Maternal & Child Community
My 20 month old won't eat breakfast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My 20 month old won't eat breakfast

My son will harldy eat anything in the morning, he is 20 months now.  He'd for sure drink about 10 oz of whole milk in the morning but that's about it.  He used to eat oatmeal but he won't anymore.  I offered fruit loops, Cheerios, pancake, bread with jelly, muffins, banana, home made cake, etc., and he is just not interested in eating breakfast.  What should I do.  He does eat well the rest of the day, like lunch, dinner and he will take different snacks.  Any advise?
Don't really have any advice.  Neither of my kids ate much for breakfast.   Dr said as long as they ate throughout the day and were growing we didn't need to worry.  
my son happens to really like breakfast - mini pancakes, waffles, banannas, cereal in milk, yogurt, you name it. the rest of the day is the challenge with him. he is sooo picky when it comes to lunch and dinner and i refuse to let him live on snacks. he also doesn't like sweet/sugary foods either - like dessert, which i guess is a good thing. everyone keeps telling me, he'll eat when he wants to. so as long you offer things, you've done your job. you can't beat yourself up over it. is he drinking his milk at least?
Oh yeah. he loves his milk.  I'd say he still has at least 20oz a day.  He eats good the rest of the day so I guess it balances out.  I am always concern his weigh because he's always been in the 5th percentile...
Hi, Doll.  How are you feeling?  I'd say don't worry about Gavin.  He's just petite like Ariella is.  Everyone keeps telling me that she's "ok" for her age (weight/height wise) but I see other kids her age and she looks much smaller compared to them.  Oh well, she's a healthy kid and that's all that counts, right?  I'd say maybe he's filling up with milk??  Does he drink his milk before breakfast?  I give Ariella her milk first thing she wakes up and wait 30 minutes or so to give her breakfast.  What does he weigh now?  Ariella weighed 24 lbs at her last appt.
He may be on the lower end of the growth chart, but if he is still making gains (even small ones) I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Sounds like he is eating when he is hungry.  My DD has been this way off and on throughout her six years.  Some days she just doesn't want to eat in the morning.  Funny story-we moved last summer and when we moved a big buffet we found several of her cereal bars stuffed behind it!  She would 'hide' them behind there when we were out of the room and tell us she had finished her food.  What a smartie!
my dd is 14 months old and gives me a hard time eating all day esp in the morning.  She was in the 45% in everything except height so the doctor was not worried.  I started to give her pedasure at breakfast.  She loves it and drinks it and she gets her full days worth of nurtrition with it the I focus on food the rest of the day.  She still only has 2 teeth and gums evertthing so it makes it harder to feed.  Baby food she would never eat.  She actually tells me no and seals her lips shut now.  I am at a loss but her doctor said he is not worried it is a faze?  who knows.  Good Luck.  Pedasure may help.  She gained weight since I started about 3 weeks ago.