Maternal & Child Community
Multiple m/cs - Greater risk for genetic abnormalities in live birth?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Multiple m/cs - Greater risk for genetic abnormalities in live birth?

Hi:

If you've had early recurrent miscarriages, does anyone know if that puts you at greater risk for a live birth with genetic abnormalities?  I know I'm getting ahead of myself being just 6w5d and with 10 m/cs (one DD), but I can't get this out of the back of my mind.

As you may know, my bloodwork and ultrasound look great, but I still can't get all happy about it.  I also can't stop thinking about the dreaded amnio, and if I should even risk it if this preg progresses...

Thanks.  I couldn't find anything online.  I'm also 39 which puts me at higher risk.  The stress is killing me!
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi
I've had 3 misscarriages in the past and now I'm 26 weeks pregnant with my first child. (through progesterone supplements) I was also worried about the risk of that happening aswell but my gyno assured me that there is absolutely no connection what so ever.
Goodluck!!!
Blank
161782_tn?1201221532
Thanks!  That's a relief.  I'm going to ask my RE next week, too.
Blank
161782_tn?1201221532
P.S.  I meant to also say congratulations and good luck to you!
Blank
159354_tn?1286371288
It depends on why you were having the m/c....how far along you were and if they were able to test any of the babies.

Some people have recurrent m/c for many different reasons other than Chromosome problems....My 3 m/c were not related to that but possibly due to a blood clotting disorder that I had.

My OB was able to test the fetal tissue of one of my babies that died in utero and she was a healthy baby girl...no abnormality at all.
Blank
161782_tn?1201221532
Thanks.

After my dd (and a genetically normal preg before that), I had all the m/cs before 7 weeks (3 were chemical and I just got my period a day or two late).  In most, nothing ever grew.  Just an empty sac.  They were able to test just one preg and it was chromosomally messed up.   All my tests came back normal, so we're guessing bad eggs.  The only thing that makes my case odd is the first two normal pregs.  

I am so hoping that this one grows and is healthy!  This is the first time we've seen a heartbeat and everything is the right size.
Blank
161782_tn?1201221532
Hi Ladies:

I asked my RE at Stanford about this today.  She said that with each m/c, you have a .1% increase in having a preg with genetic defects than average.  So even with 9 early m/cs under my belt (1 was ectopic, so I don't know if that counts) I still have less than a 1% increase risk.

Just thought I'd share.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank