Maternal & Child Community
My Son has an Inguinal Hernia that the Dr. says will just go away?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have a 12 week old son.  When he was born his testicles hadn't come down yet.  They did when he was approx. 2 wks old.  When he was 5 wks old he was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia, a lump on the side of his groin, that has gone down on its own so far. We rushed him to the hospital with it the second time it happened because it was pretty big and the doctor asked us if we wanted him to set up a surgical consult or get our family doc to do it.  We opted to get our family doc to do it because we were seeing him that week anyways.  My doctor says that it should correct itself.  It has happened twice in the last week and a half so I started to read about it on the internet.  Every single article about it says that it has to be corrected surgically, that they do not go away on there own.  Has anyone else had any experience with this.  I don't want him to have surgery but I am scared that the hernia will get strangulated one of these times! Is my doctor wrong to say that it will correct itself?
Hi. I had a friend deliver a boy with this problem except when he was born his balls were about the size of a small orange. He had two hernia's in each one. They did surgery on them and everything went away there after. They told her that it was probably from  him being in her belly a month over due they figured because she bleed for the first five months of her pregnancy and they thought they had the due date right but when he was born 9lbs 10 ounces they figured they were wrong. Tracy
I think I would get a second opinion on that. Talk to another docter before making any decisions.
I was born with it on my belly button, I had surgery when I was two to remove it , it was pretty big my belly button was as big as a  strawberry, my sister had a baby with it born in her abdominal area and they gave her surgery right after birth,

but a co worker of mine said her son was born with one and the dr told her to press on it with neo sporin daily  and it would go away and it did,

I guess it depends on the hernia its self...= )

My sister just had a baby and he has hernia right on his belly bottom.  When she took him to the doctor the doctor told her that it was probably going to go away by itself because it was not so serious.  I guess it does depend on what kind of hernia it is.
My ex-sister in law had a little girl. They didn't know that she had a hernia behinde her belly button untill she was about a year old. They said they were going to let it go untill she was three to see if it would go away on it's own. She'll be four in a couple of days and it's still there and sticks out pretty far. She said that they'll probably have to do surgery on it to make it go away. But I guess some of them do eventually go away on there own. Tracy
My son was also born with the undecended testicles, and a double hernia.  They said most boys that are born with undecended testicles also ends up with a hernia. My son's testicles did'nt come down so they did the hernia and bringing them down where they belong at the same time. They said the hernias would'nt correct them selves.I would get an opinion from a specialist, thats where they sent me. Good luck to him.