Maternal & Child Community
My DD will not eat!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My DD will not eat!

My DD is 9.5 months old.  She recently learned to stick her tongue out and spit out everything she is eating.  Now, she will not keep anything in her mouth.  Oatmeal and mac and cheese are her favorites.  She even spit them out today.  She would not even eat little pieces of cheese which she loves, too.  She only drinks about 20-24 ounces of formula a day and I am concerned that she is not eating enough.  She doesn't seem hungry.  I think this is just something new that she has learned and hopefully it won't last long.
Ok, so  since we are not eating, Anna was awake twice to eat in the middle of the night.  I tried letting her cry the second time and she cried for about 20 miuntes.  I finally gave in and gave her a bottle.  She sucked down the whole thing in no time and was back asleep.  This morning I tried her cereal and refused again.  She spit every bite out.  She did eat a few dry Cheerios.  She eats better if it is something she can feed herself, but she is still spitting some of that out.  She seems to think it is really funny when she puts her tongue out and all the food come outs.
I feel for you. Brody is 10.5 months old and barely eats any solids. He too, isn't getting a whole lot of formula/breastmilk per day so it worries me also. He will not eat baby food anymore but also spits almost everything out that we give him of table food. It's so frustrating!! He wakes up several times per night also, to nurse or get a bottle. Weaning will be very, very soon though. He bit me HARD yesterday. OUCH!!!
Hey Ladies...it has been many years since my older two were this age and my youngest isn't quite there yet!

Kids eating habits change constantly.  The main thing is that they are growing as they should.  Is your pediatrician happy with their growth?  You can also call the ped. for ideas on how to get them to eat and see if they are at all concerned.

My guess is that it is just a phase and that soon enough they will start eating again...it's just so fun to play with the food!  You may want to try to give an extra feeding during the day to see if you can quell the extra feeding at night...obviously easier said than done.

Again, my guess is that it is just a phase...even my older two go through times when they eat more than others and it often coincides with a growth spurt.  My ped was never concerned since they continue to grow on the same percentiles.

Realize that I didn't really often any suggestions, but rather just support that likely everything is okay, jsut frustrating.  Good luck!