking the progesterone suppliments and this week I'm twelve weeks and starting to feel that wonderful rolling sensation that comes right before you can feel the actual kicks.  :)  I'm going to my doctor today, but so far everything looks good!!  We still don't have an explanation for the previous miscarriages, but it seems that I can still carry a baby.  We are soooo incredibly happy.  I'm still nervous - I worry over every little cramp I get and my husband insists on my resting every waking moment (lol, literally I've been restricted to the couch in his presence) but so far so good.  I'm so sorry for all of your losses - you're right.  Every one hurts so much.  My husband and I have talked and we are seriously going to weigh how much we want another child after this little one just because emotionally this is so hard on me.  Once I hit the third trimester I'll be soooo relieved!! ;)

Katie
Congrats and best wishes for a healthy and happy pregnancy!
hi,ive just read youre story about the early miscarriges,im in exactly the same boat,your story is just what i was wanting to read,ive had a beautiful daughter in 2005,thyen gone on to have 3 miscarriges in 8 months,all were early no heart beats and ended at 5b weeks,i really feel like ive got low progesterone,just waiting for tests in may!! all my pregnancies are with the same father,so dont know why i couldnt carry them?its driving me crazy and i keep blaming myself and feeling like a faliure!!! i know so many women are going through this but why does nature have to be so cruel?!! hope ur pregnancy goes really well,just hope i can have more,im only 26 and would love at least another two kids!!fingers crossed for all us ladies trying...xx
I'm so incredibly sorry for your losses!  I know that it can hurt so, so much.  I too felt like there was suddenly something wrong with me.  How could I all of a sudden not be able to carry my husband's children??  I wanted to let you know that in my case the progesterone did it's job.  My little girl is now 6 weeks old and doing great.  It was the longest, and emotionally the hardest pregnancy that I've ever been through.  I didn't stop worry about her until she was literally in my arms - but all the worry was worth it.  Personally, the progesterone couldn't hurt.  I would out and out request it the next time you get a positive test.  Best of luck!!
hi,i know exactly what you are goin through. Have you had any joy yet in keepin a pregnancy? i am 27 and have a little boy hows 3,but since feb this yr have suffered 3 miscarriages 1 needing a dnc.The last one only bein a few days ago its so utterly deverstating,i feel useless. Just lookin for some hope
God has little to do with miscarriages or more accurately chooses to do nothing.  As a member of the Catholic Church and spending 20+ years in ministries plus three years straight teaching CCD,  my wife and I have had two miscarriages in a row.  If you are waiting for God to demonstrate love by intervening for your unborn child because of love and service to him, you are waiting for train that will never come.

Take matters into your own hands by finding a pro-life OB/GYN that specializes in fertility issues.  It is your action and chance of nature that will determine the outcome of a healthy happy baby.  Let your love for your child be a reflection of God's love for the child.  

That reflection of God's love will be more potent than the real thing because it will be a supernatural charitable love that is physically and spiritually present as opposed to the absenteeism of a Father who does injustice to a son and daughter by not heeding the prayer that their child grow up happy and healthy.

Best wishes and luck.

ive had one healthy baby and two miscarriages in one year , im devasted because i really want to give my son a brother or sister. I feel as if nobody understands, useless, scared and wanting a baby.. I got a doctors appointment this week whose a specialist i hope he can shed some light. Im 34 so i dont know if my age is gonna be a barrier for me. All we can do is pray, This is so frustrating
I just wanted to update you - it's been so long so I'm sorry for the long delay.  The test results showed that I was techniquely fine but the progesterone was a tad on the low side so my doctor perscribed progesterone suppliments to be taken as soon as I got a BFP.  I don't know if that did it or what but I went on to have a healthy little girl a little more than 8 months later (she was a little early).  We now have our complete family of 4 kiddos, all happy and healthy.  I'm so incredibly grateful that my doctor did not make me wait for a third MC before offering the testing, and that she was proactive with her prescription to be sure I was healthy for my little girl.  

Thanks for sharing your stories as well, it made a dark time feel a little less dark.  ;)
Katie
I wanted to say that I know just how you feel and I am so incredibly sorry for your losses.  I don't think people really can understand exactly how deeply you feel these losses unless they have also had one of their own.  Hopefully your doctor will find something that will help you!!  Best advice - and it's hard to hear, trust me, I know - do your best to love your little baby and not focus souly on the next one that you want so desperately.  I know how hard that is and that it is sooooooo much easier for me to say than for you to even think of doing, but it does help if you can do it.  I had just gotten myself into that mindset right before my last BFP (not that they were related I think) and it really did help me feel so much better.  I just threw myself into my other children and I think they were happier and that relaxed me so much.  

Best of luck with your doctors appointment!!
Katie
I have had three full term pregnancies and each are a blessing. Now within the last six months I have misscarried due to my membranes rupturing at 14weeks. My doctor tells me there is no reason for this to be happening and cannot pinpoint a cause. we want to try again and have faith that God will make it happen in His timing.. Has anyone faced this situation?
Thank you so much for this story. I know it's a few years old now but so helpful. I had a misscarriage in Sep. 2011 at 15 weeks and one now at 6 weeks. I'm 36 and i have two children 11 and 13. I am still with the same man and was really starting to think something is wrong with one of us. We don't know if were gonna try again but want one more so bad. I'm hoping my doctor will test me on some stuff that will make all the difference if we will try again or if i just get my tubes tied. Did u see your regular ob for testing or a specialist and are their any certain test i should be asking for. Again, thank you so much for your post & hope all is well with you!!