MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
My HCG levels do not match how far along I am pregnant... is that normal?
by kathyzimm, Jun 24, 2006
I had blood tests to check my HCG levels.... according to my period I should be 6 weeks but my levels say that I am only 3-4 weeks. I go for an ultrasound next week but should I be concerned.  I am also type 1 diabetic so i feel constantly worried anyways about the baby's development...
Member Comments (28)
by AnnieBrooke, Jun 24, 2006
The hCG levels range very widely as to what is normal.  I was just looking at one chart that said the range at 4 weeks can be 5 to 500 and the count at 6 weeks could be from 1,000 to 56,000, and I'd bet every chart you can find says something slightly different. The nurse at my clinic said they don't really like to do hCG counts all that much because there is so much variation, and all it does is scare people.  The main thing for judging "normal" or not is whether it rises over 2 days, and how fast it rises, not what the actual number is.
by mrszator, Jun 25, 2006
I had that same problem.  I have been spotting on and off for over a week now, and last week I went to the hospital because I was concerned.  They did blood work to check my HCG levels and according to my dates  I should be 6 weeks, but my levels don't match, according to my levels I am like 3-4 weeks.  I am not sure how that works, but my nurse said it is just a guideline and that the levels have a wide range.
by flower2, Jun 25, 2006
I am 6wks 3days and spotting. Ultrasound was good scan and heart good. But dr says there is some bleeding (mostly brownish on and off) from the pregnancy. He put me on estrogen suppositories. I also have a UTI. I had second Hcg test done today. I was 1860 and 2 days later (today) 1940. The nurse in the ER said it meant I would have a misscarriage and that I should call my OB to schedule a D&C. I have new hope after reading about different Hcg scales.Thanks :)  Liz
by ark730, Jun 26, 2006
Hi everyone I went to dr last week at 5 and a half weeks pregnant and although my values were 44,000 and have a sac there was no yolk sac or heartbeat. Dr said it didnt look good because you should see heartbeat and yolk sac by then. I went back today at 6 wk 6days and there is yolk sac and flicker! I dont know if it will end up viable. Why were values so high with nothing to see?
by ark730, Jun 27, 2006
Thank you or your advice. It made me smile after hearing m/c rate slightly drops once heartbeat is detected. Im scheduled for another u/s on monday, keeping my fingers crossed there is still heartbeat.
by AnnieBrooke, Jun 27, 2006
Because they had a three-martini lunch that day at the lab.  
Just kidding!  But that does seem to be a bit of a clash in data.  There HAVE been several lab errors reported on this site, and also a nurse I know says the levels fluctuate so widely during the pregnancy that it is really hard after a certain point to interpret them.  Seeing the flutter is really great, your odds of a m/c drop somewhat once it is seen.  Try not to stress it too much.  Good luck!  Annie
by flower2, Jun 28, 2006
I had my third Hcg today I am down from 1940 to 1740. Is that an absolute that I will m/c? I am having another Hcg Thursday and another ultrasound too. I have cried so much this past week. I don't think I have any tears left. I am 6wks 6days.
by AnnieBrooke, Jun 28, 2006
I am glad you are having another ultrasound Thursday.  Along with the hCG levels, that will really tell you what is going on.  The only hope I can offer you is that sometimes people start out with more than one embryo, and lose one and the numbers drop in association with that, but the other is going fine.  I'll pray for the best for you.  Annie
by flower2, Jun 28, 2006
thank you annie. I told my dad today and his response was he is so angry he had to see a therapist. And now he is not angry anymore but does not understand why I would want to "saddle myself with another child
'.
oh and he made the point of my age saying this child will be in 1st grade when I am 46. What an ass.