Maternal & Child Community
My 3 months old doesn't turn her head to the left.....I'm a w...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My 3 months old doesn't turn her head to the left.....I'm a worry wart!!!! PLEASE OPEN FORUM

I have 3months old twins and I noticed that one of them has a problem. she doesn't turn her head to the left she only turns it to the right no matter how I position her she always ends up looking to the right.  Unless I prop her to look to the right than she's okay but I'm still really concern....Have any of you ladies had this problem? I'm really scared that she might stay like that. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
My son had this problem. It sounds like torticollis. Torticollis, or wry neck, is a condition in which the head is tilted toward one side, and the chin is elevated and turned toward the opposite side. It can be serious if it doesn't get better on its own you may have to get a helmet for the baby. I was fortunate my ds got better on his own. Something I did was talk to him on his bad side so he would turn his head that way and stretch the muscles. That is why it happens, one side is just weak. I had a girlfriend whose dd had it and the dr. kept saying there was nothing wrong with her so you might mention this is what you think it is. Hope this helps.
Thank you, I thought I was the only one going through this. That's what we try to do, try to put her to sleep on her bad side prop her to where she is able to use her bad side I just hope that this doesn't take long to fix. If I notice that it doesn't get any better I am going to take her to the doctor.
My son had the same thing! My son got over it through developmental therapy through the local intermediate school district.
They are both going to therapy on the 24th or 27th I can't remember. But I don't know if  I should wait till that day or talk to their Doc?
Cam did that too, same thing as the first poster talked about.  His head was a little asymmetrical, I was freaked out and would switch sides but the only way he would stop crying at night was when I would cradle him in my left arm.  Dr. was not worried, but Cam was mild and the Dr. didn't even notice till I held him up and pointed out the difference.  He had me turn Cam's head to the other side to loosen it up, had me do it every diaper change.  Also, this sounds mean, but he told me to put Cam in his carseat and place him facing the wall with nothing to look at, then talk to him on his bad side so he would really have nothing else to do but turn his head.  I only did it a few times, I felt like a big meanie, but it didn't seem to bother Cam at all.  I would talk to your Dr., but I bet it's something they will work on in physical therapy.  I guess it's pretty common, my first son didn't have any issues, but each one is so different.  Don't stress though.
Both of my kids did that.  Neither of them required therapy.  My ped showed me some exercises to do with them on my own.  They both got better on their own.  As soon as they started holding their heads up good and sitting with some support, the problem seemed to take care of itself.
Thank you to all you ladies. You really all brought me some relieve, I though this problem was not common I guess it is.
My 2 months old is doing the same thing.  I just came back from our well visit and she told me to put something on his right side so it kinda pushes his head to the left.  He also prefers the right side.  You're definitely not alone.
All I have to say is my doctor told me that having torticollis go untreated or without therapy is never a good idea. It is generally caused by injury to the neck muscle during birth and if it is left untreated, the muscle will never stretch and the child will grow up without being able to turn their head the other direction. Therapy worked great for Ashtyn, but he also had a ped and a neurologist following it!! I would wait until the therapists see how bad it is and really there is not much a doc can do for a while. My neice had to wear a neck brace at night to help her torticollis. Also, my advice is to move the baby's crib and play pen and everything to wear they would HAVE to turn the other direction in order to be able to see people and things. It sounds cruel but that is what your therapist is going to tell you. Anything to encourage them to look the other direction is important! Good luck adn keep us posted!
quick question...was Ashtyn's neck stiff?  Were you able to move his head?  DS seems to "prefer" the right side and his neck is not stiff.
My son he doing the same thing he dont want to look left im a little scared because i never had this problem before with my other three he 2 months help