Maternal & Child Community
My 2 year old still doesn't talk!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My 2 year old still doesn't talk!!

My son Is 2 today but he still doesn't talk. I know he hears me because he can understand what i'm saying.. but he doesn't talk.. my first child was speaking in sentences by this time!! is this normal?
No it's not normal.    Your son needs to see the Dr.    Does your older child talk for him?
Sometimes kids won't talk if they have someone to do it for them.     Has your child had any ear problems?   Does he just babble and you can't understand him or is he not making any noise?
he babbles a lot. he can say mom and dad. but thats really it!!
What about your older child does he talk for him?   Has he had alot of ear infections?
he has had a few ear infections.. and yes my older son talks for him all the  time..
You need to get your older son to stop talking for him.    My son had repeated ear infections and the fluid in his ears made everything sound different to him.   His speech was delayed because of it.   I would contact another Dr.  
i'm going to, thank you so much for your input.. does your son talk fine now?
some children are delayed talkers and turn out to be completely fine. however, you should investigate it further.

since he is 2, you should gently push him to say simple words. if he wants his cup, repeat cup and see if he will say it.
His speech is much better.  But he is delayed in reading.  The Dr's, teachers and AEA have all said this is due to his chronic ear problems and speech delay.
MY SON DIDN'T TALK UNTIL HE WAS ALMOST 3 , HE WAS LATER AT EVERYTHING THAN MOST OF MY FRIENDS AND FAMILIES BABIES THAT WERE HIS AGE, BUT WE HAD BEEN THROUGH ALOT I WAS IN A REALLY ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP AT THAT TIME AND HAD LEFT MY HUSBAND AND HAD TO BE IN A SHELTER FOR A WHILE UNTIL I MOVED IN WITH MY SISTER AND BROTHER, MY SON WAS ALWAYS AROUND ADULTS, DOCTORS TOLD ME HE WAS FINE JUST TO TRY TO TEACH HIM WORDS AND TO READ TO HIM. I HAD BEEN READING TO MY SON SINCE BEFORE HE WAS BORN, THE AMAZING THING IS THAT WHEN HE DID START TALKING HE SPOKE IN SENTENCES AND HIS VOCABULARY WAS LARGER THAN THE SAME CHILDREN WHO HAD STARTED TALKING BEFORE HIM, HE JUST WASN'T READY TO TALK, NOW HE IS 17 , AND VERY SMART SOMETIMES I TELL HIM THAT STORY AND JOKE WITH HIM THAT I REGRETTED THE DAY HE STARTED TALKING BECAUSE HE NEVER SHUT UP AFTER THAT , WE LAUGH, HE THINKS THAT STORY IS SO COOL. IF THE DOCTORS SAY HE IS FINE THEN GIVE HIM TIME, READ TO HIM, AND BE PATIENT TRY TO FIGURE OUT HIS BABBLING, WHEN HE SEES YOU STRUGGLING TO UNDERSTAND HE MIGHT TRY TO CLARIFY IT FOR YOU, ALSO DON'T BABBLE BACK ALWAYS TALK TO HIM IN CLEAR SENTENCES, REPEAT WITH PATIENCE. GIVE HIM TIME, GOOD LUCK
Have his hearing checked out.  Frequent ear infections or history of ear infections can delay child's speech.  He might also have verbal apraxia.  Look it out on google.  He should have at least 50 words by the age of 2 (most have less but some have more).  If you have more questions, do not hesitate to ask me.  I'm a speech therapist working with children your son's age.
My son is just now starting to talk and he's almost 3 but he was nearly deaf his whole 1st year which contributed to that.  He could hear me but what he was hearing was very muffled, just like trying to hear someone talk underwater.  3 ear surgeries later (all while he was just over 6months old, he's starting to talk but not quite in complete sentences yet.  Get his hearing checked, just because he responds doesn't mean he's hearing the words the same way you are.

Hope that helps.
See a specialist, my best friend is a speech therapist as well and her son is 2 and speaks a ton.  My other friend had this trouble with her 2 year old....he barely spoke and she's seeing a specialist for his delay.  He also had eating issues which could have been an issue with this delay as well.  Good luck and they are young and catch on quickly if given the right help.
My first born was a late talker. He was 2 before he started talking. He's very smart though and tested at reading at five grade levels above his grade level when he was in elementary school.
My youngest is also a late talker. He's almost 4 and is just now saying 4 word sentences. We did get him tested a couple of months ago and they said he was a little behind. They want to test him again and see if he applies for free preschool or next year. Trying to get the speech evaluation has taken a long time because we were going through our insurance. He's had his hearing tested though and it tested fine. I'm not that concerned about my son because like you, I know he's real smart. He understands everything and even knows his ABC's backwards and forewards. I think since he was the baby of the family that we just didn't push him enough in his talking.
I think it's a good idea to go ahead and get him evaluated and see if they think he could benefit from some speech therapy. I wouldn't stress about it too much, though, since he's only two. Each kid's different on how fast they pick up on stuff. Just keep encouraging him to use his words to ask for things, etc. It'll come.
It can be scary when they are further behind, I agree, talk to your Dr.  Our ped is always asking how those things are going, but we are in there alot.  By 2 your little one may still be relying on others, but really should be talking more.  My nephew was not talking, but he had quit babbling and around 2 they began to have his hearing tested, went through lots of things and he turned out to be autistic.  Had they not begun  the process when they did, he would have been further behind.  Not saying that's the case for you, but do mention it to your Dr. that he's not talker yet.  I'm sure he's fine and they can give you some great tips to get him jabberin.
My nephew did not talk much at all at age 2.  My sister contacted her county's birth-to-three program, who evaluated him and then provided speech therapy for him.  He had been hearing everything just fine, he just needed help learning to communicate with speech.  Now, my goodness, that boy will not close his mouth for anything :)
i work as a nanny some children dont talk but do talk to a doc he could come out with words all at once does he talk if your other child is not a round also repete any words he tries to say and show things to him and say the words ask him to try as well do this when your out in car or walks and try to have time just the two of you and i no thats hard  but use easy words like cat dog door book bird moon sun  ball duck and animal names and sounds they make a good game good luck
Charlotterose,

You shouldn't listen to anyone who says that this is not normal.  That's alot of ****.  BOTH my 9-year-old daughter and now my almost 2-year-old son were and are late talkers.  My son understands EVERYTHING you say to him AND follows instructions.  Sometimes, I'll be in the next room talking about what he does to my family members and he'll hear me and go do what I said!!!!  If your son can hear and understand you and follow your instructions, then THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH HIM!!!  When he's ready, he'll talk.....don't panic by listening to other people who don't know what they're talking about in the first place!!!!
By the way, my son DOES say "Carly" for "iCarly" and he says "Da eeee" for "Daddy".  He calls me and my daughter "Da eee", too!  I'm not worried as to when he'll start talking in sentences.  It will come.
I agree totally with you, I'm so sick of people saying there its something wrong with children if there a little behind, some children are just stubborn and will do it in their own time. My daughter is 21 months today and all she says is mum, but she understands everything I say, she understands full instructions and completes them and sometimes hears things that I don't even hear.
my son is 25 months old...still does not talk but when he sees letters he says what they are. He understands everything we say and hears everything.  he'll only drink from a bottle and is a fussy eater.....I  am not worried .  my daughter on the other hand could talk conversations and say the alphabet at 1 and a half.  I know he is just as smart as her...just 1 year behind where she began.  
my 25 month old boy still doesn't talk, well he is my first child, i have been through alot, immigrate from another country living with my hubby in a country town,didn't have friends around and obivously  didn't have kids around , and apart from that i still didn't have my licence till yet, i am trying to make friends but again its sometimes difficult to maintain going in and out all because of my licence.. and now a friend (rather a scare crow)is telling me that something is wrong with him, that he is not socializing and not communicating, he had a bad experience with one of my friends girls, they use to bite him and hurt him and now whenever he sees them or any other kid he is just not comfortable.. what can i do, i am sleepless these days thinking about him all the time, getting mad at him, i feel so helpless.. we took him to a piediatrician and he suggests to involve speech pathologist and child physcologist, thats again scaring me .. i don't know what to do, i have been crying from the last two weeks , please guys help me, i feel like going into depression.
My son will turn two at the end of this month but he will not talk! I'm not to concerned but wonder if this can be a normal thing!? I know every child is diff. My daughter was talking full sentences at this age. He seems to know EVERYTHING we are talking about. He is like a mini person that knows everything your saying but he don't wana speak at all! I have always worked with him,reading,abc,123,ect. The only words he says are-momma,daddy,trucks,ducks,hots,ok,thats,get that,thank you,abcdi,and123. There is a few more but can't make them out. I'm just sick of people saying theres something wrong with him! His grandfather made a comment saying- he needs to talk, learn to use the bathroom,ect. Also said he's not going to be book smart but smart in his own way! Thats really bugs me! He is not even two years old yet and I feel like he deserves a chance before someone makes a comment about it. Can you tell a baby's personality at this age? I know this may sound silly but I really feel alone in this! If anyone has comment please let me know!!
my son is a little over 2 1/2 years old and my son still is not talking. He understands exactly what i say when i ask him to get his bottle or blanket. Even if i tell him " go give sissy her bottle, he'll get up and take the bottle out of my hand go into the other room and give her the bottle its crazy because i just want him to talk. Alot of people say when he is ready to talk he will and you will miss when he didn't talk but i really want him to talk NOW because i'm afraid he will stay like this for a very long time. My niece didn;t talk until she was about 3years old. its just frustrating because he understand and listens when i talk or anyone else talks to him its just him responding back in words. I will keep pushing reading on him and read longer books to see if he catches an interest in wanting to know how to speak until then wish me luck! thanks for reading..Crystal
my son is 2yrs 2month .he doesnt say mumma or papa also.we have consulted doctor also and got all the test done and everything is normal .whenever i try to teach him he just starts throwing tantrums.he understands everything ,he is able to follow verbal commands only if you point out that particular thing.am really tensed what to do?am scared if he will lag behind
I have son he just turn two he is very smart boy on gadget things n stuff but he can understand few things . for etc .. I go he follow me I clean he show me he does aswel all the home stuff he does he is mummy helper because I been thru similar stuff like u been homeless n splitting up with the babys dad .. There is a new guy in my life n my son is two he understand what we say n sometimes he ignore us n do own thing I never notice that but my partner been so close to little boy he notice my son he don't say any other word then mama and nam nam that's it what shell I do I can't sleep I can't eat because my son being like that please some one help me .
Maybe you can help me with something then...my son is 2, and he doesn't really talk but he understands.  What I mean by this is, he can follow 2 string commands, knows what dad and I are asking for or telling him to do, and says mama, and (forgive me everyone) god damn it..........That's it.  He doesn't say da da, or any other words.  Is this something to be concerned about?  My husband is nearly positive he has autism.... but I really think it's because our son is extremely sheltered, and has never been around children his age before, and mom and dad just get him.