Maternal & Child Community
My OB prescribed Prilosec OTC
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My OB prescribed Prilosec OTC

I am freaking out here, I told my OB at my 12 week appointment that I am getting horrible heartburn and that nothing helps. He gave me a script to prilosec OTC and told me it was safe to take every day. I have not been taking it everyday but I have taken it a couple times a week since then.
Well, I just looked online and it is a category C drug and is not to be used during pregnancy especially not before 20 weeks. I am only 17 weeks and have been taking it since week 12! Why did he give this to me?!?!?
Related Discussions
10 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
"Why did he give this to me?!?!? "

Because:
1) Your doctor is a trained professional - it took many years for him to get to where he is.
2) Your doctor is up-to-date with current literature - there is often information that you can not access by a simple online search (or that information might be outdated).
3) Your doctor knows YOUR case history.
4) Your doctor weighed the benefits and risk in YOUR situation.

If you have any concerns regarding your doctors advice, let him know.
Blank
568659_tn?1256143582
Thanks, I just kinda freaked when I saw the words "do not take during pregnancy"
I know my OB is a VERY good doctor and he really cares about me and the baby.
Blank
I must also add. CALM DOWN. I have to take 2, not one but 2 class C drugs every day more than once a day in very high doses to LIVE while pregnant, but DD came out fine as I'm sure my second one will too. People see class c and freak out, which is stupid.
Blank
290867_tn?1333572878
I am sure it is safe. Your doctor knows whats in the best intrest of you and your baby. Julian is on it as well and he is only 7 months so I would find it to be just as safe for you! Good Luck and I hope th eheartburn clears up.
Blank
568659_tn?1256143582
Thanks ladies, although I don't think it is fair to say that it's stupid for me to freak out when I see Class C, I think it is completely normal for a pregnant women to worry about harming her baby.
Anyways, I will stop worrying so much.
Linzola- Poor guy, I hope his heartburn gets better, it is not fun. I'm sure mine will only get worse the further along I get as that's how it was when I was preggo with Noah.
Blank
Don't worry!  I took Prilosec during my pregnancy and everything turned out great!  The doc even said we could try Nexium as the next step...but thankfully the Prilosec worked.  :)
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
during my last pregnancy, my dr let me take it after 12 weeks. and he is extremely cautious with all medications.
I asked about it this time around, only in the first trimester. he told me it's preferrable that i not take anything but tums. BUT, if my symptoms are so bad that they are making me sick, then to take it. He said if i ended up in the hospital for hypermeses it's something they'd put in my IV anyways.
Blank
I told my GYN I was on it before I started to TTC, and he recommended I stay on it, because of the fact that pregnancy can cause heartburn.  I'm very stable on it, have not had any problems with heartburn more than 1 day during my pregnancy, and before.  I had tried to take myself off of it, just as a trial, and it didn't work out.
Blank
It is completely normal for you to be concerned and you are NOT stupid for being worried when you see the term "Class C".

Your doctor  weighed any potential risks with the benefits when prescribing the medicine and would not have suggested it  had he thought it would cause a problem.

Do let your doctor know your concerns at your next appointment though.  He will likely give you some statistics which will help ease your mind.
Blank
189192_tn?1261345228
By my dr instructions I took prilosec everyday after my first trimester. I suffered from intense heartburn the entire pg.. prilosec worked great as long as I took it everyday.  My heartburn was so intense, I would actually make myself vomit to try to get some kind of relief.  I don't know how I would have gotten through without the prilosec.

Good luck to you.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank