Maternal & Child Community
My HCG levels do not match how far along I am pregnant... is that norma...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My HCG levels do not match how far along I am pregnant... is that normal?

I had blood tests to check my HCG levels.... according to my period I should be 6 weeks but my levels say that I am only 3-4 weeks. I go for an ultrasound next week but should I be concerned.  I am also type 1 diabetic so i feel constantly worried anyways about the baby's development...
The hCG levels range very widely as to what is normal.  I was just looking at one chart that said the range at 4 weeks can be 5 to 500 and the count at 6 weeks could be from 1,000 to 56,000, and I'd bet every chart you can find says something slightly different. The nurse at my clinic said they don't really like to do hCG counts all that much because there is so much variation, and all it does is scare people.  The main thing for judging "normal" or not is whether it rises over 2 days, and how fast it rises, not what the actual number is.
I had that same problem.  I have been spotting on and off for over a week now, and last week I went to the hospital because I was concerned.  They did blood work to check my HCG levels and according to my dates  I should be 6 weeks, but my levels don't match, according to my levels I am like 3-4 weeks.  I am not sure how that works, but my nurse said it is just a guideline and that the levels have a wide range.
I am 6wks 3days and spotting. Ultrasound was good scan and heart good. But dr says there is some bleeding (mostly brownish on and off) from the pregnancy. He put me on estrogen suppositories. I also have a UTI. I had second Hcg test done today. I was 1860 and 2 days later (today) 1940. The nurse in the ER said it meant I would have a misscarriage and that I should call my OB to schedule a D&C. I have new hope after reading about different Hcg scales.Thanks :)  Liz
Hi everyone I went to dr last week at 5 and a half weeks pregnant and although my values were 44,000 and have a sac there was no yolk sac or heartbeat. Dr said it didnt look good because you should see heartbeat and yolk sac by then. I went back today at 6 wk 6days and there is yolk sac and flicker! I dont know if it will end up viable. Why were values so high with nothing to see?
Because they had a three-martini lunch that day at the lab.  
Just kidding!  But that does seem to be a bit of a clash in data.  There HAVE been several lab errors reported on this site, and also a nurse I know says the levels fluctuate so widely during the pregnancy that it is really hard after a certain point to interpret them.  Seeing the flutter is really great, your odds of a m/c drop somewhat once it is seen.  Try not to stress it too much.  Good luck!  Annie
Thank you or your advice. It made me smile after hearing m/c rate slightly drops once heartbeat is detected. Im scheduled for another u/s on monday, keeping my fingers crossed there is still heartbeat.
I had my third Hcg today I am down from 1940 to 1740. Is that an absolute that I will m/c? I am having another Hcg Thursday and another ultrasound too. I have cried so much this past week. I don't think I have any tears left. I am 6wks 6days.
thank you annie. I told my dad today and his response was he is so angry he had to see a therapist. And now he is not angry anymore but does not understand why I would want to "saddle myself with another child
'.
oh and he made the point of my age saying this child will be in 1st grade when I am 46. What an ass.
I am glad you are having another ultrasound Thursday.  Along with the hCG levels, that will really tell you what is going on.  The only hope I can offer you is that sometimes people start out with more than one embryo, and lose one and the numbers drop in association with that, but the other is going fine.  I'll pray for the best for you.  Annie
Dont feel bad Im going to be 42 and this will be my first child if it is viable. My first scan showed no heartbeat or yolk sac and my numbers were high enough that we should have been able to see something. My sac sac is irregular shape and could lead to m/c.
Saw OB today Hcg down for 2nd time to 1120. Heart beat is gone. D&C tommorow. I cried so much the last few days I have no tears left. How soon after can one try again to conceive? Am I nuts.
How far along do you have to be that determines you will need a D&C? I am 6 1/2 weeks and I think that I might be miscarrying?
From what I've read HCG levels can varry by thousands and ten thousands.  The best way to date a pregnancy is by transvaginal ultrasound, at least, that is, after a HCG level rises above 2000.

I actually have a question myself.  I am 5 weeks 4 days and my hcg levels have risen every blood test.  First 133(first day of missed period), then 3803, then today's was 16,965.  So the good news is that my numbers are rising.  My progesterone is high at 77.  What I'm concerned the most about is that the ultrasound today showed a "slightly irregular" gestational sac.  There was a yolk sac visible,  but no heartbeat and no visible fetus yet.  The gestational sac appears heart shaped.  I've bled a little, sporadically.  All together no more than a teaspoon of blood.    The nurse said it was too soon to tell, but I thought I heard skepticism in her voice.  Is there anyone out there who can tell me that their pregnancy started out the same, and can tell me what happened - good or bad?  I have another ultrasound in a week.  

My husband and I have been using Donor IUI plus clomid and HCG injection for 11 cycles now.  On my third IUI attempt I conceived but the baby never had a heart beat and never grew past a five week size.  I never gave up though.  I was offered a D&C and I was also offered a medication to "dissolve" the pregnancy.  I never gave up hope and decided if I was going to lose this baby I would let it happen naturally.  I am pregnant for the second time and I'm terrified.  When we do have a child, and I hope the life inside me will be just that, they will know how much they are wanted and loved.

Please, if you have any words of advice, please write them.

I believe it is 2 weeks too soon to see sac or heartbeat. I do not know about the heart shaped ovum? Liz
hi there, i am supposedly 6 1/2 weeks pregnant and i started bleeding on sunday evening, i had no pains and no clots therefore just thought of it as normal bleeding. its my second pregnancy and i had absolutely no problems whatsoever with my first and hes live, well and kicking (literally) i went to a&e yesterday as i started having period-like pains, the pregnancy test was posotive and the scan showed that i was around 6 1/2 weeks pregnant but nothing in the sac. They did 2 internal examinations and took my blood. Today i got the results (4 hrs late might i add) and the hcg levels dont match the scan (they are higher) so they said its likely i am miscarrying now as apposed to having a missed m/c. i have to go back to the hosp tomorrow for an other blood test. I am atill bleeding with a few clots and  still have period-like pains. I think i SHOULD be worried but more opinions and experiences would help me to know how to feel. Do i grieve or do i have hope???? That is the question. Daisy x
Hi everyone,
I am on my second round of blood tests and ultrasounds as my first set (last week) were inconclusive. At about 5.5 weeks I had an HCG level of 44000 and two days later of 49000. My ultrasound showed a yolk sac and fetal pole - but no heartbeat.
The Doc is having me repeat everything this week to see of HCG levels are rising any further and if a heartbeat shows up on the U/S now that a little time has passed.
I am 43 and have had one blighted ovum and one healthy pregancy in the past. Anyone have any thoughts about my chances of a healthy pregnancy given the above info?
I have a very similar story to yours.According to my lmp (11-30-07) I should be 9 weeks tomorrow, but when I went to my 2nd Dr appt yesterday, I had an U/S & there was a sac, and a very tiny fetal pole, but he could not detect a heartbeat.Dr. told me it could be a miscalculation, which is possible since my periods are abnormal, usually about 30-34 days. So I'm keeping my finger's crossed & hoping that I may have conceived around the 22nd of Dec., which puts me at only 5 wks and 4 days gestational, as of yesterday, to soon to see a beating heart.He sent me also for 2nd round of HCG test yestrday(1st rnd was fine) & go again tomorrow to see if the pregnancy is progressing.I get results Monday. It's so stressful to wait for answers, but all we can do is relax, pray hope for the best!
Hi there,
I also have a question about HCG Levels. 1 week ago i was feeling diffrent and thought i would take a pregnancy test, it came bak possitive, then i took another one the next day, possitive again, i booked an appointment with my family doctor and had my first HCG test done.. the results came back that my level was 9. What does this mean? im reading everyones posts and most people have first HCG levels of like 100 and something.. mines 9?! I have another test next wednesday but i cant get it off of my mind. Does anyone know if 9 is normal for someone who might only be 2 weeks pregnant?
Hi i found out i was pregnant because i had such bad pains in my abdomin (abdomen) that i went to the ER and they first determined i was constipated.... how embarrasing!!.... anyways they also did a routine pregnancy test since the first day of my last period was the middle of june and now it is mid august. It came back positive and they did ultra sounds and saw nothing but cyst. I went to my OB and he has since done another ultra sound that showed the cyst had grown in a week and about 5 more blood test. Each blood test shows my HCG going up in about these incriments: 25, 45, 112, 202, 413. They are concerned since based on my menstral cysle i should be about 8 weeks or so but my test are showing only about 2-3 weeks. They were going to do surgery to remove the pregnancy because at first they thought it was ectopic and then i had pain. But the pain has died down to a period like pain and i have had no bleeding. i have another blood test tomorrow august 16th, and then ultra sounds and more test tuesday. they said there is only about a 5% chance this is a normal pregnancy. i am keeping my fingers cross and praying like crazy!!  
I went to the er yesterday because i really bad diarrea (diarrhea) and my stomach was cramping they said I was 4 weeks and 5 days but my hcg level was only 1326 I have to go back tomorrow to get my hcg levels done again plus the doctor said there was no visible yolk sac I just hope everything goes good y and my husband have been trying for 5 months and we are excited please everybody pray for us thank you

Jodie
Hi there. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years. Last June we thought we finally got there, only to find out it was ectopic.  A week ago, I had a positive pregnancy test, called my doctor and they sent me for blood work to test my levels. My level was 184. I went again for another test 3 days later, and my level was in the 600s.  according to my last period, i should be 5weeks, but my doctor is telling me that my levels say i should only be 3. having a previous ectopic pregnancy, i cant get my mind off this, and feel like im going to stress myself out over it. i just want to know that this baby is going to be okay. and advice?
I would first talk to your dr about how many rounds if clomed you have been on.
It is typically recommend that you only do 6 cycles of it due to the health risks to you the mother. They should have put you on some other fertility drug drug by now. I am speaking from experience about this. Being on the clomed for that long can cause cancer and other things. Just a warning for you, I hope you have better luck in the future.
I just found out that I was pregnant 2 weeks ago. My last cycle was Oct. 24 maybe 25 but I had some bleeding when they told me I was pregnant but after a couple days it stopped. the did Hcg blood test and it's climbing but it's climbing slow and I just need to know what to do. It's hard when he tells me he see a sac but the sac size telling him I'm only 4 wks but he calculate that I'm 6 wks.
Hi, nine sounds very normal for just conceiving. Every 48 hours your hcg levels double. Your next test should be 18, 48 hours later 36, ect. hope this helps!!
Dear all.

In february 2012 we found out we were pregnant, we were so happy and excited. We shared the news with everyone. We found out she was 4weeks pregnant. I took my wife to a Gynie at 5 1/2 weeks, who did an ultrasound and saw a gestational sac but no fetal pole, we also saw no heart beat.  Doc did blood tests and insured us that all was ok. She advised us to come back at 7weeks. We went back at 7weeks for a vaginal ultrasound. Still no heart beat, we saw something that looked like a fetal pole stuck to the uterine wall. The doc immediately took blood tests and everything was out of date in terms of bhcg and progesterone. They did a DNC a day later. The dr says it was a blighted ovum. We were devastated.. We as a couple had many arguments and blamed one another for a while, a couple of months went by and we just prayed about it and left it at that.

It is the 18th of July. My wife and I went to see a dr that deals with fertility and we were meant to start natural treatment via dieting etc and starting from there. The weekend came and we went to buy some groceries for our fertility treatment. My wife realised she had skipped her period, she took a pregnancy test.. to our surprise, the test was positive. She took 2 more after that which both confirmed "positive". I called the dr and explained everything to her. Dr immediately requested a (bhcg) test, pregnancy and progesterone test. Tests confirmed on the Sunday that she had a 860bhcg result and a 57progesterone count. 2 days later, the same test was done and results were 1036bhcg and still 57progesterone count. My wife is taking some vitamin tablets which our dr has prescribed. If her counts drop in the next week dr will put her on progesterone supplements. My wife is somewhere around 3-4 weeks according to our doctor.

Please can someone give me some advise. I am worried and I dont want her to get hurt or us hurting again after 2 previous m/c's.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
A&L
The doctors are saying I should be about 6 weeks my hcg levels are saying one to two weeks n I have went back twice to have my hcg levels tested and it is still going up could someone try to explain to me what is going on thanks